Clear All

• McCartney in Moscow

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
    They leave the West behind
    And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
    That Georgia's always on my my my my my my my mind
    sigpic

Comment

• Just re-watched 'Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me'. Brilliant & sad all at once, especially the tortured genius of Chris Bell. if you have never heard 'No.1 Record' then do it. Easily one of the best albums of the 70s. These guys should have been superstars.

Seems to summarize Alex Chilton's life:

Partly inspired by Alex & Chris seeing the Beatles in Memphis when they were 13. Chris is the one with the mo, Alex is in red.

A bit harder:

From their second album, one of the greatest pop songs of all time:

Chris Bell's last contribution

No.1 Record in full. Leave it on while you do something else & have a listen. It is GREAT!!

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Chris Bell was never cut out for the world of rock'n'roll. Too sensitive. Too tortured by his own demons. To desperate for recognition. The failure of 'No.1 Record' to achieve any public notice & the pressure of life in a band led to erratic behaviour, drug use & a suicide attempt. He was also tortured by depression & an inability to deal with his sexuality, seeking a haven in drugs & religion at different times. Saddest of all, he could never get his music recognized.

His brother David, his sister & their parents continued to support him. David said that when he first sat down in Chris' bedroom & listened to No.1 Record he wept - he was just so proud that his little brother had produced such beautiful music. Desperate to keep his spirits up David took him all over Europe trying to record & promote his solo work. It didn't work, but what was recorded was magnificent. In the end he was reduced to working in his dad's fast food restraint in a town just outside Memphis. One night in 1978, on the way home from work, he crashed his car. No drugs or alcohol were found in his system. He was 27.

So beautiful. The photo was taken by his brother in the Swiss alps.

Alex Chilton sang backup on this track & encouraged Chris to release it as a B side to 'I am the Cosmos'. In a terrible twist Chris was buried on December 28, Alex's birthday.

More beautiful pain in song. So raw.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• Astounding. Dude was 65 when he cut this track. I'm listening and thinking how it reminds me of this-

Serious heavy proto-headbanger blues. Early Zep might easily have tried covering this. And failed. Guy is awesome here. Particularly his vocals.

Thanks.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Been a while...

Lot's of history attached to this song (Mine and world music's).

P.S. Please don't bring Manson. OK?
              Last edited by Doktor; 27 Jan 14,, 00:21.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Steve Goodman was an awesome singer songwriter who we lost too early to leukemia in 1984. Here is singing as song he wrote made famous by Arlo Guthrie.

And Here is Arlo's cover.

A ton of artists would go on and record Goodman's songs to include Guthrie, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Buffet, Steve Martin, Dylan, John Prine (with whom he cowrote several songs), Judy Collins, Chet Atkins and Willie Nelson.

I'll be posting more of him soon.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Comment

• IDK what it is about this song, but it stuck in my head.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Antidote...

Comment

• Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Comment

Comment

• No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X