Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butter cookies stormed ashore at Normandy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butter cookies stormed ashore at Normandy.

Sure, some were soggy, but they were the Greatest Baked Goods Generation.

Bless those bakedgoods.

Comment

Well my uncle stormed Normandy beach with his Marines so if butter cookies were there im sure they were eating them...lol :)
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I thought marines offer of help at Normandy was turned down.
        "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
          I thought marines offer of help at Normandy was turned down.
          You could be rite Spartan I would have to ask him next time I see him. I know of several beach head operations that used marines for the landings including the Navy used them as sharpshhoters that sat high on the ships shooting at the floating mines in their way in getting to the beaches among other things I will get back to you on this :)

Comment

My GG Grandfather was seconded to the BA (he was in the Indian Army). His men in North Africa had been given a goat as a gift which they adopted as a masot. They refused to go anywhere without it, even went to Gold Beach with them. Must have caused a few laughs.

The "Greatest" Goat.
            "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

The most well known moment in my Grandfather's tour of N. Africa, Italy, and from france to Germany..was starting off an ambush on three nazi's at night, by snapping a pic of them peeing off a bridge with a forties era camera & a flashbulb.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
                The most well known moment in my Grandfather's tour of N. Africa, Italy, and from france to Germany..was starting off an ambush on three nazi's at night, by snapping a pic of them peeing off a bridge with a forties era camera & a flashbulb.

Is that pic still around . I really could use some laughs. All it seems my relatives brought back are flags, busts (Adolphs) and lots of trophy weapons. I must be the only person to have an MG 42 which was used at Normandy.

Comment

Wow. Does it still work?

I remember a certain American general who stated that American soldiery was "two looting, one shooting"... ;)
                  "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                    Is that pic still around . I really could use some laughs. All it seems my relatives brought back are flags, busts (Adolphs) and lots of trophy weapons. I must be the only person to have an MG 42 which was used at Normandy.
                    Last I saw my grandmother had that pic, along with a few others. As far as looting and shooting, my Grandfather also liberated a Coo-koo clock, and as gifts for his wife a fur coat and some rings w/ precious stones set in them. He was able to to get the clock back to the states after the war but had to deep six the fur coat and the rings, rather than willing let them be confiscated. Much to my grandmother's anger up until at least the early 1980's

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
                      Wow. Does it still work?

I remember a certain American general who stated that American soldiery was "two looting, one shooting"... ;)

My GG Father (who served in WWI and II) collected items from both wars. He was Pakistani (indian at the time, pre-partition) not American, but it seems all soldiers are similar. The MG-42 still works but getting ammo and spares is really difficult, so it is very raerly fired. It was last fired two years ago.

As for 'trophies', I accompanied my Great Uncle to a 50th anniversary of VJ day celebration dinner at his old regiments barracks. THe vets had , Sudanese wives, Egyptian wives, Italian Wives, as well as at least one German wife. God, were they making war or.............

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                        Sure, some were soggy, but they were the Greatest Baked Goods Generation.
                        And no matter how hard I looked, I saw that Joe Kacka didn't have any butter cookies saved in his WW2 scrapbook when he brought it down to a WW2 commemeration. :)

Comment

Amazing some of the pleasantries soldiers seem to remember when the times were very brutal, dark and very in your face.. violent and deadly. To remember such small things that brought about a smile to yours and others faces during such large and costly conflicts truelly shows just how big of men they were. Is it any wonder why they are called the Greatest Generation ever.
                          Last edited by Dreadnought; 25 Oct 05,, 18:07.

Comment

Is it any wonder why they are called the Greatest Generation ever.
                            As I mentioned once before Dreadnought, these gentlemen and ladies were born during or immedietly after WWI. Lived through the Spanish influenza, the Great Depression, the rise of Facisim and Communism, the WWII, the beginnings of the cold war and the atomic age......

Whew!
                            They had to be the greatest generation. Just to survive all that.

Comment

Also, never forget the shortage of butter cookies during the Depression and WWII.

How did they even SURVIVE?

Comment

Working...
                              X