X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryant appears in court on assault charge

Bryant appears in court on assault charge

Preliminary hearing set for October 9
    Wednesday, August 6, 2003 Posted: 10:34 PM EDT (0234 GMT)

EAGLE, Colorado (CNN) -- Flanked by his attorneys, NBA superstar Kobe Bryant faced a Colorado judge Wednesday at a hearing on a charge of sexually assaulting a teenage hotel employee.

Eagle County Judge Frederick Gannett scheduled a preliminary hearing for October 9, at which time the charge will be formally read and prosecutors must convince Gannett that there is probable cause that Bryant sexually assaulted his accuser.

The 24-year-old Los Angeles Laker star stood quietly and showed no emotion as his attorneys waived his right to be formally advised of the felony assault charge.

Bryant's attorneys also waived their client's right to a preliminary hearing being held within 30 days. When Gannett asked Bryant whether he objected to the decision, the NBA player said, "No, sir" -- his only words in court during the seven-minute hearing.

Gannett also admonished prosecutors and lawyers for the 24-year-old Los Angeles Lakers star to adhere to a gag order which bars them from discussing the case with the media

Bryant and his attorneys were the first to leave the Eagle County Courthouse after the brief hearing. They were greeted by wild cheers from fans, some who carried balloons in purple and yellow, the colors of Bryant's team, the Los Angeles Lakers, and painted the words "Not Guilty" on their cars.

Bryant arrived at the courthouse Wednesday in a sport utility vehicle with his attorneys, but without his wife.

Bryant is charged with one count of sexual assault after a 19-year-old woman told police that he assaulted her June 30 at a mountain lodge where she worked and where Bryant was staying.

Bryant, who has a 7-month-old daughter, has acknowledged having sex with the woman, but insists it was consensual.

"I'm innocent. I didn't force her to do anything against her will," Bryant said in an emotional news conference with his wife Vanessa, at his side on July 18, the day the charge was filed.

If convicted and sentenced to prison, Bryant faces four years to life, but if sentenced to a term of probation, he would receive 20 years to life. He could also face a fine of up to $750,000.

Gannett granted a special investigator to determine who leaked information about the case to the news media. Bryant's attorneys had requested the investigator after what they said were improper statements by prosecutors and the sheriff.

"I am concerned with some of the reports that I have seen in the press," Gannett said. "They appear to me to address issues that are not generally available to the public."

A sheriff from a neighboring county will now look into the allegations and report his findings to the judge.

Gannett warned parties in the case to "be careful" about what they say in public, reminding them of his previous warning not to make statements out of court that could prejudice proceedings in the case.

"I'm focusing my attention on the attorneys of record, and any persons acting under their scope or authority -- and for clarification, that does include any law enforcement personnel investigating the case," Gannett said.

Wednesday's hearing was held in a county courtroom that seats 68 spectators. Twenty-two seats were reserved for journalists. Outside the court, a media tent was set up for the hundreds who have descended on this town of about 3,000 people, near the posh Vail ski resort.

Another 30 media satellite trucks from around the country were parked near the courthouse.

Bryant's legal team had tried to get the judge to ban cameras from the courtroom, but that request was denied. (Full story)

Bryant and his wife received sustained cheers Saturday when they showed up for the videotaping of the 2003 Teen Choice Awards, which was to be broadcast later Wednesday.

CNN correspondent Gary Tuchman contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/08/06/bryant.hearing/index.html[/img]
    Yes
    33.33%
    No
    66.67%
    Athenian Empire
    0.00%
    Empire of Alexander the Great
    0.00%
    Roman Empire
    0.00%
    Byzantine Empire
    0.00%
    Holy Roman Empire
    0.00%
    British Empire
    0.00%
    French Empire
    0.00%
    Russian Empire
    0.00%
    Spanish Empire
    0.00%
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    0.00%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I don't think Kobe really raped the teen. This will most probably be one of the most controversial trials that ever took place involving sportstars.

Comment

then ther's legendary OJ Simps!!
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

I just find it distrubing people are saying because she went in the room willingly she wanted to have sex with him.

I mean, when someone breaks into a person's house, people don't yell, "Well, why weren't you there to protect your home?!!"

Or when someone gets mugged, people don't yell, "Well, why weren't you carrying a gun?!"(well, i'm sure some people do. *cough* horrido *cough*) :D

Comment

It wasn't rape till he jammed Tab A into Slot C.

The girl apparently didn't want to go anal. He did.

How sick are basketball groupies that travel 100's of miles for a rape case?

What a country...

Comment

So that's what happened.... pffft.

Comment

Did he seriously do her in the ass?

Comment

That's what i heard on the radio. The girl was honky dorey with banging him, until he stabbed her in the kiester.

By the law...that's rape.

Comment

We have DNA proof, just like we did with OJ (I think), hopefully Eagle County sheriff's deputies can arrest him without incident (he is a basketball player, people will aid him) and before he flees somewhere.

Comment

Yeah, i guess.

He's out on bail isn't he?

Comment

yes, but i mean him fleeing to like Mexico or The Bahamas, though both have extradition treaties with us.

Comment

Any updates on the status of the trial?

Comment

Anyone else have a say?

Comment

How sick is it that this girl and her family have gotten death threats from Lakers fans?

They're worse than Kobe(if he did it).

Someone needs to take a big sawsall and just cut Kalifornia along the border so that it drifts away into the Pacific ocean.

What a bunch of screwed up people out there.

Comment

Working...
                            X