Clear All

• UN dysfunctional, troops cowards, Gen Dallaire says in new book

National Post Tuesday » November 4 » 2003

General still battling own internal demons
    UN dysfunctional, troops cowards, he says in new book

Isabel Vincent
    National Post

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Nearly 10 years after returning from a catastrophic tour of duty in Rwanda, Lieutenant-General Roméo Dallaire has come to realize that he has two sets of eyes.

The first set -- he calls them his "outside eyes" -- act like a camera and recorded the horrific acts of the 1994 genocide.

The second set -- the "inside eyes" -- look into his soul and won't let him forget what he saw.

Lt.-Gen. Dallaire saw a great deal in Rwanda he would like to forget, and which has since led to two breakdowns and a battle with alcohol. Unable, he has recounted many of them in his new book, Shake Hands With the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda.

They were horrific scenes: blood-soaked children hacked to death, their bodies thrown like rubbish on roadsides; pregnant women who had been murdered, their fetuses ripped from their stomachs; the dismembered bodies of 10 of his own soldiers.

While in Rwanda, Lt.-Gen. Dallaire never allowed himself to get emotional over what he was seeing.

"We were simply putting off our feelings until later," he recounts in his book, which was released this week and is already a bestseller in Canada. Salter Street Films in Halifax recently bought the rights to his book, and plans to start shooting a feature film next year.

But since leaving Rwanda his "inside eyes" continue to relive the horrors he saw in the small African country, where 800,000 people were slaughtered in a matter of months while he was charged with upholding a fragile peace accord between warring factions.

The failures of that mission, brought about by what he readily admits was his own inexperience coupled with the international community's intransigence and inability to react to the biggest genocide since the Holocaust, replays itself in his head at the slightest provocation.

In an interview yesterday, he said mundane things continue to set him off -- a trip to the produce aisle of a supermarket sends him back to the market in the Rwandan capital of Kigali, where he saw hundreds of dead bodies and desperate Rwandans on the verge of starvation.

"When I go to the produce area, I simply freeze because I am seeing the marketplace in Kigali," said Lt.-Gen. Dallaire, who secured a medical release from the Canadian Armed Forces in the spring of 2000 after being diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, a condition he says afflicts thousands of soldiers who have returned from conflicts in the former Yugoslavia, Rwanda and Afghanistan.

"These things come back and come back and come back and they are digitally clear and in slow motion. They never go away," he said, adding he devotes a great deal of his time to raising awareness of the disorder -- a situation that has sparked some controversy in military circles.

"Your heart goes out to the guy," said Major-General Lewis MacKenzie, now retired, who commanded UN forces in Central America and in Sarajevo during the Bosnian war. "But he has become a kind of poster boy for post-traumatic stress disorder. Reliving the horror is not necessarily going to help soldiers deal with stress."

Indeed, military analysts are divided about how soldiers should deal with the events they have witnessed in the field. One school of thought says reliving the trauma only increases the trauma.

"Bullshit," responded Lt.-Gen Dallaire, who acknowledged yesterday that in the years after he left Rwanda, he battled debilitating depression, alcoholism and tried on more than one occasion to commit suicide. The only thing that helped, he said, was recounting his experiences again and again to anyone who offered a sympathetic ear.

Writing the book was also a form of therapy, although it was not easy, he said. Not only did he have to relive the horror of Rwanda over nearly 600 pages, in the middle of the project, his ghostwriter, journalist Sian Cansfield, committed suicide.

Although the book's publisher, Random House Canada, said Ms. Cansfield's suicide last summer was not linked to her research on the book, Lt.-Gen. Dallaire specifically referred to Ms. Cansfield, who is one of many people to whom he has dedicated his book, when he wrote, "It seemed to me that the UNAMIR [United Nations Assistance Mission for Rwanda] mission was still killing innocent people."

Shake Hands With the Devil is a brutally honest and sometimes controversial recounting of Lt.-Gen. Dallaire's sojourn in Rwanda. He is extremely critical of the dysfunctional nature of the UN, and recounts how he was sent to a country he knew almost nothing about to uphold a shaky peace.

The mission to uphold the Arusha Peace Agreement was a logistical nightmare from the first day, and Lt.-Gen. Dallaire describes pleading with UN officials in New York for everything from extra ground forces to paper and pencils.

