youtube-3.14 Sea battle in Spratly Islands,1988

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• youtube-3.14 Sea battle in Spratly Islands,1988

Sea battle for a reef of the Spratly Islands in 1988. 3 Vienam war ships were distroyed (no.604,605&505). About 200 vienam sailors were killed,9 were captured.

PLAN had 3 warships,no damage. but 2 PLAN Marines injuryed.the 3 warships were no:532,531,556.

The 556 was sold to Bengal(pennant number f18)after she retired. Today, she back to the NAVY review in China.

The pic is Bengal F18,that is pre PLAN 556 vessel.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tomluter; 21 Apr 09,, 15:57.

I guess this video begs the question why would you fire upon men standing on what seems to be a sand bar and use overwheming force on boats that are no more then apparently fishing trawlers painted grey? Beyond overkill and more then likely worthy of criminal charges.

*Funny thing is if we did that to the pirates the general public would be outraged at the USN and would want criminal charges brought. Big difference between the two Navy's.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
      I guess this video begs the question why would you fire upon men standing on what seems to be a sand bar and use overwheming force on boats that are no more then apparently fishing trawlers painted grey? Beyond overkill and more then likely worthy of criminal charges.

*Funny thing is if we did that to the pirates the general public would be outraged at the USN and would want criminal charges brought. Big difference between the two Navy's.
      x2

Thats what I was thinking too.

Comment

There were 2 armed fishing trawlers(680 ton) and 1 landing ship(4100ton) that is Vietnam navy 604,605 and 505, The men in the reef were the duplex marine Corps. At first, both side marines crowd, pushed on the reef, and tried to tear the national flags of other side. Someone too nervous,and shoot agaist PLAN marine, then they shoot each other on the reef. Vienam ships shoot the Chinese soldiers on the reef, then the PLAN vessals fired agaist the Vienam ships.

Comment

PLAN 532 did not join the battle for her mechanical failure.
          After the battle, They very worry about the Soviet Union sent their SU-22 to above the fleet when they are back home. (Vienam was protected by the Soviet Union at that time)

When the 3 PLAN vessels back home, they,even the Fleet Command were gaven disciplinary warning by the PLAN military for their maked an arbitrary decision.

China facing the great military pressures form S.U.at that time, If it lead the SU to attack. Even though China-US relationship get into a "honeymoon" at that time,but Chinese people knows nobody will help.

But they won a victory in the battle,And the S.U.did not help Vienam to make reprisals, They were not executed the punish.

the pic is sino-soviet union vessel military face off.(the Sovremenny class and the Luda Class)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Tomluter; 21 Apr 09,, 17:43.

Comment

Background (of a sorts...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spratly_Islands

Massive natural resources, a strategic position and poorly defined borders. Add the national pride of two nations who have had... issues... in the past, and things then to go boom...

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
              Background (of a sorts...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spratly_Islands

Massive natural resources, a strategic position and poorly defined borders. Add the national pride of two nations who have had... issues... in the past, and things then to go boom...

*Well familiar with the natural resources claims about the islands there but I will point out that it was a very POOR display on BOTH military parties to act in such an UNPROFESSIONAL manner. It does not show good leadership skills within either militaries command structures. Its also a very good way to get alot of men killed because of one idiot.;)

Comment

*Well familiar with the natural resources claims about the islands there but I will point out that it was a very POOR display on BOTH military parties to act in such an UNPROFESSIONAL manner. It does not show good leadership skills within either militaries command structures. Its also a very good way to get alot of men killed because of one idiot.;)
                Well, to what I said add: "mix poorly trained/equiped people, both with political watchdogs..."

Comment

whole sale slaughter isnt something to be proud of.
                  Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

The ultimate Spratly Islands resource: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ar/spratly.htm

Comment

Thats not a real Marine Corps.

Real Marines wouldn't be caught dead wearing baby blue (or wear their covers tilted to the side)
                      Attached Files

Comment

They look more like the US Navy's newest lightweight fatigues (minus the cover) and I agree GG I have never seen a marine (present or former) wearing his hat cocked to the side even when wearing it with street clothes. Nor any other former service member.

Comment

They look more like the US Navy's newest lightweight fatigues (minus the cover) and I agree GG I have never seen a marine (present or former) wearing his hat cocked to the side even when wearing it with street clothes. Nor any other former service member.
                          I got the feeling he did it because it was bumping into the sight...

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                            I got the feeling he did it because it was bumping into the sight...
                            I see what you are saying and quite possible I'm sure. Then I look at the gentlemen in the green who has the very same rifle and both rifles are flat on the deck and his cover is straight.

Comment

I see what you are saying and quite possible I'm sure. Then I look at the gentlemen in the green who has the very same rifle and both rifles are flat on the deck and his cover is straight.
                              A scene from MiB comes to mind: Will Smith is the only one in the "written exam" that has the idea of pulling the table to himself in order to be able to write properly

So, maybe the others had it bumping into it and didn't think about it. Or maybe he is just the squad's moron

(psst: I have seen pics of US snipers with the cover (hat? cap?) rotated all the way to the back... but don't tell!)

Comment

Working...
                              X