Boston mosque project causes Muslim-Jewish tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston mosque project causes Muslim-Jewish tension

Sunday, January 08, 2006 E-Mail this article to a friend Printer Friendly Version

Boston mosque project causes Muslim-Jewish tension

By Khalid Hasan

WASHINGTON: What could be the largest mosque in Northeastern United States is generating a great deal of tension between the Jewish and Muslim communities in Boston.

Work on the $24.5 million, 70,000 square foot project for the 70,000-strong Muslim community in the Boston area has come to a virtual halt because of litigation and increasing tension between the Jewish and Muslim communities. Around 70 percent of work on the mosque has been completed.

Jewish leaders charge that certain former and current officials in the Islamic Society of Boston, which is building the mosque, are linked to terrorist groups and have failed to distance themselves from radical Islam and anti-Jewish statements. This has been vigorously denied by the society, which defends its non-sectarian record.

The Jewish community has taken particular exception to a former trustee of the society, Egyptian cleric Sheikh Youssef al-Qaradawi, who has praised Hamas and Hezbollah, declared terrorist organisations by the US State Department. According to Larry Lowenthal, executive director of the American Jewish Committee’s Boston branch: “There is a great deal of anxiety. The distance that I think has to be established between these current leaders and their colleagues who have made troubling statements … has to be clearly distinct and established.”

The Jewish accusations have been rejected by Arsalan Iftikhar of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), America’s largest Muslim civil rights group. He says: “Unfortunately, I see the Boston case as indicative of a growing trend in anti-Muslim rhetoric that has grown after 9/11. It has especially impacted local Muslim communities in terms of building their mosques. High concentrations of Muslim populations are being given a hard time for just trying to practice their faith.”

Some Boston Muslims have been put off by the controversy and fundraising efforts by mosque trustees have suffered. “There is definitely fear in the fundraising community about giving to Islamic organisations,” Salma Kazmi of the society said. “Everyone is worried about their name appearing on a list and whether they will get visited by the FBI. People want us to publish our donor list but if we do that, we would never get any donations because everyone feels they’ll be subject to all kinds of harassment.”

A full-page advertisement in Jewish Advocate, a Boston newspaper, on Thursday accused the Islamic Society of Boston of using litigation to stifle discussion and failing to answer questions raised by Jewish leaders, who say that July’s bombings in London sharpened their concerns over mosques and terrorism. Another suit brought by a city resident urges the city of Boston to force the society to return the land on which the mosque is being built, charging that the Boston Redevelopment Authority breached constitutional divisions between state and religion by selling the site at a value far below the market rate.
    http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...8-1-2006_pg7_9

The game plan of the AQ is taking fruit.

Religious tensions are surfacing in the USA. Those who have experienced religious tensions in their country can visualise that this is but the beginning of riots. Innocuous events, but charged!

The AQ's purpose will be served if these tensions continue and there is riots!

There was no requirement to sell the land at a lower rate. This has allowed a cause for the Jews and that is reinforced with the alleged terror support rhetoric by the trustee.

The local Moslems too are worried and because of the US being very vigilant and having touch laws, there is good reason to be worried since they can be collared and shut up in the clink!

One wonders why the Moslems have to build massive monuments in the name of religion. Smaller in scale would not have created apprehensions and would have equally served the purpose of Moslems.

Such massive projects will only agitate and raise the fear psychosis of others that they are being swamped!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

CAIR is the last organization that should be commenting on this. They try to pretend they're some sort of mild "Muslim rights" group while supporting terrorists wholeheartedly.

Comment

I agree Ray. 24.5 million and 70,000 sq. ft. -- one wonders where the money is coming from ??? ;) Don't they know "size isn't everything -- it's how you use it that counts?"

Comment

70,000 sq ft? Jeebus!

WTF is it? A mini mecca?

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
          70,000 sq ft? Jeebus!

WTF is it? A mini mecca?
          Then u will also be surprise about brit moslems plans to build even grandier mosque in london esp for moslem atheletes coming for London olympics.

Heres the Thread .

Here the article
          Giant mosque for 40,000 may be built at London Olympics
          Giant mosque for 40,000 may be built at London Olympics

A MASSIVE mosque that will hold 40,000 worshippers is being proposed beside the Olympic complex in London to be opened in time for the 2012 Games.

