X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Support for Clark ebbing

Poll: Support for Clark ebbing

Democrats warming to liberal as candidate, survey shows
    Tuesday, October 28, 2003 Posted: 8:42 AM EST (1342 GMT)

(CNN) -- The small boom of support for retired Gen. Wesley Clark, which pushed him to the front of national polls in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, appears to be ebbing, according to a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll.

The poll released Monday also shows former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean with a slim lead over Clark for the 2004 election, while Missouri Rep. Dick Gephardt is benefiting from an uptick in popularity.

It also showed that the Democratic mood may be swinging to the left, with 39 percent of registered Democrats now saying they would prefer a liberal nominee. Back in August, just 27 percent wanted a liberal standard-bearer to face President Bush next November.

Support for a moderate nominee rather than a liberal among Democrats is down to 53 percent, compared to more than two-thirds in August.

Among registered Democrats queried about their 2004 choices, 15 percent chose Clark, down from 21 percent who expressed support for him in early October, when he led the field less than a month after joining the race.

In the latest poll, Dean was in first place, with 16 percent support, just a whisker ahead of Clark and within the poll's margin of error.

As Clark's support has eroded, Gephardt appears to have been the primary beneficiary, rising to 12 percent in the latest national poll, compared to 8 percent earlier in the month. The former House Democratic leader is also running neck-and-neck with Dean in polls in Iowa, which holds the first contest of the nominating season in January.

Following Dean and Clark in the latest CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll were Gephardt and Sen. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, both at 12 percent, and Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts at 10 percent, down from 13 percent earlier in the month. The remaining candidates in the nine-person field were in single digits.

The margin of error for the poll questions about the Democratic race was plus or minus 5 percentage points.

The CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll also shows President Bush's job approval rating at 53 percent, compared to 42 percent who disapproved. In a hypothetical match-up with an unnamed Democrat, Bush is the choice of 46 percent, while the president's rival was picked by 43 percent.

The margin of error for the poll questions about Bush was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...ats/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Oh yeah, Gephardt , he's electable. :roll

I'd vote my 18 year old cat in before him.

They may as well throw Ted Kennedy up there.. and why not the French Prime Minister too? We Americans would love a chance not to vote for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackclaw
      Oh yeah, Gephardt , he's electable. :roll

I'd vote my 18 year old cat in before him.

They may as well throw Ted Kennedy up there.. and why not the French Prime Minister too? We Americans would love a chance not to vote for him.
      hah, Ted Kennedy.. :flamemad

Comment

It's not really that surpising that Clark went down. He was a great concept. "A man that could beat Bush on national surcerity." Then they relized that he was a Republicain that figured he didn't want to wait until '08.

Comment

If Dean wins the election we need to seriously entertain the idea of a revolt....

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
            If Dean wins the election we need to seriously entertain the idea of a revolt....
            Another Jimmy Carter? Let the Iranians walk all over us then become Fidel Castro's best friend?
            I hope not, and I doubt it. But if the US public does lose their mind, just remember who came after Carter.

Comment

Screw that. At least Carter was a true 'democrat', not one of these socailists that has perverted the party beyond all recognition of it's namesake.

Dean would DESTROY this nation's constitution AND economy with so many socailist pet projects.

The man terrifies me, as he should all Americans that wish to live in a Republic as envisaged and laid forth by the Founding Fathers.

Comment

For all of his faults, Jimmy Carter was a decent man who had good intentions at heart. This current pack of Democrats are a bunch of snakes.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I wish the democrats would field a solid candidate. It's always better if both choices would make good leaders, then the US doesn't lose either way.

I also wish I had a million dollars, and an F-15, and a Lamborghini, and...

Comment

Working...
                  X