Largest Democracy in the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest Democracy in the world

Aligarh, April 8 (IANS) No fresh violence was reported Saturday from any part of Aligarh where communal clashes left five dead this week, but indefinite curfew continues in parts of the Uttar Pradesh town.

'Curfew will remain clamped for some time and shoot-at-sight orders will also remain in force for at least another day until tempers calm down and the culprits are put behind bars,' principal home secretary Satish Kumar Agarwal told IANS.

About 70 people are under arrest for the violence.

On Friday, Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav ordered the suspension of six senior Aligarh officials, including senior superintendent of police Ajay Anand as well as district magistrate R.K. Singh.

'They were suspended along with four other officials for dereliction of duty,' an official spokesman told reporters.

'We are convinced that serious lapses on their part caused the situation to take an ugly turn on Thursday,' he added.

Trouble had initially erupted over prayers at a Hindu temple on the occasion of Ram Navami, marking the conclusion of the nine-day Navratra festival Thursday.

Earlier on, Muslims in the locality objected to the decoration and illumination undertaken on the previous night as also against the use of loudspeakers for the ritual. They claimed such a practice was a deviation from the routine prayers at the temple.

An altercation ensued, but following the intervention of local officials and senior citizens, things were settled. However when Hindus put up loudspeakers for the main Ram Navami festival Thursday, they were challenged by a group of Muslims following which there was a free-for-all with stones, rods, bamboos, knives and even guns from both sides.

While two people were killed Thursday, three succumbed to their injuries Friday.

Of the dozen people still hospitalised from injuries sustained in the clashes, one was stated to be 'critical' after receiving gunshots during the course of the curfew late Friday afternoon.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/060408/43/63ezw.html

what i want to know is why where tehse muslims protesting hindu's praying?!

It is better to have a curfew rather than have folks killed because of stupid communal rifts.

Actually loudspeakers are a nuisance. They should not be allowed. Even the loudspeakers of the mosques that are used at full volumes five times a day should be stopped.

Unfortunately, it will affect the votes and those parties who bank heavily on the Moslems will shrivel up and die if this is enforced!
    Last edited by Ray; 08 Apr 06,, 15:01.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by platinum786
      Earlier on, Muslims in the locality objected to the decoration and illumination undertaken on the previous night as also against the use of loudspeakers for the ritual. They claimed such a practice was a deviation from the routine prayers at the temple.
      Insane idiots. The next time they croon over the loud speakers in the morning, may be the hindus in the locality should do the same thing. And them idiots talking about the practice as a deviation, when did muslims started their tradtion, from time immemorial?
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

And yeah Platinum, next time dont post your sensational headline to a story that you didnt write, leave it aside to the real journalists.
        A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Excuse me....nobody has answered why this problem happened?

Why did these people object to loudspeakers in the temple?! It baffles me.

Also the bold print was to highlight that even in India a heavy hand is taken at time to control law and order situations, it's to remind all of us that sensationalizing little things like Akbar Bugti to a civil war should not be done.

Afterall this event was a misunderstanding, not the reformation of Pakistan and India again. Let us all think about what we post and more importantly how we post.

Comment

Also i'd like to add, do you really have to listen to the azaan on loudspeakers every morning?! That must be quite a disturbance if you don't usually get up at the crack of dawn.

Comment

Platinum,

My mother said that the azan was quite nice even at the crack of dawn in her town before Partition since those days it was not on loudspeakers.

I tried my best to appreciate and I thought what I heard in Malaysia was not jarring.

But in India, the muezzin thinks that unless the loudspeakers fall off the roof with the noise, the azan has not been done correctly.

The noise is deafening and even if one is thinking of God, the muezzin drives him to hell!

You can bank on them to wreck up something that otherwise should be pleasant.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by platinum786
                Also i'd like to add, do you really have to listen to the azaan on loudspeakers every morning?! That must be quite a disturbance if you don't usually get up at the crack of dawn.
                i face the same problem too. its a very disturbing noice.
                Even if u are up its a disturbing noice to bear.

Comment

When i went to Pakistan my uncle used to read the Azaan in the morning, used to wake me up every morning, so i decided to sleep late, used to sleep 1-2am....then i could even sleep right outside a few stories above the actaul loudspeaker....wouldn't hear a thing, only the bright sunlight of mid moprning would wake me.

lol

Comment

Working...
                  X