Is france ever going to be able to sell a Rafale to anybody

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is france ever going to be able to sell a Rafale to anybody

I was just thinking about that. New aircraft being used and the numberof countries that have commited to ordering them:

F-35 (3 or four I think - US, UK, Austr, who else?)

Typhoon - 5 - (UK, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria)

SU-30 - 5 - (Russian, China, India, Malaysia?, Indonesia)

F-16Blk50+/Blk60 - 6- Poland, Greece, Turkey (through upgrades), Israel, Chile,
    UAE, and probably some others I haven't thought of

Rafale - No Body but France

Any thoughts or comments?

Perhaps they should reduce a few millions now, afterall?

Comment

RE: Is france ever going to be able to sell a Rafale to anybody

> JBodnar39
      > Is france ever going to be able to sell a Rafale to anybody
      That is real problematic. Rafale in being an "omni-role" aircraft, has wound up positioning itself in between the fifth generation aircraft and highly modified fourth generation aircraft. It also faces the problem that many countries could choose to modify their existing aircraft with extensive modeification packages. Like the new products being offered for the F-15C+'s (F-15K type of modification), F-16C's and, F/A-18C+'s.
      The Typhoon is an air superiority fighter with ground attack capability, in essence a strike fighter. The F-35 and family is unique and relatively inexpensive for its capabilities. Many countries are buying some of these other aircraft and will purchase the F-35 when it becomes available.
      For those who need a point defense fighter that is inexpensive (relatively) there is the Gripen JAS-39C. The F/A-18E/F is also a omni-role aircraft and, then there are the Russian aircraft.

As I see it, there are simply to many different aircraft on the market and to few countries that are willing to purcase the them and unless your country has unique needs, the separation between all the different parameters of all the aircraft are close in many cases. Financing will be a large factor in the purchase of any weapon system. The other aspect to reduce cost is the technology "offset" or co-production of the aircraft. This is why the F-16 sold so well in Europe. Each coutry involved in the offset deal will produce a portion of the aircraft. Thus not only reducing the cost of the aircraft but also improving the technology base within that country.
      The Germany, Netherlands and Norway countries that will play an important part in swinging votes or influence in the purchase of new aircraft.

> F-35 (3 or four I think - US, UK, Austr, who else?)
      Israel or Saudi Arabia and any country that wants to replace the F-15E type aircraft

Adrian

Comment

India??
        Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

Originally posted by avon1944
          > F-35 (3 or four I think - US, UK, Austr, who else?)
          Israel or Saudi Arabia and any country that wants to replace the F-15E type aircraft
          Israel was kicked out of JSF-program as far as I know because they gave US-technologies to China while Saudi Arabia seems to have a look on the Typhoon.

Rafale will get it's chance. Switzerland for example is looking for a fighter that should replace their F-5s in 2011.
          >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus
            India??
            Rafale was offered to India for to be stationed on aircraft carrier Gorshkow. The deal failed because the sale of Gorshkow was linked with the sale of MiG-29K.
            >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Working...
            X