• Show
Clear All

• Bombers?

russian black jack vs us b-52

Wich one of these bombers is superior?

Originally posted by latinoppimp
    russian black jack vs us b-52

Wich one of these bombers is superior?
    The B52, because its far better maintenance outcompetes virtually every other factor.

A better comparison, however, would be the Tu-95 vs the B-52, and the Rockwell B-1B Lancer vs the Tupolev Tu-160 Blackjack.
    HD Ready?

Comment

Blackjack is a lot faster at altitude isnt it? Bigger.

Comment

“The first few times I experienced a B-52 attack it seemed, as I strained to press myself into the bunker floor, that I had been caught in the Apocalypse. The terror was complete. One lost control of bodily functions as the mind screamed incomprehensible orders to get out.”
        ~Former Viet Cong Guerilla, Truong Nhu Tang

That about says it all.

Comment

The two are not really comparable as they were both designed for different missions.
          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

B2 Spirit.

Comment

Heard a great old saying years ago:
              "Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make history."

Comment

Heh. That's true to a certain degree. But what about fighter pilots like Erich Hartmann or Chuck Yeager?
                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I think the b 52 is better than blackjack

Comment

RE: Bombers

> HistoricalDavid
                    > A better comparison, however, would be the Tu-95 vs the B-52
                    One thing that has always cause me to respect Soviet engineers is the Tu-95. Originally the B-52 was to have four turbo props, counter-rotating and, slightly swepted wings!! Boeing was in danger of defaulting on the contract when GE developed jet engines powerful enough for the B-52 to be used. The Tu-160 can also carry a heavier weaons load in its bomb bay. Now, the total weight carried is slightly in favor of the B-52 with the many iron bomb racks on the wings.
                    Discovery Wings did a program "Great Planes -The B-52." The designers talked about how close they came to defaulting on the contract. They approached the USAF about changing the design from turbo-props to turbo-jets, even though the B-47 was already operational with turbo-jet engines.
                    The Tupolev designers were able to solve the excessive vibration problems and created an enduring aircraft. The fast pace at which aircraft were being developed, the B-52 was planned to operational for only ten years before being replaced by a new bomber. That replacement bomber is still on its way fifty years later.

> the Rockwell B-1B Lancer vs the Tupolev Tu-160 Blackjack
                    The Tu-160 was the disaster in the bomber world the same way Su-27 (T-10) was with fighter programs!! Twenty years from initial development to operational status.
                    The Blackjack is about twenty percent larger than the B-1B but its performance is very similar to the B-1A!

> leibstandarte10
                    > The two are not really comparable as they were both designed for different missions
                    Similar missions different eras. They were both designed to be high altitude penetrating bombers.

> SnakePlisken
                    > I think the b 52 is better than blackjack
                    That is like saying the F-8 Crusader is a better plane than the MiG.-29, no way! (Same age difference) As a penetrating bomber, survivability in a B-52 does not have a high percentage against a modern IADS. The cruise missile has greatly extended the life span of the B-52.
                    The Tu-160 is still the number one threat of the SNA to surface warships. Now that the Tomcat has retired, as a cruise missile carrier/bomber there is little threat. Survivability should be very high.

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                    X