Russian 'suicide blast' kills 37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigross86
    How many 'stans are there exactly? Seems every week I hear of a new one.
    As far as actual countries go, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Kazahkstan, Turkmenistan, Khyrzygstan, Tajikstan, Afghanistan.

The are other stans though, but they are usually a part of another country, such as Dagestan, Tatarstan in Russia, Kurdistan in Iran, Turkey, Iraq.

NWFP areas of Pakistan are commonly referred to as "Paktuhnistan" "Pashtunistan" etc. The parts of Iran and Pakistan populated by Balochs is referred to as Balochistan.

India is sometimes referred to as Hindustan.

"Stan" just means "land", like Scotland, England, Ireland, Deustchland, Nederland, etc.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
      The Russians can't give up. It was the Chechen invasion of Dagestan that caused this current war. It's better to fight Chechens in Chechnya instead of on Russian soil.
      That was the work of Basayev & Khattab. That invasion started with Wahabbi's in Dagestan, that didn't want to follow the local laws. So they were kicked out.

But before that. Those three apartment bombings occured. Without an investigation...In fact. The ruins were quickly cleared away by the Russian Federation. And Chechnya was invaded again.

And before that...Chechnya declared itself independant after the Soviet Union collapsed. The newly formed Russian Federation simply said "no". And the first invasion was underway.

Don't overlook the fact that the Kremlin doesn't want to let Chechnya break away from the Russian Federation. Out of fear that all the other small states might do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
        Don't overlook the fact that the Kremlin doesn't want to let Chechnya break away from the Russian Federation. Out of fear that all the other small states might do the same.
        Adds to the fact that the Russians could not let Chechnya go. Don't think Putin got the stomache for a Stalin style solution but it wouldn't surprised me if a future Russian leader would repeat that ethnic cleansing/genocide.

Comment

Originally posted by ironman420

"Stan" just means "land", like Scotland, England, Ireland, Deustchland, Nederland, etc.
          Actually it is sthan. This means 'place'. So, Pakistan would mean Land of the Pure, Pak means Pure. Afghanisthan would mean where Afghans stay and so on.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
            Adds to the fact that the Russians could not let Chechnya go. Don't think Putin got the stomache for a Stalin style solution but it wouldn't surprised me if a future Russian leader would repeat that ethnic cleansing/genocide.
            If I was a betting man. I'd even bet my own soul that if the Russian Federation molds Chechnya to thier liking. They'd still keep the current stanglehold on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
              A country reverting back to Communism or a Muslim Cluster Fuck of a country. Let them all die.
              You hate a communist as much as a muslim extremist/fundamentalist? Reagan must be proud of you!

OKAY, I also don't like communists. I wouldn't want to have them here in Western-Europe. Not even in Russia, because it might "spread" like it did after the second world war.

But when you think of it, during the cold war... did we hear about "communist suicide bombers"? Aside, of course, from some terrorist-groups in Greece [17 November], Germany [Rote Armee Fraction], Italy [Brigate Rosse] and the guerrilla/terrorist attacks done by the Vietcong in Vietnam against American and South-Vietnamese troops. And then, those attacks weren't against civilian targets.

Comment

Originally posted by eMGee
                You hate a communist as much as a muslim extremist/fundamentalist? Reagan must be proud of you!
                Possibly worse. It's the first hatred that really stays with you.

Didn't know about any rewards or making Ex-Presidents proud. But the senior class trip to Lithuania in 93 was very enlightening.

Saw photos of Soviet attrocities, Lithuania's t.v. tower.

Met a Chechen or two for the first time. (Gotta love thier utter refusal to have a hungry guest)

Chechen food = all that & a bottle of Faygo.

Russian food = nightmares about cabbage for a month.

Comment

You sound like an extremely reasonable man... :wacko

Comment

Originally posted by eMGee
                    You sound like an extremely reasonable man... :wacko
                    I AM a reasonable person.

It's not my fault bread line forming Commie trash always gets on the same boat as a large portion of the Middle Eastern People I've met.

Comment

M21Sniper
                      >They can keep doing us all a favor by killing eachother.

Would you be offended if someone said that about 9/11? Or about tens of Americans and hundreds of Iraqis who are dying in Iraq every week?

Praxus
                      >A country reverting back to Communism or a Muslim Cluster Fuck of a country. Let them all die.

Wow. You'de make a very good German citizen in the Holocaust era. You'de probably make very efficient ovens. Or you'de make sure that trains with Jews would get to their designation places on time. Hmm...or maybe you could even work as an SS guard! I think you've got the guts for that.

Lunatock
                      >Saw photos of Soviet attrocities, Lithuania's t.v. tower.

