• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sood enlists Musharraf, into anti-slur campaign

http://paktribune.com/news/index.php?id=115553

Musharraf backs removal of British slur against Punjabis
    Friday August 12, 2005 (1604 PST)

NEW DELHI, August 13 (Online): President General Pervez Musharraf has backed a move to expunge a 1924 ruling by a British judge making derogatory remarks against the Punjabi community.
    Musharraf affirmed his support when Indian lawyer Sonia Raj Sood met him in Islamabad the other day, according to a report received by IANS. Sood intends to file a petition in the Pakistan Supreme Court demanding that the remarks be expunged.

A portion of the judgment, handed down by the Lahore High Court that was headed by a British judge at the time, says: "It is well known that inhabitants of the Punjab at the time of death not only accuse the actual offenders but also include the names of other enemies and hence their dying declaration is unacceptable as a basis of conviction."

According to Sood, this collectively terms all Punjabis as "liars" and tramples on their pride and esteem.

In her memorandum to Musharraf, Sood said: "Mr. President, it now falls upon you to assuage the hurt sentiments of the Punjabis not only in the subcontinent but globally."

After the meeting with Musharraf, Sood said: "I was with the Pakistan president for nearly 15-20 minutes. He was highly gracious and gave me a patient hearing. He assured of looking into the matter and conveyed his warm respects and regards to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his best wishes to UPA chairperson and Congress president Sonia Gandhi. I also conveyed to him the greetings and best wishes of the people of India on his 62nd birthday (Thursday)."

Sood has also sought an apology from British Prime Minister Tony Blair for the remark.

"Mr. Tony (Blair) has to say a sweet word of sorry because it is an insult for my community," Sood was quoted as saying in Islamabad Thursday.

Sood has been accorded the status of a state guest in Pakistan.

On July 11 the Indian Supreme Court rejected her petition seeking expulsion of the remarks against the Punjabi community, saying the case was out of its jurisdiction.

But she has now turned to the Pakistani apex court with the hope of getting a favourable ruling that might redeem the image of Punjabis in India and Pakistan.

Sood is on a world tour to muster the support of the Punjabi community and has also written letters to the Indian and Pakistani presidents to use their good offices to extract a word of apology from the British prime minister.
Working...
X