What do you do for Independence Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do for Independence Day?

This question is for everybody, not just Americans!

Last year in one of my classes, my professor spoke about how his family would read the Declaration of Independence to commemorate the 4th of July. Having heard that, it kind of made me feel bad that I had never really spent time on Independence Day to do something actually connected with Independence. Sure, I shoot off fireworks, fly the flag, but I never actually spent any time reflecting on the actual day of independence.

Anyways, I'm curious how others celebrate their day of independence, and if non-Americans could provide a quick blurb about how important their country's day of indepence is taken and what special customs and traditions they have, that'd be great.

BTW, I'll be spending this 4th of July in the Colonial Williamsburg area, and we'll attend a reading of the Declaration of Independence by one of the period actors. My oldest daughter is actually old enough now to have some concept of history, having learned about George Washington, Abe Lincoln, etc. in school this year, so I think that it'll be neat for her.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Originally posted by shek
    Anyways, I'm curious how others celebrate their day of independence, and if non-Americans could provide a quick blurb about how important their country's day of indepence is taken and what special customs and traditions they have, that'd be great.
    Scheme to get it revoked...

[wanders off muttering about colonial upstarts ;)]
    Rule 1: Never trust a Frenchman
    Rule 2: Treat all members of the press as French

Comment

This question is for everybody, not just Americans!

Last year in one of my classes, my professor spoke about how his family would read the Declaration of Independence to commemorate the 4th of July. Having heard that, it kind of made me feel bad that I had never really spent time on Independence Day to do something actually connected with Independence. Sure, I shoot off fireworks, fly the flag, but I never actually spent any time reflecting on the actual day of independence.

BTW, I'll be spending this 4th of July in the Colonial Williamsburg area, and we'll attend a reading of the Declaration of Independence by one of the period actors. My oldest daughter is actually old enough now to have some concept of history, having learned about George Washington, Abe Lincoln, etc. in school this year, so I think that it'll be neat for her.
      My son really took a great interest in history after the school trip to D.C. He still says it was the most valuable teachings he received during his entire years at school. My daughter can't wait until she goes.

As to July 4th, we drive to S.C. purchase about $500.00 of fireworks, and shoot them off our dock overlooking the lake behind our home. Many friends and family are invited, and we have a very good time.

Comment

Originally posted by pdf27
        Scheme to get it revoked...

[wanders off muttering about colonial upstarts ;)]
        I'm stocking up on ammo just in case them redcoats come back...
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
          I'm stocking up on ammo just in case them redcoats come back...
          LOL....hey, ya never know !. ;)

Comment

I fly all my flags( Don't tread on me etc...).Roast a hog and a turkey. quote Ben Franklin to my kids whenever they ask me when we are going to eat. I read The Declaration of Independence out loud before we eat.

If some of my old Marine buddies come down to celebrate with us ( at least 3 every year ) I set up a shooting match to see who can still shoot worth a darn.

After the sun goes down we will tip many drinks in celebration of those we have served with that get to be young Marines, sailors and soldiers forever... and we envy them... . That goes on until we must sleep.

This year will be extra special. My older Brother who is ending his service in the Marines and my nephew who is ending his fourth but not last year in the Marines will be joining us for our celebration. We are most fortunate to have them with us.

The next day the celebration continues until the hog is gone or the company is.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnekgun
              I fly all my flags( Don't tread on me etc...).Roast a hog and a turkey. quote Ben Franklin to my kids whenever they ask me when we are going to eat. I read The Declaration of Independence out loud before we eat.

If some of my old Marine buddies come down to celebrate with us ( at least 3 every year ) I set up a shooting match to see who can still shoot worth a darn.

After the sun goes down we will tip many drinks in celebration of those we have served with that get to be young Marines, sailors and soldiers forever... and we envy them... . That goes on until we must sleep.

This year will be extra special. My older Brother who is ending his service in the Marines and my nephew who is ending his fourth but not last year in the Marines will be joining us for our celebration. We are most fortunate to have them with us.

The next day the celebration continues until the hog is gone or the company is.

Wow that sounds really fun, no sarcasm or anything. I'd love to come to a Southern BBQ sometime. I like your 4th of July and have always liked that you Yanks go overboard, even if I inwardly giggle about how you silly buggers left the glorious Commonwealth. ;)

I still get bagged on for still having a Canadian flag on my backpack after so long travelling and I fully intend to keep it there. On Canada Day the 1st of July I would go into Vancouver and skate, drink, and go down to the beach to watch the fireworks and then stumble home and avoid the fights. I always looked forward to Canada Day and would flat out tell employers do not schedule me I'm not coming in and will call in sick if I have too.