Exactly what attrocities? And to who? Lithuanians? The country that is currently building monuments to its SS volunteers? How about some of THEIR attrocities during WW2? Heard anything about that?

>Met a Chechen or two for the first time. (Gotta love thier utter refusal to have a hungry guest)

Um, was it in Chechnya? If so, you are lucky that they hadn't kept you as a hostage. Sadly enough, Chechens are not fighting against Russia right now. Bands of thugs who know nothing but war, and a number of terrorists from all over the world are.

>Russian food = nightmares about cabbage for a month.

You're confusing Russia with West Virginia, I believe.

>It's not my fault bread line forming Commie trash always gets on the same boat as a large portion of the Middle Eastern People I've met.

So, who is the "Big Satan" for the Middle Eastern countries? Oddly enough, it's not Russia.

Comment

Wow. You'de make a very good German citizen in the Holocaust era. You'de probably make very efficient ovens. Or you'de make sure that trains with Jews would get to their designation places on time. Hmm...or maybe you could even work as an SS guard! I think you've got the guts for that.
                        I'm Sorry, unlike some people in this forum I am not an anti-semite.

Would you be offended if someone said that about 9/11? Or about tens of Americans and hundreds of Iraqis who are dying in Iraq every week?
                        No one can morally equate the lives of Americans with that of Militant Isalmists or Russian pro-communists.
                        Last edited by Praxus; 13 Dec 03,, 20:28.

Comment

Originally posted by russo
                          Lunatock
                          >Saw photos of Soviet attrocities, Lithuania's t.v. tower.

Exactly what attrocities? And to who? Lithuanians? The country that is currently building monuments to its SS volunteers? How about some of THEIR attrocities during WW2? Heard anything about that?

Yeah. A few unfortunate citizens of Vilinius. That underestimated the cruelty of Russian tankers.

Second time I've heard this claim, about those awfull Lithuanian's that turned thier back on the wonderfull Communist rule they were priviliged to have forced on the.

Rather than say it. Bring forth some pictures.

>Met a Chechen or two for the first time. (Gotta love thier utter refusal to have a hungry guest)

Um, was it in Chechnya? If so, you are lucky that they hadn't kept you as a hostage. Sadly enough, Chechens are not fighting against Russia right now. Bands of thugs who know nothing but war, and a number of terrorists from all over the world are.
                          No, a few of them that were living in Vilinius at the time. And thier kindness, unlike thier cruelty. Is miles ahead of Russia's.

>Russian food = nightmares about cabbage for a month.

You're confusing Russia with West Virginia, I believe.
                          cabbage in hamburgers. cabbage in pancakes. Cabbage soup. cabbage might have been in the coffee & hot chocolate, hadn't anyone asked it not to be.

Another non-proven claim. Think we should let SNS have at this guy, for bashing West Virginia? :devil

>It's not my fault bread line forming Commie trash always gets on the same boat as a large portion of the Middle Eastern People I've met.

So, who is the "Big Satan" for the Middle Eastern countries? Oddly enough, it's not Russia.
                          It's human nature to hate the top dog. sadly for you. Russia isn't the most hated. Despite thier antics in Chechnya.

Comment

Praxus
                            I'm Sorry, unlike some people in this forum I am not an anti-semite.
                            So, you're saying that while "Kill all the Jews" is wrong, "Kill all the Russians and Muslims" is right?

No one can morally equate the lives of Americans with that of Militant Isalmists or Russian pro-communists
                            Strangly enough, I can. How is 9/11 different from attacks in Moscow or Istanbul? Explain please

Lunatock
                            Second time I've heard this claim, about those awfull Lithuanian's that turned thier back on the wonderfull Communist rule they were priviliged to have forced on the.
                            I am not talking about that. I am talking about thousands of volunteers to the Waffen SS from that country, volunteers that eagerly performed all the normal SS tasks, such as: killing civilians, entorrogating, guarding death camps. Lithuania is buliding memorials to these "freedom fighters." Doesn't that mean anything to you?

No, a few of them that were living in Vilinius at the time. And thier kindness, unlike thier cruelty. Is miles ahead of Russia's.
                            That's great. Now visit Chechnya, and if you're lucky enough not to get captured by the terrorists there, ask the local people what do they think about the independence. Or you can ask the peopleof Republic of Dagestan, which was attacked by Chechens in 1999.

cabbage in hamburgers. cabbage in pancakes. Cabbage soup. cabbage might have been in the coffee & hot chocolate, hadn't anyone asked it not to be.
                            Oh god! You've been mugged! That's not Russian at all. My advice to you: don't eat in so-called "Russian restourants" and don't watch the Hollywood production about the Russian food. Wait, the food in these movies is actually pretty good. Where did you get the cabbage theme?

