Clear All

Originally posted by TopHatter
    Several.

In the USN:

Wyoming class (2 ships)
    New York class (2 ships)
    New Mexico class (3 ships)
    Tennessee class (2 ships)
    South Dakota class (6 ships) - Never built but designed with twelve 16-inch guns.
    Montana class (5 ships) - Never built but designed with twelve 16-inch guns.

Germany:
    Helgoland class
    France:
    Courbet class

Russia:
    Gangut class
    Imperatritsa Mariya class
    Borodino class battlecruiser (4 ships - none completed)

Austria-Hungary:
    Tegetthoff class

Italy:
    Andrea Doria class (Thirteen 12-inch guns)

Japan:
    Ise class (2 ships)

I might be missing a few
    HAH! You're WRONG! Neither the New York, Andrea Doria, OR Ise classes had 12 main guns. ;)
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Sorry about that. I tried to stop the little punk, but he's a wiry bugger. Anyhow, nice list. Thanks.
      I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral
        HAH! You're WRONG! Neither the New York, Andrea Doria, OR Ise classes had 12 main guns. ;)
        Hmph, thought I had erased the New York class before hitting submit.

As built, Andrea Doria and her sistership Caio Duilio had 13 main battery guns. During a refit they were removed.

Ditto Ise and Hyuga (12 down to 8).

;)
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
          I might be missing a few
          Completed ships only :

US Navy :
          Wyoming class (2 ships) : 12 x 12"/50 (6 x 2)
          Pennsylvania class (2 ships) : 12 x 14"/45 (4 x 3)
          New Mexico class (3 ships) : 12 x 14"/50 (4 x 3)
          Tennessee class (2 ships) : 12 x 14"/50 (4 x 3)

Royal Navy :
          Agincourt class (1 ship) : 14 x 12"/45 (7 x 2)

Germany :
          Nassau class (4 ships) : 12 x 11"/45 (6 x 2)
          Helgoland class (4 ships) : 12 x 12"/50 (6 x 2)

France:
          Courbet class (4 ships) : 12 x 12"/45 (6 x 2)

Russia :
          Gangut class (4 ships) : 12 x 12"/52 (4 x 3)
          Imperatritsa Maria (3 ships) : 12 x 12"/52 (4 x 3)

Austria-Hungary :
          Tegetthoff class (4 ships) : 12 x 12"/45 (4 x 3)

Italy :
          Dante Alighieri class (1 ship) : 12 x 12"/46 (4 x 3)
          Conte di Cavour class (3 ships) : 13 x 12"/46 (3 x 3 + 2 x 2 as built)
          Andrea Doria class (2 ships) : 13 x 12"/46 (3 x 3 + 2 x 2 as built)

Japan :
          Fuso class (2 ships) : 12 x 14"/45 (6 x 2)
          Ise class (2 ships) : 12 x 14"/45 (6 x 2 as built)

Argentina :
          Rivadavia class (2 ships) : 12 x 12"/50 (6 x 2)

Brazil :
          Minas Gerais class (2 ships) : 12 x 12"/45 (6 x 2)
          Last edited by Shipwreck; 30 Jul 06,, 13:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipwreck
            Completed ships only :
            And there's the rest of them :)
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Ever notice the Germans really like their 11" guns? I don't think anyone had 11" guns other than the Germans.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

And while they weren't a battleship class, the Alaska and the Guam, of the previous named class, had 12" guns, too!
                ---------------------------------------------------------
                ("Let him go! He'll be late and we'll be rid of him, too!"--Evil Fiend watching 007 on his way to stop a nuclear bomb, (w,stte), "Octopussy")

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Toby
                  Francis Scott Gibbs built a greyhound, her sleek lines represented speed! The longest holder of the Blue Ribband, this liner is still the pride of the American merchant marine. The SS United States.

I see her quite often. I heard stories not long ago that they were going to do something with her to restore her, But nothing has materialized as of yet. She sits at the bottom of Oregon ave and the old Delaware ave in Philadelphia.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

also to add to HMS Nelson the Queen Elizabeth was pretty amazing too.
                    Last edited by Stan; 01 Aug 06,, 00:56.
                    Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

Ok trivia question name the battleship in port aft of the Queen Elizibeth?

Comment

also which port

not knowing when this was taken but i think its safe to assume it we before world war 2.

the ship behind is also an elizabeth class bb. so could be one of the 4 other bb of this class

HMS Barham which was sunk on 25 nov 1941
                        HMS Malaya
                        HMS Valiant which was sunk in 1941 then raise and served in east till 1944
                        HMS Queen Elizabeth also sunk in 41 and raised again
                        HMS Wasprite

so its one of the other 4 eliabeth class just dont know which
                        Last edited by Stan; 01 Aug 06,, 13:56.
                        Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

The one in the back doesn't look like an Elizabeth class. The positioning of the casemate looks different. I need to check my battleship book when I get home.

The one in the back looks like a Revenge class. The aft mast is lower than the one on Elizabeth, and the casemate is set farther aft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ramillies_%2807%29
                          Last edited by gunnut; 01 Aug 06,, 18:44.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

IMO the one behind isint of the Elizabeth class. I could be wrong due to the quality of the picture but the second BB in line doesnt appear to be as wide or as "beamier" at the waterline. There is more confusion as to look at the side of Elizabeth. She still has her "birdbath" fighting tops but yet looks refitted due to her appearance at the waterline. And she still appears to be carrying her original casemates. The bridge featues on the second BB also appear to be different. (This may be because Elizabeth was a flag ship of the class) Good triva question though. Might the second one be a member of the "R" class BB's?

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                              Ok trivia question name the battleship in port aft of the Queen Elizibeth?
                              I don't know my British battleships as well as you guys do.

Comment

The only other ships than the "R" class battleships it might are the Renown or Repulse battlecruisers - not really sure due to the quality of the pic (honest, lol)

Comment

Working...
                                X