Least Favorite War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Least Favorite War Movie

To go along with Favorite War Movie thread, I'd thought I'd start this one.

Mine is Pearl Harbor. I thought U-571 was entertainging, but it trampled on history so badly it gets special mention.

any film that is hideously inaccurate with history, but is used to make a political/nationalistic point or to further a particular persons obvious prejudice. cough/mel gibson/cough

patriot.

U751

Braveheart - because my wife gets p1ssed, slaps on the make up and chases me around the house with a breadknife shouting about 'freedom'.
    before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Pearl Harbor certainly, almost all Bollywood war movies.
      "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Enemy at the Gates.

Pure crap, start to finish.

Comment

Enemy at the Gates- Cant imagine Kruschev speaking with an american accent

U571- Impractical
          Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

U571 - almost a crime.

Anything with John Wayne in it (why did the US army bother with all the other soldiers?)
            at

Comment

U-571 seems to be unanimus. A truely horrible movie with so many inconsistancy's it made a naval buff like me want to upchuck dinner.....
              Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

I haven't seen any really accurate war movies out of hollywood, but the above choices are all pretty bad. Enemy at the Gates did have one redeeming factor...Rachel Weisz.

Its not a historical war movie, but Megaforce has my vote for worst movie ever made of any genre, and it is generally a war movie.
                Rule 303

Comment

I almost forgot, Windtalkers could suck the fuzz off a tennis ball.
                  Rule 303

Comment

Windtalkers, in all it's anything explodes if shot by a garand glory.

And the way at least one member over on BHD93 talks it up the movie version of Blackhawk Down is bad in their "whata-they know?" opinion. (Fahgetabout the videogame.)

Comment

does GI Jane count, as that was really sh1t.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
                        Windtalkers, in all it's anything explodes if shot by a garand glory.
                        Hey! I admit it was a little "girly" and sentimental - but it was sweet. ;)
                        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

When I was first at West Point and realized the inaccuracies in Hollywood films, all war movies used to piss me off bad. However, I soon overcame that now only apply that level of scrutiny to films that make a big deal out of being realistic. Band of Brothers is the pinnacle IMO. The only movie in recent history that pissed me off was Thin Red Line. I quit watching after about 15-30 minutes. It sucked as a reality war movie.

As far as favorite military movies, Stripes is up there. Just bought the DVD on sale at Target last weekend. There's 20 minutes of footage that was cut from the original movie that's in this version. I'm going to watch it this weekend. It was neat being at Fort Knox while my brother was there and having him point out all the places where the movie was shot.
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                            Hey! I admit it was a little "girly" and sentimental - but it was sweet. ;)
                            Hey your preaching to the choir on that one. So says the guy who's oddly comparable to Spike from Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and who has a rep for being sentimental towards a few women, though mostly my fiance'. But only half the time at the most.

Comment

U-571 had it's problems, no question about that and I wouldnt buy it, but I didnt mind it too much.

Independence Day (not a "war" movie, but still....) was a mockery of everything about the military. Right up to throwing anybody who claimed they could fly a plane into an F/A-18C

Top Gun was pure bullshyt (though the opening takeoff and landing montage completely kicked ass). 2 squadrons of F-14s (at the very least) but we can only get three fighters in the air because Cats 3 and 4 are broken.....and Cats 1 and 2 seem to have vanished into thin air.

Pearl Harbor was mostly bull as well (nice job on USS Oklahoma though) especially the Doolittle Raid. I'm just going to hop out of a single engine P-40 and trot on over to my "other" aircraft, a twin-engine B-25 Mitchell.
                              Last edited by TopHatter; 10 Aug 05,, 19:17.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X