X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nassiriyah...what REALLY happened

Courtesy Military.com

By Ed Offley

By all accounts, he was not Ranger material: A scrawny, 23-year-old Army soldier from Kansas who shot a mediocre 26 on the M-16 qualification range, worked as a welder in a rear-area maintenance unit, and in his own words, had authority problems with officers.

That was until the morning of March 23, 2003, on the banks of the Euphrates River outside Nasiriyah, Iraq, where Pfc. Patrick Miller became an icon of heroism and true grit.

Miller was driving a five-ton wrecker towing a water trailer when the rest of his unit from the 507th Maintenance Co. took a wrong turn and drove straight into the city. The horrific ambush that followed, where Iraqis killed 11 soldiers (including two from another unit), wounded nine and took six prisoner, has been widely documented in recent months because of the media feeding frenzy over Pfc. Jessica Lynch.

It is a sad and cynical commentary on our times that reporters, Hollywood screenplay writers and other members of the chattering class were so blinded by the politically-correct stereotypes fueled by the (inaccurate) accounts of Lynch's heroism that they were blinded to the astounding story of what Miller did during the ambush at Nasariyah.

Reporter Tom Bowman of The Baltimore Sun did much to correct journalism's sorry record when his blow-by-blow account of Pfc. Patrick Miller appeared in the newspaper last Sunday. (We have created a link to Bowman's article, "The Unknown Hero of the 507th," here at SFTT.org.)

Miller and a second soldier and the other 507th soldiers were trapped by a fast-moving mobile ambush staged by Iraqi Fedayeen Saddam fighters in trucks and other vehicles, who riddled the cumbersome vehicles with AK-47 fire and RPG grenades. At one point, they slowed to pick up two other soldiers in a disabled vehicle, retrieving one while the other vanished and was killed several hundred yards away. Minutes later an Iraqi bullet shattered the windshield, instantly killing Pvt. Brandon U. Sloan.

[B] Miller was desperately trying to reach friendly troops on the other side of the Euphrates River when the truck's transmission began giving out. He and the other survivor, Sgt. James Riley, jumped from the truck and ran forward until they came upon a grisly sight: an Army Humvee that had smashed into a disabled truck. All five soldiers inside were either dead or seriously injured, and only one, Lynch, would survive.

It is clear that Miller and the other soldiers were unprepared for the vicious firefight that was escalating around them. As the official Army investigation into the ambush later concluded, practically all of the soldiers' M-16 rifles had already jammed due to insufficient maintenance and cleaning. Miller himself, Bowman writes, had not even fired his M-16 since visiting a training range seven months earlier, in August 2002. Bowman's narrative continues:

"Miller reached an earthen berm just across the road from the Iraqi truck. Then he noticed a group of Iraqis in front of the dump truck, some 50 feet away, setting up a mortar tube. A rocket-propelled grenade slammed into the far side of the berm, and Miller rolled out the other side. When he crawled back inside and peered over the top, he could see an Iraqi ready to drop a mortar round into the tube.

The Iraqis, apparently untrained Fedayeen fighters, sprayed Miller's berm with inaccurate fire. Meanwhile, the young welder discovered he could only fire his rifle in single-shot mode. Bowman continues:

"But Miller's rifle was jammed. A spent round would eject, but the new round would only go halfway into the chamber. Miller slammed his palm into a lever on the side of the gun, and the bullet slid into place. He raised his rifle and fired. The Iraqi collapsed in a heap before he could fire the mortar round. … "One by one, Miller, by his count, shot seven Iraqis as each popped up and tried to work the mortar. After it was over, a large bruise spread over Miller's palm from the constant slapping against the rifle."

Suddenly, several dozen armed Iraqis swarmed the site and Miller and the others threw down their weapons. Miller and four other soldiers were hustled off into captivity while their captors took gravely injured Pfc. Lori Ann Piestewa (who died shortly thereafter) and Lynch to a hospital.

In captivity, his co-prisoners described Miller as defiant, singing Toby Keith's anti-terrorist song, "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue." He even managed to fool the Iraqis into believing that a sheet of radio callsigns and frequencies in his pocket was a list of machine parts and their order numbers. Several weeks later, a Marine patrol rescued them.

Through no fault of her own, Jessica Lynch became the poster girl of women in combat, stoked by Pentagon officials with an axe to grind and reporters unable (or unwilling) to look beyond their own most cherished illusions.

