Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring Back OLD SCHOOL FIGHTING

Alright.

Stinger inspired me to create this thread.

Are tanks, helicopters, AFV, IFV, etc neccasary?

Wouldnt creating an army based around soldiers be much more easier than one on heavy armoured vehicles?

Then one with helicopters and tanks comes a long and destroys you.

Yes it is all nessecary.

Comment

Think outside the box for a second

what about ANTI TANK GUNS

ANTI AIRCRAFT GUNS?

Comment

I agree with Praxus, in that once you've opened the Pandoras for a weapons system you can't easily get it back in. Me I'd prefer to run at my opponent wearinf a Kilt and waving a 4 foot sword around disembowling and decapitating my enemies, while sliping on their entrails.... but it seems the good old days are gone for good.
        Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

ANTI AIRCRAFT GUNS?
          How are you gonna get these Anti-Aircraft Guns around or these anti-tank guns you speak of if you have no vehicles to do so?

Oh and imagine trying to move 200,000 troops through 400 miles of desert, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PiggyWiggy

ANTI AIRCRAFT GUNS?
            Anti-aircraft guns are not that accurate. With aircraft and helicopters, the enemy has an ability to destroy you from a great height and considerable distance.

During the first Gulf War, there were trenches filled with Iraqi troops along the border. Tanks outfitted with those big shovels like they have on snow plows buried them alive and didn't even stop.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

The best anti-tank gun is another tank. Pure and simple.
              It would be nice to wind back the clock on military technology but it's simply impractical. The world simply moves to quickly now.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

damn the chinese and their gun powder.

Comment

Originally posted by PiggyWiggy

ANTI AIRCRAFT GUNS?
                  Anti-tank guns were once considered an option during World War II, but it was found in practice that once they revealed themselves by firing, their inability to move on their own meant they were easy to destroy. Even a close hit was sufficient as the crew has no protection from heavy fire. In open field combat, with modern battlefield optics, they would be spotted early and become easy targets for aircraft, artillery, or tanks.

In urban combat, anti-tank guns offer all the difficulties of manuvering a bulky weapon system around without the benefit of armor. The best way for infantry to deal with armor is to hide, then hit them with a guided anti-tank missile, then run if necessary.

Comment

think big. in a european terrain at guns would be hell. just use kind of cammo and nobody will see it. with the tanks daysight you have even probs to find tanks which are in a good position, that works with the thermal sight only. at guns are much smaller and less hot. so kinda like difficult. mobility is the biggest problem, that's why atgm's are used.

regards
                    axl

www.kampfpanzer.de

Comment

Then we carpet bomb or napalm the whole area and the problem is solved. Then we move in with Helicopters and Armour with support of Predator Assets searching for IR.

Your plan has now just faile axl, now go back to the hole you crawled out of and die.

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                        Then we carpet bomb or napalm the whole area and the problem is solved. Then we move in with Helicopters and Armour with support of Predator Assets searching for IR.

Your plan has now just faile axl, now go back to the hole you crawled out of and die.
                        No, the problem is not solved. Praxus, you've been here long enough to learn a few things. Use your memory and figure this out.

Questions:

What's the guns' TOT?
                        What's the period for counter-battery ops?
                        What's the TOT of a counter-battery op?
                        What's the bug out time of a battery?
                        What's the temperature of a target area after a bombardment?
                        Can any IR see anything in a burning forest?

Now, come up with a more detailed op that would work.

Comment

What's the guns' TOT?
                          What's the period for counter-battery ops?
                          What's the TOT of a counter-battery op?
                          What's the bug out time of a battery?
                          He hasn't mentioned anything about artillery, I was assuming that the military force he is speaking off didn't have them.

He is talking purely about infantry with anti-tank guns and anti-aircraft guns.

What's the temperature of a target area after a bombardment?
                          Can any IR see anything in a burning forest?
                          I suppose you would have trouble with that, but you have other ways of identifying targets like SAR and of course visually.

I wasn't trying to make a viable plan that would win the battle, I am just trying to prove that his idea is unfeasable. It is a completly theoretical scenerio.

Comment

He hasn't mentioned anything about artillery, I was assuming that the military force he is speaking off didn't have them.

He is talking purely about infantry with anti-tank guns and anti-aircraft guns.
                            Depending on the army, AT guns are arty assets.

I suppose you would have trouble with that, but you have other ways of identifying targets like SAR and of course visually.

I wasn't trying to make a viable plan that would win the battle, I am just trying to prove that his idea is unfeasable. It is a completly theoretical scenerio.
                            However, since your counter is also not feasible, this nullify your response.

First of all, Axl stated this from a prepared defence, meaning that you don't know the AT guns are there until they fired. This is now danger close situation meaning that both your boys on the ground and the boys in the air got to take the time to know EXACTLY where everybody is. This ain't fast.

In the meantime, if the BW, from which Axl is suspected to be from, stays true to NATO form and there's no reason to assume that they won't, they won't be staying still. They will either move forward to take your ground or runaway to another prepared position.

Either way, you're not going to napalm nor carpet bomb those front units attacking you, they're way too close. You need alot more precision than what you suggested.

Comment

Replace the term "AT gun" with "ATGM", and it should be pretty obvious what their role is.

It's just that missiles are not only longer ranged and more portable....but they are also GUIDED.

Today's ATG is the ATGM.

Comment

Working...
                              X