• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Kalam threatens to resign

Friday, November 11, 2005

President Kalam threatens to resign

* Differences with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will ‘become public soon’

By Iftikhar Gilani

NEW DELHI: Differences between Indian President APJ Abdul Kalam and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government may become “public very soon,” sources told Daily Times.

Sources said Kalam was threatening to resign and was just waiting for the Supreme Court’s Constitution Bench judgment on the “unconstitutional” dissolution of the Bihar Assembly. Bihar is not the only issue creating differences, they said. The Congress Party does not trust Kalam and sees him as being closer to the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), they added.

According to sources, the Prime Minister’s Office has stopped the communication of minutes from the Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA) and the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) for the past three months. Whenever the Rashtrapati Bhawan (Presidency) asks for the minutes, the Cabinet Secretariat has wriggled out, saying the draft minutes had been sent to the PMO for clearance.

Earlier, Kalam aired his displeasure to Singh after the SC struck down the dissolution to announce a complete judgment later, said sources. They said Kalam complained he was being taken for granted and was rushed to sign the proclamation dissolving the Bihar Assembly. He reportedly told the prime minister that the latter had betrayed his trust by making the wrong recommendation and he wanted to step down, they added.

Singh, who was in Chandigarh that day, persuaded him not to precipitate a crisis and assured him the government would challenge the ruling. However, his condemnation of Governor Buta Singh on Tuesday for “the wrong recommendation” to dissolve the assembly was read in the Rashtrapati Bhawan as him going back on his promise to the president for a review of the judgment.

Meanwhile, Congress leaders, led by Congress General Secretary Ambika Soni, are claiming that Kalam was an appointee of the previous NDA regime and the party would be happy if he resigns. The party would ensure that a new president was appointed within two months of Kalam’s resignation instead of allowing a longer run to Vice-President Bhairon Singh Shekhawat, to remain the interim President, Congress sources said.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-11-2005_pg7_7
    This is from the Pakistani media.

Any comments?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

That comes as a total surprise to me!
    Whats the general opinion in India Sir?
    Should he step down?

Comment

All I know is that he is a very fair individual and totally apolitical. He has still not ever, to the best of my belief, given a politically parochial statement.

There has been many skullduggery committed by the Union government and Kalam has not taken it kindly that he is being used to sign proclamations that are laced with political fraud.

True he has became a President during the NDA regime, but I don't think that he is indebted to any political party for his becoming a President.

It is also true that he has not played ball as per the Congress Party dictates. In fact, that Amibika Soni is a real vixen and I would say a female dog.

One has to wait and see what is the reaction domestically.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Thanks for the explaination.

Comment

i didnt see any of this news in indian daily's...i wonder how can indian dailys miss such a news ..

Comment

Its a source deep within the Indian govt. So ofcourse the paksitani media has exclusive access to it.

By Iftikhar Gilani

NEW DELHI: Differences between Indian President APJ Abdul Kalam and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government may become “public very soon,” sources told Daily Times.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaman
              Its a source deep within the Indian govt. So ofcourse the paksitani media has exclusive access to it.
              Hala Madrid!!

Comment

It is true that it has not been reported in the Indian news media.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

i doubt the credibility of the author..Such a statement from president is a big thing. it will shake the very trust that exists between the current President and PM. and only a single pakistgani media reporting it makes me feel it to be totally an overexaggeration. or created out of the blue.

Comment

The issue was reported in Indian media some time back.
                    I read it in some printed media.

If the Cabinet is not sending the minutes to President then the issue is a serious one indeed.It comes at a time when the Govt is making drastic changes in its foreign and domestic policies.

I dont think it is a good idea for the Rashtrapathi to resign.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
                      The issue was reported in Indian media some time back.
                      I read it in some printed media.

If the Cabinet is not sending the minutes to President then the issue is a serious one indeed.It comes at a time when the Govt is making drastic changes in its foreign and domestic policies.

I dont think it is a good idea for the Rashtrapathi to resign.
                      I am sure pakistnis in pakistan wonder how a HINDU majority country like INDIA can have a sikh priminister and a muslim(hope every muslim in this world is as good as him) preseident. they just try to make it always look like some fake setup when ever possible, i am sure this is one of their such attempts

Comment

Originally posted by raj
                        I am sure pakistnis in pakistan wonder how a HINDU majority country like INDIA can have a sikh priminister and a muslim(hope every muslim in this world is as good as him) preseident. they just try to make it always look like some fake setup when ever possible, i am sure this is one of their such attempts
                        BS!
                        Guess those printed articles Samudra read somewhere came straight from ISI printers and were dropped all over India

Comment

This is most unfortunate. Most people will be distraught if Kalam resigns.

President Kalam remains an extremely admired figure in the entire country. If he is forced to resign because of the centre's sordid politics, then that will certainly spell disaster for the Congress and the government.

What business does the Cabinet Secretary have to deny Raisana Hill the right to look at the cabinet minute book?

Ambika Soni sucks up so much to Sonia Gandhi that one wonders where the distinction between voluntary slavery and service is. Sonia Gandhi is an absolutely repugnant woman and No 10 Janpath is filled with people that can only be described as a humungous pile of rat droppings.

Comment

Originally posted by Karthik
                            This is most unfortunate. Most people will be distraught if Kalam resigns.

President Kalam remains an extremely admired figure in the entire country. If he is forced to resign because of the centre's sordid politics, then that will certainly spell disaster for the Congress and the government.

What business does the Cabinet Secretary have to deny Raisana Hill the right to look at the cabinet minute book?

Ambika Soni sucks up so much to Sonia Gandhi that one wonders where the distinction between voluntary slavery and service is. Sonia Gandhi is an absolutely repugnant woman and No 10 Janpath is filled with people that can only be described as a humungous pile of rat droppings.
                            The govt will have a lot of explanation to make to the general public if kalam resigns. HEs the national hero. he has everyindians support..
                            Furthermore i dont think our PM doesnt understand kalam's contributions and position in the hearts of the people..

Comment

Still don't understand why Indian media is silent about the matter of such magnitude.
                              What cionsequences can be expected for Singh if Kalam resigns?

Comment

Working...
                              X