US army keen to learn from India's counter-insurgency operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US army keen to learn from India's counter-insurgency operations

WASHINGTON: Impressed by the Indian Army's successful counter-terrorism operations, the US Army chief has proposed joint training between the armies of the two countries.

Noting that there is much to learn between the militaries of the two countries, US Army Chief of Staff General Ray Odierno called for joint training to benefit from India's experiences in counter-insurgency in a tough environment and difficult terrain.

"We would love to do some joint training in the mountainous environment, because what the Indian Army has learned over the years, we would love to share what we learned about counter-insurgency and compare experiences and see how we can learn from each other and how we can direct that to use in the future, so for me it is something that is important," Odierno told PTI in an interview.

Odierno, 58, during a rare trip to India late last month, met his Indian counterpart General Bikram Singh besides holding meetings with defence minister A K Antony and visiting the Northern Command headquarters in Udhampur.

Highly impressed by the Indian military's successful counter-insurgency operations, he said, the US would like to learn from the Indian experience as to how to fight terrorists in a tough environment and difficult terrain.

When asked if the US would like to have joint exercises in Jammu and Kashmir where the terrain is difficult like that of Afghanistan, Odierno said he would like to look at that.

Odierno said that this is something that the US may be interested in but still need to take a look at by sending people to train in these types of environments.

"I think, we would like to look at...we send may be send some people to learn how you train and operate in those environment and those are kind of had some initial discussions on...much more has to be done. It is things like that we would be interested in," he said.

"Everybody recognises, India has so much in common with the US and that it is important for us to sustain a strong long-lasting relationship," the US Army Chief of Staff said.

"It is important for us to sustain a long-term relationship of one that is equal, one that respects each other's strategic autonomy, but that one that enables us to learn from each other to develop together, to deal with many of the issues that we face around the world," he said.
    Source

Good going. I am all for US-India co-op in every sphere of life.
    Last edited by Oracle; 04 Aug 13,, 15:59.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

CIJWS (Motto - Fight the guerrilla like a guerrilla). Vairengte is an hour from my home.

The original plans to set up a counter-insurgency unit to train soldiers came about following the government response to the Mizo militancy in the 1960s. Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw, then the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief (GOC-IN-C) of the Indian Army's Eastern Command, was the first proponent for the institute.[3]
    CIJW was established in 1967 as the Jungle Training School. It was initially located in Mynkre, near Jowal in Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya. In 1968, the designation was changed to Eastern Command Counter Insurgency Training School. On 1 May 1970, it was upgraded to a Category A Training Establishment of the Indian Army, given its current name and relocated to Vairengte. Brigadier Mathew Thomas was appointed the school's first Commandant.
    The crisis in neighbouring East Pakistan and the resulting liberation struggle for Bangladesh prompted a temporary refocus as the Mukti Bahini guerrillas were trained at the institute. Operation Jackpot undertaken by the Mukti Bahini rebels was an instance of the school's training success. Since the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, CIJW has focused to its primary role of counter-insurgency training.
    CIJW has hosted visiting military units for training from the United States, Singapore, Nepal, Bhutan, Russia, United Kingdom, Israel , France, Bangladesh and many other nations.
    The success of this school prompted the establishment of another counter-insurgency training centre, the Kaziranga Special Jungle Warfare Training School in Assam.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      Agreed, it would produce huge benefits for both.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Lessons already being forgotten and we're moving back to the reccee battle.

Comment

These exercises aren't new. The Americans do joint exercises with everyone barring the Russians, North Koreans and maybe the Chinese. There have been numerous such US-India joint exercises as well after which both sides have "learnt a lot from each other" if the press statements are to be believed.

However no amount of lessons will help in a war if your supply lines run through the country wherein most of your foes take shelter.

Comment

Adding

US, India Consider C-17 Exchange

US grabs wallet-sized bomb detector created by DRDO

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
              These exercises aren't new. The Americans do joint exercises with everyone barring the Russians, North Koreans and maybe the Chinese. There have been numerous such US-India joint exercises as well after which both sides have "learnt a lot from each other" if the press statements are to be believed.
              Russians and Americans cooperate and hold drills.

Colorado, Atlas Vision, Northern Eagle, Vigilant Eagle...
              They are not on par with what US and Japan or Korea do, or Russians and Chinese, but the coop is there.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Source

Since we're training the Afghans, the Americans would like to go to the source.

This should be a good learning experience for both. What worked for us and what worked for them and vice versa.

Comment

CIJWS (Motto - Fight the guerrilla like a guerrilla). Vairengte is an hour from my home.
                  The wikipedia article you provided stinks of jingoistic armchair general talk. I'm going to edit it.

Eg:

Today, the ultra-commando trainee is educated, uses the Internet for gathering information, disseminating propaganda, negotiating arms deal and is familiar with hi-tech explosives. At the same time the trainee is trained with native skills like using easily available materials in forest which can be used to devise deadly traps that can kill an elephant with nothing more than bamboos and vines.
                  But simply deploying large force is useless as it never produces any result. Learning to operate in small teams, studying the pattern of the militants, establishing an intelligence network, knowing their traditional sanctuaries, maintaining the element of surprise, selecting the site for counter ambush, observing the discipline of when exactly to open fire, knowing field craft and jungle craft well enough to remain undetected, and improvising within a given situation, is the kind of stuff that breaks an ambush. And it’s this which is taught nowhere else better than at CIJW School.
                  *coughs*

Comment

Elephant traps and the Internets - serious stuff
                    Last edited by troung; 06 Aug 13,, 00:31.
                    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
                      The wikipedia article you provided stinks of jingoistic armchair general talk.
                      Good luck finding sound citations

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
                        Good luck finding sound citations
                        I just deleted everything. Half of it cited a forum post that was a clone of the wikipedia text.

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
                          I just deleted everything. Half of it cited a forum post that was a clone of the wikipedia text.
                          You didn't do nothing. Prove it otherwise.

Comment

You didn't do nothing. Prove it otherwise.
                            I'm curious as to why you would want to know, but whatever the case is you can look at the revision history of any article in Wikipedia by heading to the "history" page.

Comment

I believe he was mocking you. If not, I am curious, too.
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                              X