Why buy ancient submarines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why buy ancient submarines?

Just kinda curious why the Singapore Navy would buy the Kockums (sp?) submarine from Sweden. Heard those things are like 40 years old? I mean, yes S'pore is new to sub warfare & probably just looking for something to "try out" at this stage. But those 4 subs together with the training ain't exactly cheap. And if there's a real combat situation, how effective are those antiques? Wouldn't it have been better to buy newer subs instead?

They are pretty cheap. And they don't have the ability to operate nuclear powered subs.

Comment

IMO they must have an awful lot of cash to play with. Why spend so much on something so outdated by every other navy on the globe? They would never survive modern warfare with any other subs due to their age and the thought of how loud the old deisel subs were compared to the new age attack subs or survive even a P3 attack from above never mind a fast surface sub hunter such as a destroyer. I would speculate that they want them for training purposes only to "get their feet wet" anything else would be total suicide. Unless ofcoarse they plan to use them to bully some country that dont have any at all or just patrol their own water ways for piracy maybe.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I heard that they sound like a train going underwater with all orfices open.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
          IMO they must have an awful lot of cash to play with. Why spend so much on something so outdated by every other navy on the globe? They would never survive modern warfare with any other subs due to their age and the thought of how loud the old deisel subs were compared to the new age attack subs or survive even a P3 attack from above never mind a fast surface sub hunter such as a destroyer. I would speculate that they want them for training purposes only to "get their feet wet" anything else would be total suicide. Unless ofcoarse they plan to use them to bully some country that dont have any at all or just patrol their own water ways for piracy maybe.
          Gotta learn to walk before you can run I suppose
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

No, not nuclear subs but something newer at least. Well they did mention that they were exploring sub warfare so yes, I guess getting feet wet sums it up. I just find it wierd that they spend so much on 4 grandmother subs. I mean they can also get their feet wet on newer subs right? And the newer subs can also be used for defence.

Comment

As I recall Singapore got these four older submarines for the price of one brand new one. And Sweden had updated these submarines considerably. I am under the impression that Singapore is interested in purchasing newer older Swedish submarines, possibly a few with AIP.... The newer ones will replace the older ones quickly. I think they are learning to walk before the run.....

Comment

Working...
              X