Another non-proven claim. Think we should let SNS have at this guy, for bashing West Virginia?
                            Haha, you Americans make fun of them all the time. Would you SNS me if I said something about the Canadians?

Plus, don't you think this place will become boring without people like me? "Us rules. Yup. Yup. Russia sucks. Yup. Yup" You need someone to steer up all the excitement! :-)
                            Last edited by russo; 13 Dec 03,, 22:09.

Comment

Originally posted by russo
                              Praxus

So, you're saying that while "Kill all the Jews" is wrong, "Kill all the Russians and Muslims" is right?

Strangly enough, I can. How is 9/11 different from attacks in Moscow or Istanbul? Explain please

Lunatock

No. Killing is killing. In the case of Chechen Rebels vs. Alpha force. Rebels take the hostages. And the majority are executed by the Alpha's.

Istanbul is believed to be Al-Qaeda's handywork. No different from the WTC attacks, Kenya attacks, USS Cole attack, ect.

I am not talking about that. I am talking about thousands of volunteers to the Waffen SS from that country, volunteers that eagerly performed all the normal SS tasks, such as: killing civilians, entorrogating, guarding death camps. Lithuania is buliding memorials to these "freedom fighters." Doesn't that mean anything to you?
                              Yes! it means your claim will be taken as BS, until some video or pics of that are brought to me.

That's great. Now visit Chechnya, and if you're lucky enough not to get captured by the terrorists there, ask the local people what do they think about the independence. Or you can ask the peopleof Republic of Dagestan, which was attacked by Chechens in 1999.
                              Don't think I'm crazy for this one. But after reading an interview by Robert Young Pelton. He was shot an e-mail, and asked if he ever made it back to Chechnya. Like he said he'd want to visit again.

No answer. :cry It's not like I'd screw him over like a certain Turkisk Camerman did.

National Geographic Adventure subscription. RYP & Aukai Collins would probably go 'Tock hunting :fear

Well, that and lacking the slimey backstabbing POS qualities of Sadat Ural.

(And I'd still go, at the least risking a "pile on" by Aukai, and maybe a few Rebels. For some jokes at thier expense.)

Oh god! You've been mugged! That's not Russian at all. My advice to you: don't eat in so-called "Russian restourants" and don't watch the Hollywood production about the Russian food. Wait, the food in these movies is actually pretty good. Where did you get the cabbage theme?
                              No. That was all stuff that was made for us by a nearby cafeteria. Did eat at a few restaurants. Less of a "eat what we make you" sort of thing. The stuff that was made for us had cabbage-a-plenty.

We ordered something from the restaurants. And there was nothing we didn't ask for included.

Haha, you Americans make fun of them all the time. Would you SNS me if I said something about the Canadians?

Plus, don't you think this place will become boring without people like me? "Us rules. Yup. Yup. Russia sucks. Yup. Yup" You need someone to steer up all the excitement! :-)
                              You get my guarantee that I wouldn't "SNS you" for dissing Canada. (within reason of board rules). Can't say the same thing for OOE.

Last paragraph. same as above. Don't follow in S_Qwert63's & Mayhem's footsteps.

Anyhow. No reply from Robert Young Pelton. Guess that means no ultra risky trip. Just to see some fresh Russian Monsterism's.

But there's still Israel. And hating myself for how slowly the funds are being built up. And in some perfectly good timing...Passport expired this year. :dontcare :brick

Comment

"No. Killing is killing. In the case of Chechen Rebels vs. Alpha force. Rebels take the hostages. And the majority are executed by the Alpha's."

I had a different occasion in mind. A few years ago two apartment complexes in moscow weree blown up. Around 1000 people died. Now, does that resemble 9/11? Russia and US are in the same boat.

"Yes! it means your claim will be taken as BS, until some video or pics of that are brought to me."

I am extremely sorry! Lithuania has nothing to do with SS monuments. In fact it is Latvia that is building them(http://english.pravda.ru/world/20/92...78_Latvia.html) I apologize again, it's easy to confuse the Baltic states in English for me.

"That was all stuff that was made for us by a nearby cafeteria."

Well, trust me, Russian food is good. But the one they make in cafetirias-yack. I advice to visit some Russian family next time. You will ave the best meal ever, and you even might change your mind about Russians. We're not that bad after all

"Don't follow in S_Qwert63's & Mayhem's footsteps."

I won't. I have nothing against the US, I just don't like when people bash Russia for no reason (or for things that US is doing as well)

Truly yours :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X