Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historical Reasons for USA’s Prominence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical Reasons for USA’s Prominence?

I’ve been wondering what was it back in the early days that gave the spurt to the USA to succeed the way it did?
    Even after it had won its War of Independence, there were other nations on the American continent that could have developed into something that rivalled USA. Canada and the Spanish/Portuguese speaking South American nations.
    They too had the potential, in room for growth on a largely underpopulated continent, together with common cultures and languages.
    Yet somehow USA came out on top.
    I’m just wondering what the mechanisms were that made it possible.
    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Originally posted by Amled
    I’m just wondering what the mechanisms were that made it possible.
    The American Civil War. They became a nation and united after that and I cannot remember another Civil War in which the victor so willingly (at least the leader) tried to welcome back his former foes into the family.

Comment

The answer is, quite simply, that we're Americans. We believe we have a purpose and we don't let much stand in our way. We believe in hard work (or at least we used to), civilian control of the military, and smooth transfers of power. We don't idolize our Generals overmuch, don't respect heritage to too great a degree, and like our privacy.

We don't like messy situations and go for the long fix, and when we come to town we just want to shoot the bad guys, have a drink, kiss the girl, and move on to the next job.

-dale

Comment

Lots of reasons, sheer size, population for one. Which of course equals economic and industrial potential. However, unlike the other large and populace nations the US was lucky in the sence that it was more or less uninvadable.

THe Mexican War (rather than the US civil war) is one I believe really ensured the prominance of the US, since it ensured that (in North America at least) would be the only power, Amled, you forget the fact that Mexico was quite a threth to US domination for a long time.
        "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

1. American exceptionalism, as Dale pointed out, is the motivation and inspiration that has guided American actions for more than two centures. Whether it was Manifest Destiny (the movement to expand across the continent to the West Coast) or the Pax Americana during the Cold War, exceptionalism has always been a driving force.

2. Owning most of a continent with abundant natural resources has fueled economic growth, and being protected by oceans on two sides allowed the US to grow relatively unmolested until it began to slowly flex it muscles in the 1890s.

3. By absorbing immigrants left and right for much of its history, the melting pot has allowed the US to sustain large periods of substantial growth and to build a strong national identity with the strengths of all its absorbed citizens.

4. As OoE pointed out, the American Civil War changed "the United States" into "The United States."
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
            Lots of reasons, sheer size, population for one. Which of course equals economic and industrial potential. However, unlike the other large and populace nations the US was lucky in the sence that it was more or less uninvadable.
            On the contrary, the U.S. was quite invadable across two long borders and two long coastlines, it's just that the U.S. was never invaded successfully. Certainly we benefitted from relatively weak neighbors, but then that raises the question again - why are our neighbors relatively weak (or even crippled, in the case of Mexico) when we have become relatively and absolutely strong, on the same continent?

I believe it's mainly the luck of abiding by the Protestant Work Ethic.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
              why are our neighbors relatively weak (or even crippled, in the case of Mexico) when we have become relatively and absolutely strong, on the same continent?
              Because you were hornier than we were?

Comment

You want a reason? Most major one is that US is a european power that from almost its beggining being receiving the advantages of the industry and technology of Europe yet was geographically far away enough from Europe to not be influenced by its on goings. US had the most powerful economy since 1888 (or 86, not sure) this is because while the Europeans were trying to devide up unindustrialized, uncivilized colonies in Africa and elsewhere and wasting tons of money and resources in the process US was far away from all that just chilling and trading with everyone, then WW1 happened, US was untouched Europe was destroyed, then WW2 happened same thing all over again. Basically you guys just got lucky in that during the imperial age you were thousands of miles away from those who could destroy you, thats why you won your revolution, thats why you didn't loose the war of 1812, its all because of your geographical position and cultural affiliation.

Путин: Надо отделить мух от мяса.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                  Because you were hornier than we were?
                  ;) I think that's referred to as the Catholic "workin' it" Ethic. ;)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Rusky
                    You want a reason? Most major one is that US is a european power that from almost its beggining being receiving the advantages of the industry and technology of Europe yet was geographically far away enough from Europe to not be influenced by its on goings. US had the most powerful economy since 1888 (or 86, not sure) this is because while the Europeans were trying to devide up unindustrialized, uncivilized colonies in Africa and elsewhere and wasting tons of money and resources in the process US was far away from all that just chilling and trading with everyone, then WW1 happened, US was untouched Europe was destroyed, then WW2 happened same thing all over again. Basically you guys just got lucky in that during the imperial age you were thousands of miles away from those who could destroy you, thats why you won your revolution, thats why you didn't loose the war of 1812, its all because of your geographical position and cultural affiliation.
                    But you can't answer it in a vacuum. Canada (and Mexico to a lesser degree) also had protected coasts, vast resources, and a European heritage. Why are they not us? Why are we not them?

-dale

Comment

But you can't answer it in a vacuum. Canada (and Mexico to a lesser degree) also had protected coasts, vast resources, and a European heritage. Why are they not us? Why are we not them?

-dale
                      Because US was accepting the vast amount of immigrants from Europe, which were the most active people from their countries. Some of which aleady had an education, and all of which had a will to change their life.

I.e population increased, and all this addition were very active people.

Comment

Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers - The American Civil War. They became a nation and united after that and I cannot remember another Civil War in which the victor so willingly (at least the leader) tried to welcome back his former foes into the family.
                        I fully concur, that the Civil War and the aftermath fully united the the US.
                        But what about pre-war, in spite of the slavery and states rights questions, it was still growing by leaps and bounds surpassing both Canada and its southern neighbours.
                        Being a Canadian myself I wonder why we; who were already united. did not attracts the same number of emigrants as the US did?
                        Was it a deliberate ploy of the British Empire, in that they wanted to use it as a dumping ground for their own excess population from the British Isles?

Originally Posted by sparten - …you forget the fact that Mexico was quite a threat to US domination for a long time.
                        No, I didn’t forget.
                        But I do not think that Mexico was a real threat to US domination, more a temporary hindering to their southern expansion. But the revolt in Texas and Santa Anna’s defeat both by Texas and later in the Americans in US-Mexico War put a stop to that.

Originally Posted by shek - …Owning most of a continent with abundant natural resources has fueled economic growth, and being protected by oceans on two sides allowed the US to grow relatively unmolested until it began to slowly flex it muscles in the 1890s.

…By absorbing immigrants left and right for much of its history, the melting pot has allowed the US to sustain large periods of substantial growth and to build a strong national identity with the strengths of all its absorbed citizens.
                        Both these points could also referee to your northern neighbour, which if I remember correctly is even marginally larger then the US.

Originally Posted - dalem - I believe it's mainly the luck of abiding by the Protestant Work Ethic.
                        Again; at the risk of sounding repetitive, the same applies to Canada (bar Quebec) in regards to a large protestant population.

Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers - Because you were hornier than we were?
                        That just may be the root cause.
                        When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

But you can't answer it in a vacuum... Why are they not us? Why are we not them?-dale
                          Right on Dale!
                          That is precisly the questions that sparked this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by lurker
                            Because US was accepting the vast amount of immigrants from Europe, which were the most active people from their countries. Some of which aleady had an education, and all of which had a will to change their life.

I.e population increased, and all this addition were very active people.
                            A good point. But why did the immigrants want to come here in the first place?

-dale

Comment

A good point. But why did the immigrants want to come here in the first place?

-dale
                              Because US were independent. No old rules. No old rulers.
                              A clean page, with a huge space to explore.

Comment

Working...
                              X