The project’s backers hope the mosque and its surrounding buildings would hold a total of 70,000 people, only 10,000 fewer than the Olympic stadium.
          Its futuristic design features wind turbines instead of the traditional minarets, while a translucent latticed roof would replace the domes seen on most mosques. The complex is designed to become the “Muslim quarter” for the Games, acting as a hub for Islamic competitors and spectators.

“It will be something never seen before in this country. It is a mosque for the future as part of the British landscape,” said Abdul Khalique, a senior member of Tablighi Jamaat, a worldwide Islamic missionary group that is proposing the mosque as its new UK headquarters.

Tablighi Jamaat has come under scrutiny from western security agencies since 9/11. Two years ago, according to The New York Times, a senior FBI anti-terrorism official claimed it was a recruiting ground for Al-Qaeda. British police investigated a report that Mohammad Sidique Khan, leader of the July 7 London bombers, had attended its present headquarters in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. In August, Bavaria expelled three members of the organisation on the grounds that it promoted Islamic extremism.

Defenders of Tablighi Jamaat say that it is not political and confines itself to humanitarian work. It was founded in India under the British Raj and has many members in Pakistan and Bangladesh.

The east London complex would have by far the largest capacity of any religious building in Britain. The biggest at present is the Baitul Futuh in Morden, Surrey, which holds about 10,000 worshippers. Liverpool’s Anglican cathedral, the largest Christian place of worship, has a capacity of 3,000.

The new building will be called the London Markaz (Arabic for centre) and will be built in place of an existing mosque on a 10-acre site 500 yards from the Olympic development.

The three-storey mosque will be designed to accommodate more than 40,000 worshippers. Its sweeping roof is intended to evoke tented cities.
          The complex would include a garden, school, library and accommodation for visiting worshippers.

Islamic calligraphy would cover the walls and ceilings, the washing areas would have cascading water to mimic a stream, and the complex’s buildings would be adapted to allow extra worshippers during festivals such as Eid, accommodating a further 30,000 visitors.

Ali Mangera, the London and Barcelona-based architect who is designing the mosque, said: “People in this country build mosques with fake domes and plastic minarets to look like the mosques back home. Islam has traditionally been at the forefront of technology and change. The Markaz will reflect this. It will be more than a mosque. The whole idea behind it is to break down barriers.”

Mangera has previously worked with leading British architects including Zaha Hadid, designer of the Cardiff opera house. Mangera and Tablighi Jamaat are in negotiations with Newham council, the Greater London Authority and the Thames Gateway Development Corporation for planning permission.

Sunil Sahadevan, a planning officer at Newham council, said: “We are working towards the mosque application with the organisers and discussions are ongoing. The application will be finalised over the next year.”

It is estimated that the project would cost more than Ł100m and donations are being sought from Britain and abroad.

Additional reporting: Tom Baird
          Last edited by indianguy4u; 08 Jan 06,, 17:11.
          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Talk about bringing the fight to the enemy's front yard...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray

The game plan of the AQ is taking fruit.

Religious tensions are surfacing in the USA. Those who have experienced religious tensions in their country can visualise that this is but the beginning of riots. Innocuous events, but charged!

The AQ's purpose will be served if these tensions continue and there is riots!

There was no requirement to sell the land at a lower rate. This has allowed a cause for the Jews and that is reinforced with the alleged terror support rhetoric by the trustee.

The local Moslems too are worried and because of the US being very vigilant and having touch laws, there is good reason to be worried since they can be collared and shut up in the clink!

One wonders why the Moslems have to build massive monuments in the name of religion. Smaller in scale would not have created apprehensions and would have equally served the purpose of Moslems.

Such massive projects will only agitate and raise the fear psychosis of others that they are being swamped!
              It certainly isn't making naysayers happy. Not after the fuss they made about loudspeakers announcing the call to prayer. Although the second rate noise those speakers make is a real earsore, especially when compared to someone with a decent set of pipes making the call to prayer.

The beginning of Kevin Costner's Robin Hood movie would be a good reference point.

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
                70,000 sq ft? Jeebus!

