Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Navy to Commision USS Momsen Aug. 9th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Navy to Commision USS Momsen Aug. 9th.

NAVY CHRISTENS GUIDED-MISSILE DESTROYER MOMSEN

The newest Arleigh Burke class guided-missile destroyer Momsen will be christened Saturday, Aug. 9, 2003, during an 11 a.m. EDT ceremony at Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine.

Deputy Commander and Chief of Staff, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, Vice Adm. Albert Konetzni will deliver the ceremony's principal address for the ship named to honor Vice Adm. Charles Bowers "Swede" Momsen. Momsen attended the U.S. Naval Academy and graduated in June 1919. He is best known for his efforts in the successful rescue of 33 crew members and the subsequent salvage of submarine USS Squalus after she sank in 240 feet of water in May 1939. Momsen received a commendation from President Franklin D. Roosevelt for these actions.

Momsen?s daughter, Evelyn Momsen Hailey, will serve as ship's sponsor. In the time-honored Navy tradition, Hailey will break a bottle of champagne across the bow to formally christen the ship.

Cdr. Edward F. Kenyon, a native of Binghamton, N.Y., is the ship?s prospective commanding officer and will have a crew of approximately 380 officers and enlisted personnel. Momsen is 511 feet in length, has a waterline beam of 59 feet, a navigational draft of 33 feet and four gas-turbine engines power the 9,200-ton ship to speeds in excess of 30 knots.

The 42nd ship of 62 Arleigh Burke class destroyers currently authorized by Congress, and the 23th to be built by Bath Iron Works. Momsen is a highly capable multi-mission ship that can conduct a variety of operations, from peacetime presence and crisis management to sea control and power projection, in support of the National Military Strategy. This ship will be capable of fighting air, surface and subsurface battles simultaneously. The ship contains myriad offensive and defensive weapons designed to support maritime defense needs well into the 21st century.

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2003/nr20030805-0323.html

I can't believe they're building all these Flight IIA burkes without a Harpoon provision.

TACTOM better be as good as advertised.

Comment

Where are Tactical Tomahawks coming into service anyways?

Comment

Where or when?

Where- USN Burkes and Ticos.

When- Now.

Comment

Sweet...Tactical Tomahawks are cheap compared to the early modeled Tomahawks. I believe $500,000 a peice, compared to $1 million.

Do you know how many we have ordered? Hopefully we get a lot, I think cruise missiles is a great power-projection tool, and also saves our pilot from hostile air defenses.

Comment

Not sure, but they are a LOT more capable than the Block III TLAM's.

Should be the cats pajama's for antishipping.

Comment

While I agree if at all possible we should use weapons systems that don't but our peopl in danger I worry much more about TOO heavy a reliance on technology.
              Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

Agreed

The military went through that fiasco in Vietnam. No guns on the Naval F-4's was a bad idea. I do hope that we keep a large enough number of fighting forces that we can do the job the hard way if needed :S
                Revelation 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
                (Been There)

Comment

Not "Commissioned", "Christened". She will be commissioned early spring 2004. Heres her homepage

http//www.momsen.navy.mil/DDG_92.htm

Comment

Welcome aboard Chief.

Comment

Sorry Rick, I am not a Naval genious lol...

Comment

Rick is. ;)

Rick was a sailor aboard a George Washington class SSBN for several cruises.

Good bud of mine, he knows his stuff.

Comment

Damn! He was aboard a Ballistic Missile Submarine? Cool!

If I may ask, what means 'Christened'? Thanks for the link Rick.

Comment

Hang on...they named a DESTROYER after Momsen? First O'Kane, now this. Next thing you know they'll be naming one after Rickover. Oh, while I'm thinking about it, does anyone have a link to info about the Tactical Tomahawk?
                            Boring the world, one post at a time

Comment

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/cno/n76/n76future2.html

"Tactical Tomahawk (TACTOM) the next generation Tomahawk cruise missile adds the capability to reprogram the missile while in-flight to strike any of 15 pre-programmed alternate targets or redirect the missile to any Global Positioning System (GPS) target coordinates. It also will be able to loiter over a target area, and with its on-board camera, will allow the warfighting commanders to assess battle damage. Launched from the Navy's forward-deployed ships and submarines, Tactical Tomahawk, will provide a greater flexibility to the on-scene commander. Tactical Tomahawk is projected to enter service in 2004. Improvements with TACTOM:

TACTOM cuts the cost of a Tomahawk missile nearly in half while improving responsiveness, survivability and flexibility. TACTOM provides the warrior with:
                              Improved anti-jam GPS
                              A two-way satellite data link
                              Increased accuracy and improved reliability
                              The capacity to loiter and then engage time critical targets on demand
                              The ability to flex via the data link to a preplanned alternate target, or to a real-time emerging target
                              A flexible design that can carry alternate payloads in the future."

<NOTE: TACTOM also has terminal man in the loop guidance capability....meaning it can be guided to fly through a particular window, or search for(like a plane) and target a moving ship after flying to a preselected GPS grid. >

Comment

Working...
                              X