Favorite Ancient Philosophic School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Ancient Philosophic School

I appreciate them all, except for the Platonic school of thought. My favorite is Aristotelian, however I enjoy the views of the Stoics, how they dealed with the thought of death, fear, and pain. I find the Aristotelian school (and Aristotle in particular) to be the dedicated to reason.

What's your favorite and why?

If I may request, please write about the books you read here.

Comment

Lao Tzu

According to legend Lao Tzu was keeper of the archives at the imperial court. When he was eighty years old he set out for the western border of China, toward what is now Tibet, saddened and disillusioned that men were unwilling to follow the path to natural goodness. At the border (Hank Pass), a guard, Yin Xi (Yin Hsi), asked Lao Tsu to record his teachings before he left. He then composed in 5,000 characters the Tao Te Ching (The Way and Its Power).
      A brief overview
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Indian Vedic Philosophy.
        Followed very closely by Socrates through Plato.
        I am intrigued by Epicurus now.
        "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
          I would like to keep it to western philosophy. None of this post-modern love of inferior eastern philosophy

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
            I would like to keep it to western philosophy. None of this post-modern love of inferior eastern philosophy
            Drivel.
            "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
              Drivel.
              I don't believe that is an actual response, in fact, I believe it is meant to start conflict. If you like to demonstrate to the contrary, go right ahead, in another thread. This thread however is dedicated to western philosophic schools.

Taoism, Buddhism (especially in the Zen form), et al are all Religions -- primitive form of philosophy.

See: Four Fold Negation and the required Faith in the Buddha.
              Last edited by Praxus; 28 Oct 05,, 23:20.

Comment

Well yes it's always good to stick only to things which you actually know about.

Leibniz

Comment

"Taoism, Buddhism (especially in the Zen form), et al are all Religions -- primitive form of philosophy."

Well done Ubermanch, soon the extreme right in Europe will rise again and more clowns like you trying to recreate European grandeur will agree with your intellectually aspiring views. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Sameer
                    "Taoism, Buddhism (especially in the Zen form), et al are all Religions -- primitive form of philosophy."

Well done Ubermanch, soon the extreme right in Europe will rise again and more clowns like you trying to recreate European grandeur will agree with your intellectually aspiring views. :)
                    Ehem, that's Ubermensch from Nietzsche's thoughts. Sameer, how do you equate Praxus' thread limitations to some kind of Nietzschean, European idea?

If you want to debate Nietzsche, I'm your man.

I think Praxus' decision is very prudent, the thread needs to have definition. In many respects, the Eastern religions do not fit the criteria for a philosophy. They are often unsystematic, unscientific, and mystical.

There is the 'Philosophy' thread in the Science and Technology Forum, you can take your ideas there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulgaroctonus
                      I think Praxus' decision is very prudent, the thread needs to have definition. In many respects, the Eastern religions do not fit the criteria for a philosophy. They are often unsystematic, unscientific, and mystical.

There is the 'Philosophy' thread in the Science and Technology Forum, you can take your ideas there.

Incredible. Neither of you actually understands that Taoism and Budhism are not religions but philosophys, remarkable really considering the time that you have spent obviously NOT reading THL's posts on this very subject in the above mentioned philosophy thread.

Because they seem "unsystematic, unscientific, and mystical", in other words dealing with the human condition and interaction with the world as opposed to the a priori twitterings of your heroes, they are to be dismissed.

If as now seems obvious you wish to have a mutual masturbation society then by all means do so, just don't call it a "Favorite Ancient Philosophic School". Happy 'back-slapping'

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Bulgaroctonus
                        Sameer was right. You have never read the upanishads, brahmanas or aranyakas have you? Don't make ludicrous claims about things you don't know.

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't believe that is an actual response, in fact, I believe it is meant to start conflict. If you like to demonstrate to the contrary, go right ahead, in another thread. This thread however is dedicated to western philosophic schools.
                          Not really. I am just dismissive of your statement. You made the allegation and as I recall the guideline set was "one who makes the allegation shall prove it". Then you should have started the thread as "Favourite western philosophy". Don't make unsubstantiated statements.

Taoism, Buddhism (especially in the Zen form), et al are all Religions -- primitive form of philosophy.
                          See: Four Fold Negation and the required Faith in the Buddha.
                          I was talking about Indian vedic philosophy. So, I don't care about any 'fourfold negations".

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Sameer

I'm not a Nietzschian, try again. All philosophy is not created equal, this is a fact of nature.
                            Last edited by Praxus; 29 Oct 05,, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                              I was talking about Indian vedic philosophy. So, I don't care about any 'fourfold negations".
                              Look what I was responding too, it makes perfect sense that I talked about that. As for Vedic philosophy, they believe in reincarnation, which is straight up mystical non-sense.
                              Last edited by Praxus; 29 Oct 05,, 16:37.

Comment

Working...
                              X