He is also scathing about some of the troops in the multilateral force under his command. He describes the racism and lack of discipline of the Belgian soldiers, and the cowardice of the Bangladeshi contingent. According to his account, the Bangladeshi soldiers would only take their orders from Dhaka, and as thousands of people were being slaughtered in Kigali, they refused to put themselves in harm's way. Some 2,000 Rwandans died because of their inaction, the General writes.

In a photograph that came to symbolize the failure of Lt.-Gen. Dallaire's mission, Bangladeshi officers rushed an evacuation aircraft "like a scared herd of cattle" when it landed in Kigali in the early days of the genocide. The photograph -- which appeared on the front page of The Washington Post -- tainted the entire mission "as scared rats abandoning a sinking ship," he writes. "Even in their departure, the Bangladeshi contingent was able to bring my mission even further down in the eyes of those who saw us as a joke in the first place."

Still, he stayed on in Rwanda, even as the UN, and particularly the United States, turned away. At the time, the crisis in the former Yugoslavia occupied the world's attention. The United States had just emerged from its catastrophic mission in Somalia, and pressured the UN's then secretary-general, Boutros Boutros Gali, not to send reinforcements to Rwanda.

"I vowed to stay there to save one Rwandan life," said Lt.-Gen. Dallaire, who could barely feed the soldiers under his command and had to scrounge water and gasoline for generators after the genocide began in April, 1994.

Today, in addition to his work raising awareness of post-traumatic stress disorder, Lt.-Gen. Dallaire works as a special representative of the Canadian government working with former child soldiers around the world. He has travelled to Sierra Leone and Brazil, where he saw children working as soldiers for drug trafficking gangs.

He is also committed to what he calls conflict resolution, and will take up a prestigious post at Harvard University next fall to hammer out a plan that would see such middle powers as Canada lead efforts to change the nature of peacekeeping.

"In the past, the UN has simply stumbled into areas," he said. "Today, we need a whole new lexicon to deal with modern conflicts. We need conflict resolvers -- soldiers who are permitted to act in the ambiguity of complex missions."

He wants to create a cadre of troops who are well-versed in sociology, anthropology and history as well as military tactics, who could be called up to deal with such complicated situations as the one in Rwanda.

"The real crime is not to learn from Rwanda," he said. "It's like raping a person once and coming back and doing it again and again and again."

© Copyright 2003 National Post

Copyright © 2003 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest Global Communications Corp. All rights reserved.
    Optimized for browser versions 4.0 and higher.

LGen Dallaire's plight aside, this was one ineffective command and ultimately the responsibility of the General. The reasons and excuses are many but there is one thing that I must fault the General. He left men, the Belgians, to die alone and seemingly forgotten. There are times when you cannot avoid casualties but you cannot and must not let the men think that they're forgotten.

As much as the Gen may want to spew otherwise, the Belgians were the only combat effective force that he had, even if they were outnumbered. It would have been a far different outcome if the Belgians went into combat.

Comment

Hi Colonel,

Ive read thru some of posts related to the UN earlier (especially with Ray).Could you share some details of the incidents mentioned here, especially related to the Belgians?
      Memento Mori

Comment

Rwandan genocide goes back several centuries as a war between the Hutus and the Tutsis, a racial thing that wasn't helped when the Europeans carved up Africa with no notice to tribal borders.

There was a civil war in the country before the UN intervened with a Peacekeeping force of 5000 in UNAMIR (United Nations Assistance Mission to Rwanda) of which 3-500 were Belgians Para-Commandos.

Then Canadian Major-General Romeo Dallaire, an artillery officer, was assigned to head the mission. The Gen was woefully inadequate to command the various infantry forces who clashed with various force heads as they tried to iron out their cultural and military differences.

The Belgians deployed themselves in sections and platoons wheras LGen Dallaire, being an arty officer, think in terms of mass.

On April 6, 1994, President Habyarimana's plane was shot down by a surface-to-air missile as it approached Kigali airport. Responsibility for the assassination has never been confirmed, but the speed with which the genocide was subsequently launched strongly suggests that the Hutu extremists had decided to rid themselves of their accommodationist president, and implement a "final solution" to the Tutsi "problem" in Rwanda.

