Religion in the way of science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion in the way of science?

This is a question that dates back to before the Roman empire, is religion standing in the way of science, this is just a question so don't judge me on this, I just found this question while web surfing and I want to know what you think.

Personally I think it makes science grow and stop in areas, so i'm voting yes, just because of it's history
    yes
    61.21%
    no
    38.79%
    Last edited by canadian boy; 27 Dec 05,, 07:56.

My religion declares that its holy books themselves are secondary.
    Therefore it does not impede science.

Comment

Science at one point in history was eclipsed by religion; however, that is certainly not the case except maybe in the margins (e.g. stem cell research that is limited in scope in the US due to the ban of the use of fetuses to provide lines for research).
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Don't even get me started.

Einstein I think said.....we need to know what God was thinking....the rest are just details. :)

Comment

I'm a Deist, the two go hand in hand. ;)
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed
            I'm a Deist, the two go hand in hand.
            Yes!

Some of the best scientists have been religious figures.
            And Isaac Newton actually wrote more on Theology than he ever did on Physics.
            "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

I for one believe that as far as eastern cultures go, religion is far less an impediment to science. That many of them have been left behind technologically today is not a consequence of religion but of socio-economic and political reasons. The Indian and Chinese civilisations have been two of the largest exporters of science and intellectual capital for thousands of years before they fell by the wayside in the last 500-600 years. Where they really did miss the boat was with the industrial revolution. It never actually took place in the east till about 40-50 years ago.

Its interesting to contrast that with most of the west particualry wrt to xtianity. Their darkest periods were in the time that religion was at its peak. In the middle ages they mostly remained in the doldrums, till religion retreated and the Renaissance and Industrial revolution took place.
              I am less of an optimist for other wetern religion, Islam. Almost every muslim I have had a chance to interact with just cannot seem to let his 1200 year old holy book go. While they may not exactly be fundamental extremists, but they arent really progressive either. Take away their oil and they will have no skills or knowldege to capitalise on.

Comment

Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein
                Religion is really supposed to work with science. Putting science on its own and saying that we were randomly created out of nothing is where science starts to contradict religion and religion starts to contradict science.

Comment

Relgion can be argued to hold back science - Sun goes around Earth, for example.

Science could be argued to hold back religion - Intelligent design, for example.

Note i am not hoping to start a debate on either of the above examples!
                  at

Comment

Einstein knew what he was talking about. Science is mankind's way of satisfying its thirst for knowledge. Religion guides mankind on what to to with all the knowledge.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead
                      Einstein knew what he was talking about. Science is mankind's way of satisfying its thirst for knowledge. Religion guides mankind on what to to with all the knowledge.
                      No, Philosophy does that. We have no use for mysticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus View Post
                        No, Philosophy does that. We have no use for mysticism.
                        The royal WE!
                        Accept the fact that some people; rightly or wrongly, have a need for mysticism/religion in their perception of life.
                        When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

There were certainly points in time when religion was vital to the advance of science or the survival of knowledge. Astronomy & Islam or Monasteries during the Dark Ages come to mind.

On the balance, though, religion hinders more than helps.
                          Simple Machines in Higher Dimensions

Comment

well... not my religion... It depends on different types of religions where each religion teaches with some different flavour...
                            Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                            -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Does not your question judge you for us?

Canadian boy,

The question is, are religion and science mutually exclusive of each other. It sounds as if you would eliminate one for the other. Are things getting that bad up there in the Red Leaf Villiage? Would you eliminate all religions because You and Europe and the rest of world humanity are having problems with a certain "Religion of Peace"? LOL. Are those who are desirous to impose 'Sharia Law' on your fair country calling for the end of all religion by sword and bomb belt making you nervous so you would help them to that end in the name of science. The timing of such questions are peculiar. Should all the stupid people get rid of the smart people because they do not see eye to eye?

~~~~Ivan~~~><//>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. Science is mans striving to know the things of God. ANON.

Comment

Working...
                              X