Makings of a Country Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makings of a Country Song

So, it's 2:55AM in the morning, and I'm waiting for a plumber to show up.

For almost 2 months now (well, since we moved in in July, actually) we've been bugging our landlord that the plumbing is for shite and that something needs to be done. The kitchen sink doesn't drain, and there's no water pressure in the shower to speak of. Then the shower drain started blocking up, so we called the landlord, who called a plumber. The plumber came on a Thursday for 15 minutes, looked around and told the landlord that it was much more than just a low water pressure/clogged drain issue and that he would come by Sunday or Monday to fix it. That was almost a month ago, haven't heard from him since.

As the situation stands now, it's 2:55 in the morning, I've got a toilet that loads up to the rim every time you flush, and a bathtub filled with three inches of shitty water, that no matter of plunging will ever get to drop. Now I've gotta pay an emergency plumber almost $300 that I sure as shit hope the landlord will reimburse me for, and I haven't even had brushed my teeth yet!
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Depending on the law and your lease, the usual approach is to deduct such expenses from the next rent check. But, your results may vary . . .
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
      So, it's 2:55AM in the morning, and I'm waiting for a plumber to show up.

For almost 2 months now (well, since we moved in in July, actually) we've been bugging our landlord that the plumbing is for shite and that something needs to be done. The kitchen sink doesn't drain, and there's no water pressure in the shower to speak of. Then the shower drain started blocking up, so we called the landlord, who called a plumber. The plumber came on a Thursday for 15 minutes, looked around and told the landlord that it was much more than just a low water pressure/clogged drain issue and that he would come by Sunday or Monday to fix it. That was almost a month ago, haven't heard from him since.

As the situation stands now, it's 2:55 in the morning, I've got a toilet that loads up to the rim every time you flush, and a bathtub filled with three inches of shitty water, that no matter of plunging will ever get to drop. Now I've gotta pay an emergency plumber almost $300 that I sure as shit hope the landlord will reimburse me for, and I haven't even had brushed my teeth yet!
      Is this in Israel? And if so, are there any date palms around the building? If there are, I will lay 5 to 1 that is your problem. Palms, especially date palms have these tiny, thread-like roots that snake their way through threaded pipe fittings and then proceed to clog up the works. It's usually only a problem with gravity drains like your tub, shower or toilet, but it can be an issue with supply lines as well in some parts of the world where threaded pipe connectors are used in potable water supply piping. Wouldn't happen in the States; at least not these days, but some older construction might still be an issue. My parents house in San Diego, which has lots of date palms nearby is a classic example. It was built in the early 1930s and still has all of the original plumbing. It's a pain in the ass. In any event, the gravity drains are a relatively easy fix, because they can be chased by a power-rooter thing, but the supply lines will be a pain in the ass. They probably need replacing, period.

Comment

A month? At 2 weeks I would have filled up 5 gallon buckets with the shit and dumped it on the landlord's front door.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Desertswo,

Not date palms, a bush that was planted near our drainage line had sent roots into the line. The thing grew until it filled up the entire pipe. I had used chemical drainers in the bathtub and toilet, but they did nothing to this behemoth. The plumber spent a good 15 minutes wrestling with it to get it out.

Bonehead,

It wasn't that it was backing up the entire time, it was just draining relatively slowly. The one time there was a semi-serious backup, some plunger work managed to clear it up. But yeah, the landlord's attitude is seriously beginning to get me goat.... Maybe the fact that he's paying for emergency plumbing work in the middle of the night will wake him up to start taking care of things before they reach this situation....
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

When I saw this thread, I thought you needed help writing a country song...Lol.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
              Well, did his horse leave him? If not, it can't be a country song. Although, it was a pretty good story.

Comment

Desertswo,

Not date palms, a bush that was planted near our drainage line had sent roots into the line. The thing grew until it filled up the entire pipe. I had used chemical drainers in the bathtub and toilet, but they did nothing to this behemoth. The plumber spent a good 15 minutes wrestling with it to get it out.
                Well, I was partially right. We have a similar problem here with Texas Sage, but all the piping in new construction is PVC so roots aren't generally in issue . . . not that they don't try. You know how deserts are; things work really hard at staying alive, and develop all sorts of tricks in doing so. Meanwhile, I spent a lifetime in one three-year period chasing gravity drain and potable water supply problems in an aircraft carrier. The stories I could tell about how just one valve being inadvertently shut in either would not only ruin my whole day, but someone's office or berthing compartment, etc., as well. It was painful to say the least.

Comment

Desertswo,

Bonehead,

It wasn't that it was backing up the entire time, it was just draining relatively slowly. The one time there was a semi-serious backup, some plunger work managed to clear it up. But yeah, the landlord's attitude is seriously beginning to get me goat.... Maybe the fact that he's paying for emergency plumbing work in the middle of the night will wake him up to start taking care of things before they reach this situation....

Copper sulphate usually does a number on roots. It is best to dump it in flush a time or two and go on vacation for a few days. At this point it sounds like an excavation job and a new pipe is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                    And nothing about pickup trucks or dogs....
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      And nothing about pickup trucks or dogs....
                      Or divorce, crop failure, drunk, arrested, etc..;)

They say...If you play a country song backwards, you get it all back.
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                        Copper sulphate usually does a number on roots. It is best to dump it in flush a time or two and go on vacation for a few days. At this point it sounds like an excavation job and a new pipe is in order.
                        Luckily there was no need for that, the plumber was able to get at the root and clear the pipe out with minimal damage to the pipe itself

Comment

The first thing I thought was

"Sucks being Bennie"

Then the last verse to "You never even called me by my name" got stuck in my head all day.

Damn you Bennie

The perfect country song. It includes mamma, Trucks, trains, prison and booze. The only thing missing is a dog
                          WELL, I WAS DRUNK THE DAY MY MOM GOT OUT OF PRISON
                          AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP IN THE RAIN
                          BUT BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE STATION IN MY PICKUP TRUCK
                          SHE GOT RUN OVER BY A DAMNED OLD TRAIN
                          Last edited by Gun Grape; 03 Dec 13,, 01:55.

Comment

Luckily there was no need for that, the plumber was able to get at the root and clear the pipe out with minimal damage to the pipe itself
                            If the plant got roots in there the first time the pipe will leak from here on out. Leaky sewer lines are bad news, nor will it take long before the roots return.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              The perfect country song. It includes mamma, Trucks, trains, prison and booze. The only thing missing is a dog
                              What about that extra smoking, smart girl that left the guy?
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                              X