LGen Dallaire sent a Belgian section to gurard the Rwanda Prime Minister Agathe Uwilingiyimana. The Belgians were surrounded by a battalion size force and were forced to surrender. Then, one by one, they were hacked to death. The section leader, a LT, knocked one of the Hutus down and took an AK-47. He and three other survivors held out for several hours in a building until he ran out of ammunition before they too were hacked to death.

LGen Dallaire was driven by on his way to see the head of the Hutu militia. He saw dead Belgians and ordered his Rwandan driver to stop. The Rwandan refused, fearing for his life. When he reached the Hutu Colonel's compound, he made a decision not to risk a rescue operation with his vastly numerically inferior force.

This prompted Brussels to withdraw the Para-Commandoes as intended by the Hutus.

While I can understand Gen Dallaire's decision (I don't agree with it) not to risk a fight that he cannot win, I cannot and will not agree with his decision not to let the trapped Belgians know through loud speakers or even a show of force that they're not forgotten. In fact, I deplored that decision.

Comment

Thats just sick, any rescue attempt would have been better then none

Comment

To explain the situation, Gen Dallaire only have a pltn size Rapid Reaction Force. In his opinion, woefully inadequate to take on a bn. It would take at least a day to assemble a company size force.

This being said, Gen Dallaire really didn't know his enemy nor his people. The Belgians were confident that professional Para-Commandoes could have killed a battalion worth of tugs.

As a side note, the Belgians were also ashamed of their decision to withdraw. They were the only force in theatre at the time that could have stopped the litteral butchering of 800,000 men, women, and children and I mean butcher in every sense of the word.

Comment

Too bad the General didn't have the sense to launch some hit and run mounted attacks at the periphery of the enemy mass, drawing off most of the forces on a wild goose chase while the bulk of his commando platoon attempted a lightning snatch and grab once the enemy had been largely drawn off.

I guess artillery officers don't think that way. Unfortunate, to say the least.

Comment

Thanks colonel .... I agree, some attempt should have been made to rescue the Belgians .... I guess having the fact that he didnt even attempt a rescue on your conscience would drive a man to drink ...
                Memento Mori

Comment

Colonel,

Don't blame the Canadian General. He maybe wrong. I don't sit in judgement. The problem with UN troops is that not onoy you do what the UN asks you to do, but also you have to be sensitive to your Govt's policy. I am aware that many a time one awaits one's own govt's OK to carry out an action.

Lets look at the brighter side. If there was no UN, there would have been greater genocide. I am aware that you think that the UN is junk, but lets have a look at your side of the picture. Has the so called Coalition covered themselves with glory? In spite of firing first and then talking [its the other way under the UN and hence a more difficult task] , the Coalition has one casualty minimum a day....and yet it remains the mess that it was. More have died after the dramatic landing on the US aircraft arrier and annoucing that the war is over.

Let me assure you, I hate every thing going on out there with men dying everyday and all excuse being bandied to cover the deaths. First it was Saddam loyalists, then foreign fighters and now Al Qeada.

For God sake, forget who the hell it is. They are killers. If the Coalition has gone and atttacked Iraq, well it is time to get these vermins no matter who they are and get them fast. One can't have boys dying everyday, especially when the war is no longer there as the President of the US has said that there is no war now. Or lets say there is war and let the Coalition go gung ho and blast them to Kingdom come.

US is really cutting a sorry figure. Even Barak in Hard Talk on BBC yesterday was critical of the US. If Israel is criticising the US, the isn't it a wake up call?

My heart bleeds for the US soldiers. They are told that the war is over and yet they are being butchered every day. Imagine 15 down because of a stinger on their helicopter! Say what you want the Al Qeda has stingers and not Russian SA 7. US weapons against US troops! How my blood boils.
                  Last edited by Ray; 06 Nov 03,, 10:34.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Colonel,

I appreciate the bravado of the Belgians. However, they didn't really do too well in the Congo during the independence.

Imagine if things went wrong and Europeans were butchered by the rabble 'natives', how would that look in the western eyes? All said and done, the Africans are a very emotional lot and not what one could say 'predictable' as we consider the term 'predictable' in the common understanding. And the really overwhelmed in numbers and 'wildness' [if I may use the term without any deregatory nuances].