WTF is it? A mini mecca?
                Oh believe me. Mecca is much, much, much bigger.
                "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

I think Jews, and other inhabitants of Boston, are acting this way for several reasons. For one thing, Jews are not great friends of Muslims. Sorry folks, but that's just the truth.

Many Jews don't like the vocal support that Arab regimes have given to the Palestinian terrorist attacks. In addition, many people on the Arab streets have wishdeath to Ariel Sharon during his enfeeblement. These are only two examples of the anti-Semitism or anti-Israeli sentiment that is popular in the Middle East. Since Israel remains the country that many American Jews look to, they are angered by Muslim antipathy towards their country and people.

Jews are also keen to note that the recent upsurge in anti-Semitism in Europe is largely due to the Muslim populations there. American Jews fear that a large Muslim population in Boston will bring similar hatreds and duplicate the situation in America. America is one of the safest countries for Jews, and they are afraid of losing that haven.

I also want to comment on Ray's very insightful comment. He wrote, "Such massive projects will only agitate and raise the fear psychosis of others that they are being swamped!"

I think this cuts right to the core of the issue. When Muslims build huge complexes in largely non-Muslim cities, it looks like an arrogant and provacative action. It makes the locals feel like Islam is everywhere, spreading to every area. It ignites fear that Boston, a symbol of old American values, is being taken over by a worldwide Islamic tide.

Now, this is probably not the truth. I think that Boston will remain a Christian and/or secular modern city for a long time. However, the psychological effects of building such a massive structure are strong. I think the Muslim architects realize this, and they want to convey the strength and expansionism of Islam. All the same, this is not the best way to ingratiate yourself with the local community.

Non-Muslims look at the astounding growth rate of the Islamic Ummah, and then look out their window and see a huge new Mosque going up. This stirs the fears of being "swamped" by Muslims.

People are always afraid of losing their culture, this is a underestimated fact of foreign affairs. People are also afraid of the unknown and possibly threatening, in this case, Islam.

A similar situation would be if the Christians decided to build a 70,000 sq. ft. cathedral in the middle of Bagdhad. Imagine Notre Dame on the Tigris. This structure would not be popular in Baghdad, and the local Muslims there would view the building as an affront.

Finally, the call to prayer from the Boston Mosque will be very annoying. I think it will not be allowed since it breaks public sound ordinances.

Comment

Good post Bulg.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulgaroctonus
                      I think Jews, and other inhabitants of Boston, are acting this way for several reasons. For one thing, Jews are not great friends of Muslims. Sorry folks, but that's just the truth.

Many Jews don't like the vocal support that Arab regimes have given to the Palestinian terrorist attacks. In addition, many people on the Arab streets have wishdeath to Ariel Sharon during his enfeeblement. These are only two examples of the anti-Semitism or anti-Israeli sentiment that is popular in the Middle East. Since Israel remains the country that many American Jews look to, they are angered by Muslim antipathy towards their country and people.
                      Well I can't say religion would play a factor in anything resembling anti-Semitism or more specifically anti-Israeli.

The minor row my Grandfather had over a few things he looted from Berlin in the nineteen forties that my Grandmother (and him as well no doubt) had with such & such people that wanted his plunder "for the people of Israel", that might have rolled over to their descendants a little bit is another matter.

Though I'm hardly acting similiar to Iran's President over it...and I doubt any current member of my fam could of gotten things as heated as they may have been at the time. Basically two NYC Gentiles and some NYC Jews having at it is what I'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
                        Well I can't say religion would play a factor in anything resembling anti-Semitism or more specifically anti-Israeli.
                        Religion does play a role in anti-Semitism and anti-Israeli sentiment. Journalists in the Middle East have recorded wide amoutns of anti-Semitism. For example, the New York Times journalist Thomas Friedman found that many Arabs believed that the attacks of September 11th 2001 were the result of a Mossad/CIA plot, and that Jews had been warned of the attack. News networks such as Al Jazeera are tremendously biased against Israel and Jews.

The movie Munich is a good example of the amount of anti-Semitism present in the Arab world, especially in Palestine. The Arab countries all flew their flags at at full-mast at the Olympics after the Jewish athletes were killed, while all the other countries flew at half-mast. This was mostly political hatred of Jews and Israel, since Muslim terrorism in 1972 was not yet in the form of Jihad.