Interviewed by reporter Bowman, Patrick Miller declined to express resentment or anger over Lynch's book deal, movie contract and network TV interviews. One of his fellow prisoners in Iraq, Spc. Shoshana Johnson, said it best, telling Bowman: "Jessica's a wonderful girl, and we're happy she's OK. But it was Patrick; it wasn't Jessica. His weapon was working. He was doing everything possible. Patrick deserves so much, and he's not getting the recognition. He's still a private first class. He hasn't even been promoted."

The Army did award him the Silver Star for valor - he was the only member of the 507th to receive it - as well as the Purple Heart and POW medal for his actions. He is currently assigned at Fort Carson, Colo., where he works in the motor pool and lives in a modest home with his wife and two children.

Col. Heidi V. Brown, who commanded the Army task force in Iraq that included Miller's company, personally wrote the citations for his awards. Brown has compiled a detailed account of Miller's actions at Nasiriyah and briefs her subordinate officers on the soldier's performance. She concludes, asking a question of her audience: "Would you do the things he did? … Could you?"

Thanks to reporter Bowman, the entire nation finally has gotten the real story about that tragic morning in Iraq. Each of us can ask ourselves the same question: "Would I do the things he did? … Could I?"

Ed Offley is Editor of DefenseWatch. He can be reached at [email protected]. ©2003 DefenseWatch. All opinions expressed in this article are the author's and do not necessarily reflect those of Military.com.

Hmmm, no comments?

Pretty lame cats.

Comment

I wasn't there and so my comments would be totally out of place.

I, too would love to hear from some folks who know what actually happened.

Yet, I know that from hindsight it is awfully easy to pass judgement and pontificate.

Some comments, please.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

My comments are ones of disgust.

Why were not the weapons up to shape? This is a freaking war zone and the 1st rule is weapons maintenance. You clean your guns EVERY morning and EVERY night whether they need it or not. That is SOP and should be enforced all the way down.

Why didn't the drivers go through counter-ambush techniques (ie drive straight through the ambush - I know it's counter-intuitive but hear me out. The fastest way out of an ambush is directly in front, even if the road is blocked. Just gun the engine. You don't think about it. Thinking about it would cost you that few extra seconds that would have gotten you out of the ambush if you just drive straight through).

PFC Miller deserves a citation and then four days in the stockade for not keeping his weapon up to par.

Col Brown should be brought up on charges on dereliction of duty for not bringing his people up to par.

PFC Miller did fantastic work but the fact is that if people had done their jobs, he shouldn't have had to be so brave.

Comment

While I agree with the Col in sentiment, as far as the weapons go, I don't agree with the part about Miller going to the stockade, as far as I'm concerned his POW captivity would count for time served.

I never once (outside of training for it) had to use SPORTS on my rifle, and it was an old and worn out rifle, in basic. While I'll admit Ft Jackson sand is not quite the same as Iraqi sand, it could still lead to some of the same problems without proper maintanance. Maybe I just got lucky and had a good (better than it looked) rifle, but it seems to me that the frontline units weren't having the same catastrophic problems that the 577th did.
          Last edited by Stinger; 09 Oct 03,, 17:01.
          Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

For anyone who is wondering, 'SPORTS' means:

S: Slap magazine into well
            P: Pull charging handle
            O: Observe chamber for jam
            R: Release charging handle
            T: Tap forward assist
            S: Shoot the bad guy

I do agree about the unit commander being disciplined, but i think i would leave the PFC alone- watching numerous friends die is probably punishment(and lesson) enough.

It does not surprise me in the slightest that the 577th had no counter-ambush training whatsoever. REMFs never get that sort of training unless it is initiated at their Bn level, which is probably close to never.

Comment

I've just found this thread and would like to make some kind of relevent comment on it, but I am certainly not qualified.
              I will relate this anecdote:
              When I was NY a couple of years ago and was able to fire that AR-15, I was given no "training" as far as the operation of the rifle went. That is to say, there was no need for me to field-strip the weapon, clean it or otherwise diagnose problems with it. The owner of the rifle was not there, I was there with his mother (a dead shot with multiple types of firearms and owner of several weapons herself, not to mention being a total MILF :blush ).
              Loading the magazine with rounds, loading the rifle and cocking it were all pretty self-explanatory, both by watching her and getting a few tips along the way. We had gone through several magazines worth and I felt fairly confident with the rifle. However, while she was getting something from the car (about 5 feet way), the 1st round in a new mag didnt seat itself correctly. Something just didnt feel right, even in my limited experience. Out of sheer instinct (well, that and repeated History Channel shows on the M-16) my right palm went to the manual bolt closure (the forward assist, I believe) the round immeaditely seated itself correctly and the weapon performed correctly. Unbeknownst to me, she was standing behind and the right of me the whole time. She was quite surprised and asked how I knew to do that. I explained and the rest of the afternoon went quite well (That evening went even better :angel ). Had we more time, I would have demanded lessons in cleaning the weapon properly (she took care of that herself while I was policing up all our gear)
              I have been reading and studying about the military for many years now, both non-fiction and fiction (yes, Tom Clancy). The one lesson that I've noticed time and time again has been CLEAN YOUR WEAPON . Before you eat sleep or shit, CLEAN YOUR F--KING WEAPON .
              I am confident that, had I been in Miller and Lynch's unit, I would've begged borrowed or stolen the time needed to keep my weapon clean and in top working condition. Every Clancy or Bond novel I've read has had characters that stressed that over and over again. There simply is no excuse. It does not matter whether you are only carrying a 9mm 50 miles from the front or an M-60 150 miles beyond the front.