My contentions may be wrong, but then I thought I should give the 'other view'. Though it is getting hackneyed of me, what we thought was a cakewalk in Iraq is now turning out to be s slogging match.......all because of the initial cockiness that the Iraqis were just a bunch of toads, who will wither away. Had the ops been palnned a little more with detail, considering the ethnic and social customs in mind, we would have been spared a lot of unnecessary woes.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                      Colonel,

Don't blame the Canadian General. He maybe wrong. I don't sit in judgement. The problem with UN troops is that not onoy you do what the UN asks you to do, but also you have to be sensitive to your Govt's policy. I am aware that many a time one awaits one's own govt's OK to carry out an action.
                      Sir, I do blame LGen Dallaire for what happenned. They were his people and he failed them. I have to asked what would have happenned had those been Canadian soldiers instead of Belgians or if Gen Dallaire was a Belgian General instead of Canadaian.

LGen Dallaire would have been relieved of command within a New York second and be brought back on charges of Dereliction of Duty.

By the same token, there would not have been an abandonning of Rwanda by the only combat capabale force in that country.

I don't buy for one second that LGen Dallaire thought his command was incapable of preventing the genocide. Before the genocide, he planned an offensive to seize the Hutu's weapons cache by the very same forces that he felt inadequate to stop the genocide.

That offensive was given a no-go by the UN.

I would agree with you that the Europeans might have lost that battle but please consider this, Sir. The exchange casualties in Mogadishu during the Black Hawk Down incident was about 10 to 1. At the very least, the Hutus would have lost their capability to carry out the genocide, at least not to the same scale. We could have saved at least a couple hundred thousand people.

And that is something that I could and would ask my people to lay their lives down for.

As for Rwanda, I feel ashamed, Sir. I feel ashamed of the UN. I feel ashamed of LGen Dallaire. I feel ashamed of the Belgians. I feel ashamed of us.

Comment

Colonel,

Well spoken as a soldier. Indeed, that is what one should feel. But the UN is not only about soldiering. It is politics and international skullduggery as well. The last part is the worst scenario that one faces. It is disgusting.

I am not too well conversant with the case and so I will not comment further.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                          Too bad the General didn't have the sense to launch some hit and run mounted attacks at the periphery of the enemy mass, drawing off most of the forces on a wild goose chase while the bulk of his commando platoon attempted a lightning snatch and grab once the enemy had been largely drawn off.

I guess artillery officers don't think that way. Unfortunate, to say the least.
                          The Belgian Colonel was an infantry officer. He was not consulted, at least not in time.

Originally posted by Gulshan
                          Thanks colonel .... I agree, some attempt should have been made to rescue the Belgians .... I guess having the fact that he didnt even attempt a rescue on your conscience would drive a man to drink ...
                          LGen Dallaire has been forthcoming with his nightmares. He witnessed over several months tens of thousands of women and children litterally being hacked to death.

I've seen some of the documentary footage that are not released to the public and they're as gruesome as they can get. Little children had their throats slit.

Before the Belgians left their posts, the Tutsis were begging Belgian soldiers to shoot them, even try to buy the service. Of course, the Belgians did not obliged.

One day, you see a baby being machetteed, the next, you see the body being eaten by dogs, the next after that, worms and maggots crawling all over the body.

The Belgians are just one of many nightmares for the General. Just one of many.

Comment

Don't UN troops only follow UN orders.
                            In Bosnia I read that they did not take any sides, and were not allowed to open fire, even in self defence sometimes.
                            That is quite messed up if you ask me.
                            Exclusion being when Canadian troops had a firefight with the Croatian army in 1993, or somewhere around that timeframe.

Comment

Yeah, I was there in that one. We won that one but didn't prevent alot of rapes and dead bodies.

All weapons are supposed to have their magazines out, until such time as needed. You are to chamber a round only if there is fire and you are allowed to returned fire only if it's aimed fire.

The unwritten rule amongst all Canadian Sgts is that all fire is aimed fire.

UN Forces are allowed, under the direction of the Force Cmdr to apply lethal force if he deems that any violation would endanger his protectorate which includes the civilians.

The fight you're referring to is the Medac Pocket in which 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group engaged and destroyed the Croat 9th "Wolves" Lukid Brigade. That fight was authorized by UN Sector South French General Jean Cot to enforce a tenious truce to stop the Serbs from using Scuds on the Croats. The Croats had no intentions of abandonning their positions as they had agreed to. 2 PPCLI BG, along with FREBAT, convinced them that this was a very, very bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X