Furthermore, many of the Arab states have tried to destroy Israel in the past. Many terrorist organizations have the destruction of Israel as their goal. This is true for both Hamas and Hezbollah. These groups cite Islam as their motivator and justification. This is one link of anti-Semitism to Islam.

The city of Jerusalem provides an instructive example of the religious hatreds in the Middle East. There, strife erupts very frequently between th

Muslims listen to blatantly anti-Semitic rallies in their Mosques. You have seen the other threads here that provide the anti-Christian and anti-Semitic verses of the Koran. I am not very interested in what the Koran actually says, since I don't think that many Muslims in the Middle East actually know what it says.

The fact is, Islam and Judaism are pitched against each other right now. In addition, the Muslim Arab states are pitched against the state of Israel. Iran is the most dangerous example of this hatred. That is why the Israelis have recently argued for swift action against Iran. They know that the Muslim fanatics that run the country may use nuclear weapons against Israel, or sell such weapons to groups like Al-Qaeda.

Originally posted by Lunatock
                        The minor row my Grandfather had over a few things he looted from Berlin in the nineteen forties that my Grandmother (and him as well no doubt) had with such & such people that wanted his plunder "for the people of Israel", that might have rolled over to their descendants a little bit is another matter.

Though I'm hardly acting similiar to Iran's President over it...and I doubt any current member of my fam could of gotten things as heated as they may have been at the time. Basically two NYC Gentiles and some NYC Jews having at it is what I'd imagine.
                        I don't understand your story, it is convoluted.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulgaroctonus
                          Religion does play a role in anti-Semitism and anti-Israeli sentiment. Journalists in the Middle East have recorded wide amoutns of anti-Semitism. For example, the New York Times journalist Thomas Friedman found that many Arabs believed that the attacks of September 11th 2001 were the result of a Mossad/CIA plot, and that Jews had been warned of the attack. News networks such as Al Jazeera are tremendously biased against Israel and Jews.

The movie Munich is a good example of the amount of anti-Semitism present in the Arab world, especially in Palestine. The Arab countries all flew their flags at at full-mast at the Olympics after the Jewish athletes were killed, while all the other countries flew at half-mast. This was mostly political hatred of Jews and Israel, since Muslim terrorism in 1972 was not yet in the form of Jihad.

Furthermore, many of the Arab states have tried to destroy Israel in the past. Many terrorist organizations have the destruction of Israel as their goal. This is true for both Hamas and Hezbollah. These groups cite Islam as their motivator and justification. This is one link of anti-Semitism to Islam.

The city of Jerusalem provides an instructive example of the religious hatreds in the Middle East. There, strife erupts very frequently between th

Muslims listen to blatantly anti-Semitic rallies in their Mosques. You have seen the other threads here that provide the anti-Christian and anti-Semitic verses of the Koran. I am not very interested in what the Koran actually says, since I don't think that many Muslims in the Middle East actually know what it says.

The fact is, Islam and Judaism are pitched against each other right now. In addition, the Muslim Arab states are pitched against the state of Israel. Iran is the most dangerous example of this hatred. That is why the Israelis have recently argued for swift action against Iran. They know that the Muslim fanatics that run the country may use nuclear weapons against Israel, or sell such weapons to groups like Al-Qaeda.
                          That was meant in a person by person basis, namely myself. The hordes you'd see rallying in Palestine do play the religion card. And even use it to justify how they tend to treat non-Palestinians..muslim or not.

I don't understand your story, it is convoluted.
                          Oh that was a long winded telling of how recently I described a row my grandfather had over loot he snagged from Berlin and who it rightfully belonged to, and someone telling me personally that it was the rightfully property of the Israeli's.

Comment

The West is lost. We'll see the demographics after 30 years, Europe 30 years, America 50.
                            I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by srirangan
                              The West is lost. We'll see the demographics after 30 years, Europe 30 years, America 50.
                              I have heard this argument.

So what do we do? As a westerner, am I expected to just roll over?

It is not certain that the West is lost. Historical trends can change. The West still has strength, and can rise again.

Long live the West!

Comment

Working...
                              X