I will say once again that I'm not qualified to criticize soldiers of any army, having never served.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                For anyone who is wondering, 'SPORTS' means:

S: Slap magazine into well
                P: Pull charging handle
                O: Observe chamber for jam
                R: Release charging handle
                T: Tap forward assist
                S: Shoot the bad guy

I do agree about the unit commander being disciplined, but i think i would leave the PFC alone- watching numerous friends die is probably punishment(and lesson) enough.

It does not surprise me in the slightest that the 577th had no counter-ambush training whatsoever. REMFs never get that sort of training unless it is initiated at their Bn level, which is probably close to never.
                Our DS did cover in basic that if your squad was ambushed then you charge through the ambush... but I can't say how many people were paying attention.

As a completely off topic question: Snipe did you realize theat "Combat rolls" (ie tucking your weapon and rolling to the other side of your covered position) are no longer to be used? Someone high up decided they are to dangerous, and that instead you should (in a near push up type stance) scoot your yourself sideways. now to me this just seems like a good way to get shot in the ass. (the DS still showed us how to do combat rolls they just admonished us to "never do them") :D

Comment

"Our DS did cover in basic that if your squad was ambushed then you charge through the ambush... but I can't say how many people were paying attention. "

That's a standard tactic for dismounted troops to employ, but it don't work in vehicles too well, lol.

I had no idea they stopped the combat roll. What else they cut, the 3-5 second rush and bound and overwatch?

Go figure.

Comment

The DS made sure to show us, repeatedly, how to do a combat role so that we would know what NOT (wink wink) to do it. It was one of those things that you could tell they were teaching and saying only because the had to, not because they agreed with it.

Edit: also this was back in 98, no telling what they've done since then.... there's been a good five years to jack things up even worse.

Comment

I would have to re-consider PFC Miller, not because I wouldn't do it but because it would not be well known enough. The person I would toss would be PFC Lynch.

The point here isn't to add insult to injury but to demonstrate institutional intolerance to such stupidity. If PFC Miller were to go on in his career, such a punishement would have made an impression and the correct procedure to follow if he notes the same in recruits.

There can be no excuse for Col Brown and the CO of the 507. The unit was definetely not combat qualified and they've had months to prepared. Especially considering the kind of campaign to be expected when all LOCs were expected not to be secured.
                      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 09 Oct 03,, 18:29.

Comment

One constant thing that kept ringing in head the whole time during OIF was: "Why in the hell are all of these supply convoys getting shot to hell??" It was almost embarassing to watch the news every day.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                          One constant thing that kept ringing in head the whole time during OIF was: "Why in the hell are all of these supply convoys getting shot to hell??" It was almost embarassing to watch the news every day.
                          That couldn't be helped. The speed of the advance dictated that there wouldn't be time to secure the LOCs. The Pause was already planned because of the supply situation. Securing the LOCs would even took longer and allow the Medina to regroup after its miserable performance against the 3-7Cav.

Comment

"There can be no excuse for Col Brown and the CO of the 507. The unit was definetely not combat qualified and they've had months to prepared. Especially considering the kind of campaign to be expected when all LOCs were expected not to be secured."

Sir, of that there is no doubt.

To guarantee LOC security, you need LOC patrols and LOC checkpoints, and perimeter security forces for bypassed enemy fortifications(Which is what Al Nassiriyah was). When you go in with 80,000 instead of the planned for 130,000- or indeed the originally assesed 200,000- shit is going to happen, and happen it did- and happen it still does.

Comment

Colonel,

Securing the LoC should not be such a problem, especially in a desert terrain with good fields of fire. There was no dearth of mech forces and the 'hammer and anvil' tactics could have been used.

Cleaning of one's weapon is immensely boring a chore, but the best way to ensure your weapon fires and save lives.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X