No announcement yet.

Tolkiens son to continue dad's work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolkiens son to continue dad's work...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060918/..._new_tolkien_1

Unfinished Tolkien work to be published

Mon Sep 18, 12:17 PM ET

NEW YORK - An unfinished tale by J.R.R. Tolkien has been edited by his son into a completed work and will be released next spring, the U.S. and British publishers announced Monday.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Christopher Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on "The Children of Hurin," an epic tale his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Excerpts of "The Children of Hurin," which includes the elves and dwarves of Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" and other works, have been published before.

"It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the `Children of Hurin' as an independent work, between its own covers," Christopher Tolkien said in a statement.

The new book will be published by Houghton Mifflin in the United States and HarperCollins in England.

J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings Trilogy" has sold more than 50 million copies and was also adapted into a blockbuster, Academy Award-winning trio of films. A stage version is scheduled to open next year.

Sniper

Let me know how it is. I'm skeptical.
    Relax. It's worse than you think.

Comment

Will he have the touch?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

In my opinion Christopher Tolkien did a decent job with editing The Silmarillion and finishing up Unfinished Tales. I never did more than skim the thousand books of the "Lost Tales" - seemed like money-milking to me.

So I think he can pull off the feel of his father's voice, but a Tale of the Children of Hurin will be so incredibly dark (and long) that I wonder if it can be much fun to read more than we already have from the previous works.

I mean, Morgoth cursed Hurin and all his descendents, and when the Dark Lord lays a curse on you, he ain't kidding. I guess a neat thing would be that we might actually get a polished version of the Fall of Gondolin and the battle of Ecthelion by the fountain. So I'm sure I'll buy it.

And yeah ladies, I'm a LOTR geek and I'm still single, hubba hubba. ;)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
          So I'm sure I'll buy it. -dale
          As will I.
          As I have been a fan since the mid 70's.
          When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
          X