Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romania ex-PM Adrian Nastase in suicide attempt after prison conviction

All over the news today :

"20 June 2012 Last updated at 18:57 ET Share this pageEmail Print Share this page

Romania ex-PM Adrian Nastase in suicide attempt
    Romanian television broadcast pictures of Nastase being taken to hospital Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories
    Country profile: Romania
    Bulgaria and Romania chided by EU
    Former Romanian Prime Minister Adrian Nastase has attempted to commit suicide by shooting himself in the neck.

The incident occurred when police arrived at Nastase's house to take him to prison, local media reports say.

Hours earlier Romania's highest court had upheld a two-year prison sentence against Nastase on corruption charges.

Nastase, who held office between 2000 and 2004, was convicted for illegally amassing about 1.5m euros ($1.9m; £1.2m) for his 2004 election campaign.

He insisted that the charges were politically motivated.

Current Prime Minister Victor Ponta, described as an ally of Nastase, visited him in hospital after the incident.

Nastase's condition was "under control", Mr Ponta told the Associated Press news agency.

Having exhausted legal challenges available to him in Romania, Nastase's lawyers indicated he may appeal to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

Nastase is the most senior political figure to be convicted by a court in Romania since the fall of communism in 1989.

"This verdict is opening a new era for Romanian justice in which judges are no longer afraid of condemning powerful people," Laura Stefan, an anti-corruption expert for the think tank Expert Forum, told the AFP news agency.

The European Union has in recent years put pressure on Romania to crack down on corruption among public officials.
    "

BBC News - Romania ex-PM Adrian Nastase in suicide attempt

He missed...:bang:

Originally posted by Dante View Post
    Current Prime Minister Victor Ponta, described as an ally of Nastase, visited him in hospital after the incident.
    That's the one charged for plagiarism? No wonder they are buddies.

He missed...:bang:
    Suicide attempt is a cry for help, right?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      That's the one charged for plagiarism? No wonder they are buddies.
      Yes, that's the one, but it's much more than just buddies. Nastase was kind of a mentor for him.
      Something really strange is going on, PSD (Nastase's party) is at power now and they didn't have any motivation to let this conviction pass...

Suicide attempt is a cry for help, right?
      No, it's his moon-sized pride at work..this guys are like the lords of old, death over capture

Comment

Yes, that's the one, but it's much more than just buddies. Nastase was kind of a mentor for him.
        Something really strange is going on, PSD (Nastase's party) is at power now and they didn't have any motivation to let this conviction pass...
        Pressure from Brussels maybe?

Your sentence says it all. In our countries we find it strange when DA press charges against politicians, especially to those close to the ruling party.

No, it's his moon-sized pride at work..this guys are like the lords of old, death over capture
        So he only killed his pride? :Dancing-Banana:

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

In our countries we find it strange when DA press charges against politicians, especially to those close to the ruling party.
          The old guard had let him take the fall long ago.
          J'ai en marre.

Comment

Well he didn't missed,the police officer was fast and struggled his gun,but in the process the shot occured.

1.The trial was a farce.
            2.As a lawyer friend of mine explained(or at least he tried to:red: )the way the sentence was pronounced led him to the conclusion some ''benevolent'' friend gave a call or two.Given the accusation and the crime,over 95% of the accused in similar cases do not actually go to jail.
            3.Brussels may be involved,but given the characters there,I doubt they'll be in a hurry to eat one of their own.
            4.IMO it's the start for a cycle of vendettas.Until now there was MAD.Everyone had a nuke for everybody else.Now El Presidente has used one.There will be retaliation and it is likely that Il Capo himself might go to jail after his term is over in 2014.

Mafia Wars:pop:
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Romania ex-PM Adrian Nastase in suicide attempt

The incident occurred when police arrived at Nastase's house to take him to prison, local media reports say.

Hours earlier Romania's highest court had upheld a two-year prison sentence against Nastase on corruption charges.

Nastase, who held office between 2000 and 2004, was convicted for illegally amassing about 1.5m euros ($1.9m; £1.2m) for his 2004 election campaign
              See how tiny the amount is

wow, i wish this happened in my county.

He insisted that the charges were politically motivated.
              Oh well now that he is in hospital i guess those charges will have to wait until he is better.

I've noticed this trend in numerous countries where leaders somehow fall ill (shooting oneself is a first but it works) whenever there's any charges bright against them.

"This verdict is opening a new era for Romanian justice in which judges are no longer afraid of condemning powerful people," Laura Stefan, an anti-corruption expert for the think tank Expert Forum, told the AFP news agency.
              My compliments

Comment

''an anti-corruption expert for the think tank Expert Forum''

Buddy,when you see something along this line,stay away like it is plagued.Like I said,the trial was a farce,the evidence was suspect,the sentence was written in terms that may look good in a tabloid,but have nothing to do with jurisprudence.The man was guilty of hundreds of millions stolen and his government of tens of billions.Those that came after them were worse.Yet the idiots came with that rubbish.