This year in Amsterdam I'm going to put my full size Canadian flag which was bought at Canadian Tire on my bike and try and find other Canucks to get pissed with and run around the city. I wish I was home for it though.

True North Strong and Free!
              Originally posted by GVChamp
              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Fly your flag proud

Have a happy and safe Canada Day Expat Canuck. I cannot speak for all from the Southern United States But should you find yourself cycling past my house and you smell something good to eat stop on in. You and your flag would be welcomed to share our bounty here.

Comment

Being the teenager I am, most of my 4th of July's are spent detonating firecrackers and other things (not all of them legal...) and hanging out with friends. But the reflection on what the 4th of July really means is still there.
                  "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Fly my flags including the Naval Jack "Don't Tread on Me". Water the roof down thoroughly. Make sure smoke alarms have fresh batteries. Give dogs tranquilizers. Have a barbeque over at future son-in-law's house. Run home to make sure it's not on fire from illegal fireworks. Cuddle dogs for at least half an hour as they are still jumping from illegal firecrackers.

At least it's not like New Years Eve whereas if I go outside I have to wear a steel helmet for falling bullets.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Canuck
                      Wow that sounds really fun, no sarcasm or anything. I'd love to come to a Southern BBQ sometime. I like your 4th of July and have always liked that you Yanks go overboard, even if I inwardly giggle about how you silly buggers left the glorious Commonwealth. ;)
                      Don't think that we don't have plans for a 51st state. ;)
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Right now, I am at a family friend's house in Chatham, Massachusetts. It is a nice place, but it is crowded with police. Since the area is a wasp nest, there is not much for the police to do, other than write parking tickets for Mercedes and Jaguars, and bust rich white teenagers with marijuana.

There is one thing the police like to do though - bust amateur firework shows.

Our friend likes to shoot off a tremendous amount of fireworks every Independence Day (or more appropriately - Independence Night). Enough in his words to 'take over a small country.' I don't know what country that would be (maybe Monaco), but it is truly an amazing amount of ordinance.

Unfortunately for him, the local police do not appreciate this. So a few years back a police officer shows up at my friend's house around 4:00 pm, well before any shots were fired. He said, rather nonchalantly, that there would be 'absolutely no fireworks' that night. He made it clear that if there were any, my friend would be arrested.

Fortunately for him, my friend lives on a lake. Each night of the 4th, the whole lake participates in a joint party at my friend's house. Therefore, he has the cooperation of all the families on the lake. So when night fell, he moved all the fireworks to another house on the side of the lake opposite his own. He then tied all the fireworks to one fuse and lit them - scurrying back over to his house in a boat. The fireworks went off for about half an hour, illuminating and deafening all of Chatham in a firework extravaganza reminiscent of V for Vendetta.

The cops saw the prodigious fireworks display from town, and came up the hill with all the lights flashing. An enraged police officer stormed up to my friend and was about to arrest him for putting on the fireworks, but then he noticed that the fireworks were coming from across the lake. My friend smugly offered to make the officer coffee and wished him a happy independence day. The cops could do nothing but fume and know that my friend had foiled them.

So this Fourth of July, we just have to wait to see which house the police show up at in the afternoon and then move the fireworks to the other side of the lake. We get a lot of pleasure by tricking the 5 - 0.

Comment

I'll be doing end of the quarter paperwork! Oh joy!
                          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

For me in India on 15th August (our Independence day), I drop my wife to the school where she works for her flag hoisting ceremony and mass (its a catholic school), while wait act as the chauffer and wait in the car.

I scan the papers to check on the military decorations and awards announced for the past year. Later in the day I repeat the story about our freedom to my 6 year old daughter.

In our housing society we have the flag hoisting and a small get-to-gether for fun and games, pot lunch, and booze.

When I was serving then, the officers get invited by the JCOs (equivalent to warrent officers) to their mess for drinks (the officers reciprocate on Republic Day i.e 26th January). When I was in J&K, I use to distribute sweets to the children in the two villages under my area of responsibility.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnekgun
                              Have a happy and safe Canada Day Expat Canuck. I cannot speak for all from the Southern United States But should you find yourself cycling past my house and you smell something good to eat stop on in. You and your flag would be welcomed to share our bounty here.

Precisely why I always defend you guys from smartmouthed Euroland ****s.
                              I of course join in sometimes but only when someone mentions igloo's or Southpark.

Go Terrence and Phillip!
                              Originally posted by GVChamp
                              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X