X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State considers sale of cow urine in milk booths

State considers sale of cow urine in milk booths

Saturday November 19 2005 00:00 IST
    BHOPAL: Trust the BJP to be seized with momentous issues like the struggle over its leadership, debate over its ideology - and the effectiveness of cow urine.

Uma Bharti had repeatedly underlined the importance of a “cow-based” economy but the government of her successor Babulal Gaur - no friend of Bharti's - has gone where no BJP Government has gone before: it plans to sell cow's urine (gomutra) with milk in co-operative dairy milk booths across Madhya Pradesh.

The M P State Dairy Federation, with more than 1,500 such booths, has swallowed the idea extending it to cover “medicines and cosmetics” made from the extract of cow urine and cow dung.

This is the brain child of Archana Chitnis, State Minister for Animal Husbandry under which the MP Gauseva Ayog. “Science has proved that urine of the Indian breed of cow has medicinal properties,” Chitnis told this website’s newspaper.

“We want the society at large to benefit from it. Why should people be put off by products based on cow urine?”

Good question except that there has not been one response to a government ad asking gaushalas (cowsheds) and NGOs to “carry the project forward.” But officials aren't deterred. They say the ad will be issued again.

Said Dairy Federation managing director K C Gupta,”We have agreed in principle. We will accept products that are duly certified and hygienic.” A federation official said that vendors would get a commission and will have the option to stop selling cow urine if its presence affects the sale of milk or milk products.

Chitnis, however, has bigger plans. She said that if sale picked up - a big if - the new experiment might even revitalise gaushalas since the product will be sourced from there.

“They want to promote a certain ideology and the experiment is just an extension of it. Why should they select milk booths when they can sell gomutra from other places?” asked general secretary of BSP Narmada Prasad. “They have an agenda and they may even line up people outside the booths to show that it's successful.”

But there are takers. “Everyday, we distribute fresh cow urine to 30 to 40 people who line up outside the temple in the morning. Many more will have access to it if it's sold from milk booths,” said K L Chakravarty, who manages the Gayatri Temple in Bhopal's M P Nagar locality, probably the only place where cow urine and products made from it are sold.

Obviously, he doesn't mind competition.

http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems...ation&Topic=0&

WTF?????

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
      [SIZE=3] But there are takers. “Everyday, we distribute fresh cow urine to 30 to 40 people who line up outside the temple in the morning.
      If anyone should want my place in line - Feel free. No need to even tell me about it. Just go ahead.

"To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
        If anyone should want my place in line - Feel free. No need to even tell me about it. Just go ahead.

Comment

It is blieved by some that cow's urine is stated to have medicinal value as is camel's urine amongst the Moslems (it is in the Hadith where the Prophet advised consumption. The same has been widely debated both in this forum as also in the Israel Forum and so I will give it the go by).

It is fine if the MP Government (a state govt) wants to market it. However, they will find their clientele for cow's or buffalo's milk shrinking.

But then with snazzy packaging as has been learnt from the West, it might even become a roaring export item!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
            It is blieved by some that cow's urine is stated to have medicinal value as is camel's urine amongst the Moslems (it is in the Hadith where the Prophet advised consumption. The same has been widely debated both in this forum as also in the Israel Forum and so I will give it the go by).

It is fine if the MP Government (a state govt) wants to market it. However, they will find their clientele for cow's or buffalo's milk shrinking.

But then with snazzy packaging as has been learnt from the West, it might even become a roaring export item!
            Why, Sir, we should get our dear TopHatter some to go with his Cheetos! After all, the holidays are coming upon us.
            "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
              Why, Sir, we should get our dear TopHatter some to go with his Cheetos! After all, the holidays are coming upon us.
              I think I'm gonna puke
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I'm glad we don't have a sacred animal to drink urine from.

(although I'm sure this is not a common practice in india)

Comment

It is not a practice.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Is it true that a cow's gonads makes a dashed good dish?

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                      Is it true that a cow's gonads makes a dashed good dish?
                      Sauteed with some garlic and artichokes, add a little salt, and some tabasco...

Just like Campbell's....mmm mmm gooood!
                      :)

Comment

FYI the US has granted a patent to a product which contains distilled portions from cow urine that apparently increases the activity of antibiotics and anti-cancer agents.

Milk contains fine elements of nutrition which have the particular quality of developing finer tissue of the brain which comprehends spiritual knowledge, thus bringing peace to body and mind. Cow manure is a highly valuable commodity. It is used to fertilize crops, as a highly efficient fuel, as shelter as on thatched roofing in warm countries, as a disinfectant and as medicine. The antiseptic and medicinal qualities of cow dung are confirmed by modern science. Cow urine is also a useful medicine for the liver, bloodstream and tuberculosis when administered under proper scriptural guidance. Milk contains many natural antiseptic qualities, because cows who wander in the paddocks eat grass and other natural medicinal herbs that grow wild. Their milk, therefore, contains numerous natural remedies.
                        Having said that I must also point out that India is a major leather exporter.
                        Being a Hindu chap who sold a number of cows to the slaughter house I dont think the cow is God.

(But I do think it is as Godly as you,me and everything/everybody else are.The explanation for this is that everything comes out of the same matter that can neither be created nor destroyed - a fact which Hindu philosophers had figured out a couple of thousand years ago.Its called 'Akasa' by a certain school of thought.)

A number of American companies have been filing for patents which are in many ways related to Indian traditional medicines and such.Neem is a good example I think.Last heard the government of India had contested the patents in a international court(no link, speaking from my memory).
                        Last edited by Samudra; 19 Nov 05,, 06:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                          Sir, I am sure that you are aware that camel's urine causes Kidney stones as many a mullah can attest to this fact. How about you neo? ;)
                          "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
                            I'm glad we don't have a sacred animal to drink urine from.

(although I'm sure this is not a common practice in india)
                            The consumption of cow's urine is not to be undertaken in copious quantities like beer. It is believed to contain medicinal values hence it is combined in minor quanities with ayurvedic preparations. No one will draw out a beer mug for a mug of warm cow's urine!!
                            "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

The article is sensationalist is nature.

The practice of using the cow's urine is NOT at all common in India.

On the other hand, Babulal Gaur is probably the most unbearable Chief Minister that the country has at the moment. He has said many foolish things in the past.

I pity the blokes living in MP.

Comment

Working...
                              X