To get an idea,Nastase was accused once of receiving a bribery and the prosecutors took a sum of money as evidence.All good and well,until the attorney noticed the money were printed 2 years after the alleged incident happened. This ain't a judicial system,it's POS
                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post

Buddy,when you see something along this line,stay away like it is plagued.Like I said,the trial was a farce,the evidence was suspect,the sentence was written in terms that may look good in a tabloid,but have nothing to do with jurisprudence.The man was guilty of hundreds of millions stolen and his government of tens of billions.Those that came after them were worse.Yet the idiots came with that rubbish.

To get an idea,Nastase was accused once of receiving a bribery and the prosecutors took a sum of money as evidence.All good and well,until the attorney noticed the money were printed 2 years after the alleged incident happened. This ain't a judicial system,it's POS
                  The charges and penalty might be light but it seams that this kind of folk cant even handle a mere 2 years behind bars.
                  J'ai en marre.

Comment

You are implying this case is just a white wash. To give the illusion that justice was served that too from your highest court. So it seems the judiciary is in bed with the executive.

For whose benefit ?

Creditors
                    Brussels
                    Romanians

Settling scores (!)

In one of my states i heard of an agreement, ruling party gets 75% and opposition gets remaining 25% of the graft. This way there is no bad feeling. Winner takes all is not good.

Wonderful setup isn't it

Obvious plant

This is the sort of thing that makes people lose confidence in the government completely.

What is the solution ? there ain't one. That is the truth.

let the bastards continue with their loot and only try them if they can be charged in a proper manner. In which case they will have to be very stupid to get caught. If that is the case then they were not smart enough to rob too much.

In my country, people get elated when a minister is in jail as an under-trial because bail was refused to safeguard against evidence tampering.

They say look he is in jail,
                    i say but he is yet to be charged,
                    they say that is still better than nothing.

But the case takes a long time and it isn't certain there will be a conviction. The clued up will realise this immediately but show must go on long enough so people think something is happening.

So Mihais, the plot is slightly different but the result is the same either way.

Nobody gets caught and nothing is returned back to the exchequer.
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jun 12,, 15:28.

Comment

Yes,the setup is slightly different.Our way is more spectacular.Police special forces jump on the accused and take him out cuffed.Usually this stuff is secret,so no journo ever hears about(not that they care or have the IQ to understand),but in ''some'' cases all the press is present.Great show for a few days.after a few days,usually there is something wrong with the evidences,so NUP(non-start of the prosecution).One of the more funny cases was when an ex-minister was accused of being bribed with sausages.Tasty stuff,you'll sell your soul to the devil for them,I tell you.Fortunately I never experienced any shortage.Then,there are the recordings.2 guys talking about the most mundane things,but the tone of the presenter is such that a mysterious and ominous thing is implied.

Now about AN.My guess,which is as good as any,is that El Presidente wants restore his image,which is next to zero these days.He's quite afraid,IMO,he'll be impeached,but the impeachment by the Parliament has to be confirmed by a referendum.He already survived a referendum in his first term,but then the idiotic masses still thought of him as a fighter against the system.His problem now is that everybody hates him.And yes,I hope everybody sends his opponents to jail,no matter the pretext.They'll eat themselves and we'll get rid of them.More expensive than just shooting them,but we're in no mood explaining ourselves to the anti-corruption expert,human rights activists and other good for nothings.

Your 75-25 system has merits.But we devised a way to keep most activists happy and keep it all in the same time.The upper and mid upper class of each faction remain usually the same.But at the lower level,a good deal of minor politicians just switch to winning side.And of course,everyone has friends and associates in all parties,so there's no problem.

Want a solution?Destroy the state,aka the power of bureucracy.Make it a direct democracy a la Switzerland or Porto Allegre in Brazil.Yeah,there will be a few mistakes in the beginning,but they're corrected faster with referendums.The whole thing will be slower,but in the long run you win by having a fair law,that is at least thought about by a lot of people,especially those that have to obey it.
                      Last edited by Mihais; 21 Jun 12,, 16:23.

Comment

Mihais I am confused.

You don't have press during EVERY arrest? Slackers.

Comment

Buddy, when you see something along this line,stay away like it is plagued.
                          Am wondering why you said this.

Is there a problem with an anti-corruption expert or even anti-corruption activists ?

or that within your context the expert is the prop used to make it all look legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Am wondering why you said this.

Is there a problem with an anti-corruption expert or even anti-corruption activists ?

or within your context the expert is the prop used to make it all look legit.
                            You serious?

When I hear "expert" I am changing the channel of the TV, if you add anti-corruption, I am out of home with everything off

Around here "Expert" is a second name for political mercs. Usually, these are people leaning to one side of the political spectrum, ranting how the other side has no idea and are utter "Amateurs" ;)

My guess is it is not any different in Romania.

Comment

So the people billed as experts are not reputable. i've found this varies as s function of the program you watch. Some programs are better than others.

There is also the suggestion that these people are the opposition disguised as experts trying to pull the wool over your eyes about the other party.

Now if you hear the word anti-corruption do you think this is hyprocrisy? ie pot calling the kettle black.

In which case who else do you look up to as experts.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jun 12,, 17:08.

Comment

Working...
                              X