The Melrose (Place) Factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Melrose (Place) Factor

I was very disappointed last night to see the Spanish night time soap I watch at work at the start of the week change formats. Ie, what entices the eye with this

"Como dice el dicho"

went to a show of boyfriends beating up on girlfriends, dad remembering his violent domestic upbringing, dad later on throwing a temper tantrum and destroying the nice home, and one didn't really get to the main cast or even the coffee shop till 3/4's into the show. It all ended with a happy ending, but what a mess to go through to get there.

Mind you, I don't speak Spanish, so I really don't understand what is being said (but I am getting better at picking up phrases). As to why I am watching this at work in the first place, it's that kind of job. A Network Operations Center and I have two big TV screens above my head in addition to a bunch of monitors to watch. Long story short (we can get more into detail later if needed), I find having the Spanish channels on is more relaxing, even more informative than the garbage so often on the American channels. More relaxing, that is, up to last night.

Oh, why, why, why the change? Then it suddenly hit me a few moments ago. The Melrose Factor.

When "Melrose Place" first came on Fox in the early 90's, it was a ho-hum night time soap, low in the ratings. Poor yuppies trying to make their way in the world. End the first season, come along second season, the format seriously changed, it became outlandish, they were no longer friends but knifing each other in the back, and the ratings took off. Adultry, housewife hookers, murder at sea, bringing in babes to seduce and break up relationships, framings, getting the law to off your boyfriend, cults, blowing up complexes, Christmas Carols, The Bi**h who couldn't DIE, and on ward and up ward. I think the only thing they didn't have was a UFO abduction but I might have missed that one.

There are so many factors of "modern" life we could say to this. Get them hooked and then they'll watch forever. This isn't the 50's; plain just doesn't cut it! Show them a world where the bad rarely, if ever, get caught, punished.....but if they do, then it is hell on Earth. Etc, etc, etc.

As far as "Como dice el dicho" goes, I don't know. Two TV screens, 4 Spanish channels, and often, "Children International" or the Bosley hair club in Spanish, are on. For me, the TV screens are necessary because their output brightens up a dark, depressing command center. Other workers may like to have it like NORAD, but I don't.
Working...
X