5 Years Ago Today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Years Ago Today...

It's a rainy and somber Sunday today, 9/10/06 - perfect for reminiscing.

5 years ago today I was unpacking a few boxes into the spare bedroom of my best friend's house here - he & I had unloaded the rental van from my move the night before when I arrived. I had already tried logging into my remote workstation at the office back in Michigan and anticipated a pretty slow day of work the next day. Later that week the new and serious business of shopping for a house would no-doubt begin.

-dale

To this day, I still try to avoid thinking about that those time, it's too much of an open wound.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I was the Officer of the Day for my Battalion. My retirement approval message was on the UnClass read board.

Comment

I was studying for anesthesia boards. Didn't study at all that day.

Posted this elsewhere four years ago today. I think it bears repeating (with updates):

I knew that I wanted to post something in memory of the attacks that occured in our country five years ago today, but I really didn't know what. Then xxxxxx posted this website.
        I went to the site, and tears came to my eyes. I knew what I wanted to say.

(Website removed, no longer on the web.)

3000+. That's a pretty big number. When you talk about 3000 + people dying in a matter of hours, it's pretty hard for the human mind to wrap itself around that number. It becomes just another statistic. Becoming just another statistic, it dulls the pain, it lessens the impact somehow. On this BB, we have argued over whether the fight was over, whether or not the US should proceed. These are all important topics, and need in a free society to be debated intelligently.

But, for just a few minutes today, I'll ask you to put the debate aside. Forget all the pros and cons. And, no matter how much it hurts, I'll ask you to personalize that 3000+ statistic.

For each of those 3000+ people, there was a beating heart that was stopped prematurely. There were hopes, there were dreams. There were plans for a life time, and plans for next weekend. Each of those 3000+ souls was a living, breathing person. They were sons and daughters. They were mothers and fathers. They were brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles and best friends. For each of them, a life was ended. For the uncounted number of people who loved them, lives were changed in a way that many of us will never understand. Hopes gone. Dreams stolen. Lives shattered.

Whatever you are doing today, whatever your beliefs, stop for a minute, and personalize that statistic. Put the people back in it. Remember them. If it suits you, pray for them, and for those who loved them. And vow that you will not forget them.

For all of the victims, all of their families, and everyone who loved them. Here's to you. Here's to hoping that where ever you are, you can again find joy. Here's to hoping it never happens again.

Kevin McHugh
        If you didn't pay any taxes, it's not a rebate. It's welfare.

Comment

WABers, meet the friend I've never met; kmchugh. Classy post, my friend.

Comment

I was the Duty Medic of the my Battalion, It was evening in Singapore and I was having dinner when I heard the news.......
            Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

I was pinning bugs, thinking about tomorrow morning's work-out schedule, memorizing the characteristics of the different insect families, taking breaks ogling the cute blonde sophomore when my world wasn't reduced to 8 mm, eyes glued to an observation microscope for hours on end.
              The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

THB, I don't recall what I was doing in September 10th 2001. It was probably just another lame Sunday trying to find something to do.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                  It's a rainy and somber Sunday today, 9/10/06 - perfect for reminiscing.

5 years ago today I was unpacking a few boxes into the spare bedroom of my best friend's house here - he & I had unloaded the rental van from my move the night before when I arrived. I had already tried logging into my remote workstation at the office back in Michigan and anticipated a pretty slow day of work the next day. Later that week the new and serious business of shopping for a house would no-doubt begin.

-dale
                  RIP to all who lost, and kudos to all who've since served.

All of them have my deepest respect.

Comment

You know what's really sad. I went to class today, and I haven't even heard the words 9/11, World Trade Center, or anything pertaining to the incident, much less than any reflecting on the incident.
                    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                        Remember.
                        Year 6.
                        When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Never forget. If we do, it WILL happen again.
                          If you didn't pay any taxes, it's not a rebate. It's welfare.

Comment

At 8:46 our Principal will get on the loud speaker and ask for a moment of silence. He encouraged everybody to wear red, white and blue today! A sad day to remember, but remember we will!

Our Army JR ROTC assembled in front of the school, raised the flag to half staff while a student played taps. A very moving moment!
                            Last edited by Southie; 11 Sep 07,, 14:40.
                            “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                            "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                            sigpic

Comment

It was 9 Sep late morning here or so.

I was in my Office and very busy, when the news was told to me.

I laughed and told the chap that he had gone nuts and it was a silly joke.

He switched on the TV and I was thunderstruck!

It was still unbelievable!

10 Sep.

It was the topic of the day!

11 Sep

The horror was sinking in!

All were giving their own ideas to the puzzle!
                              Last edited by Ray; 11 Sep 07,, 12:53.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X