X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israeli saves Turk on Everest Mountain

Israeli saves Turk on Everest Mountain

Israeli saves Turk on Everest Mountain
    Nadav dreamt of being youngest Israeli to conquer world's highest peak. But his plans changed 300 meters from the summit, when he saw a Turkish climber lying unconscious on the ground – and decided to rescue him

Itamar Eichner
    Published: 05.23.12, 15:17 / Israel News

Only 300 meters were between Nadav Ben-Yehuda and the title of "the youngest Israeli mountain climber to conquer the Everest summit." But Ben-Yehuda didn't hesitate for a second when he saw a Turkish climber lying unconscious on the ground.

"If I had continued climbing, he would have died for certain. Other climbers just passed him by and didn’t lift a finger, but I had no second thoughts. I knew that I had to save him," said the 24-year-old law student from Rehovot.
    Rescue Operation

Ben-Yehuda's dream has always been to conquer the Everest summit. Being a professional mountain climber, he has already scaled many mountaintops around the world. Just two months ago, before leaving for Nepal, Ben-Yehuda broke an Israeli record in stair climbing when he ascended 76 floors in the Moshe Aviv tower in Ramat Gan, 13 times consecutively.

Ben-Yehuda arrived in Nepal on March 19 and shed 18 kilograms from his weight while preparing to climb the world-famous peak.

But this climbing season, Mother Nature was unkind, causing massive snow storms and avalanches that claimed the lives of at least six people so far. Rescue helicopters that were called to evacuate stranded climbers only made the situation worse by creating wind turbulences that caused more snow avalanches.

Politics don't matter (Photo: Nitzan Arni, Nepal Embassy)

Ben-Yehuda was scheduled to start his journey to the summit last Friday, but decided to delay it by one day, due to the weather conditions and over-crowdedness at the base.

"I didn’t want to get stuck at these heights, so I decided to sleep at a base that is located at an altitude of 8,000 meters," he explained. "It was a difficult night. I slept in a sleeping bag inside a rickety tent set up in between rocks."

'I didn't think twice'
    The following day, Ben-Yehuda started the final stretch of his climb. "Throughout the route, I kept seeing bodies of dead climbers," he recalled. But Ben-Yehuda was focused on his goal, and knew that at the rate he was going he could reach the peak as early as sunrise.

Then, only 300 meters before reaching the coveted destination, Ben-Yehuda spotted Aydin Irmak, a Turkish climber whom he met at camp, sprawled unconscious on the icy ridge.

"People passed him by and didn’t do a thing. I didn’t think for a second about politics – the fact that he was Turkish and I was Israeli. I also didn’t think about the glory. All I though about is that I can save this person – and that’s what I did," Ben-Yehuda noted.

Everest peaks

The resourceful climber described the difficult journey down the mountain. "I attached him to my harness, and we started the descent. It was very hard to carry him because he was heavy. At times he would gain consciousness, but then faint again. When he woke up he would scream in pain, which made it even more difficult," he said, adding that it took 8 to 10 hours until they arrived at the closest base, located at an altitude of 7,900 meters.

However, the young mountain climber had one last hurdle to overcome on the way down when his oxygen mask broke. Shortly afterwards, Ben-Yehuda encountered another climber, from Malasia, who was also in his last breaths. At that moment he spotted a group of climbers who were making their way up the mountain. He shouted over to them, and asked that they give the two injured climbers some oxygen. By doing so, Ben-Yehuda also managed to save the Malaysian climber.

'Politics don't matter'
    After they reached the base, Ben-Yehuda and Irmak were evacuated by helicopter to Katmandu, where they were hospitalized. Ben-Yehuda suffered from severe frostbites in his fingers because he had to remove his gloves during the rescue operation.

"I hope the doctors don't have to amputate them, because I want to keep climbing," he said, adding that despite the heavy cost, he does not regret saving his Turkish friend.

"I faced a choice – to be the youngest Israeli to ascent the Everest summit, which would have been good for my career, or to take the climber off the mountain and save his life. I picked the second option. I managed to do so thanks to all the training I did, which gave me enough power to descend the mountain while carrying another person on top of me."

Expressing his gratitude, Irmak, 46, told Yedioth Ahronoth, "If Nadav wasn't there, I would have died on the mountain. It was a miracle.

"I remember falling down. I woke up with Nadav standing over me and shouting my name. Nadav did a great thing. He built a bridge between Turkey and Israel, and our leaders can learn a lot from him. Politics doesn’t matter much, what matters is human nature.

"I may have missed the summit, but I gained a new brother. Who knows, maybe one day we'll climb the Everest together," Irmak noted.

Meanwhile, in their living room in Rehovot, Nadav's parents – Yoram and Dorit – are bursting with pride. "He did the right thing, no doubt," said Yoram. "This is the education he received not only at home but also from his military service in Golani –a friend in need comes first."

Despite the hero's welcome that awaits him at home, Ben-Yehuda is upset about one thing –when people will ask him whether he reached the summit, he would have to say no.
    This man gave up his dream to save another man's life. People passed the unconscious man and left him to die, the Israeli stopped. The Israeli man may lose his fingers to frostbite because he had to take off his gloves to save the Turk, but that didn't bother him or stop him. On the way down he also led to another climber, a Malaysian, being saved. Malaysia's state religion is Islam.

How does this jive with what the left wingers and international media portray about Israel and Israelis? What does this say about people from other countries that were willing to leave the Turkish man there to die?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    How does this jive with what the left wingers and international media portray about Israel and Israelis? What does this say about people from other countries that were willing to leave the Turkish man there to die?[/B]
    I commend the young man for being able to save two lives but he had help from an upcoming team who also gave up their dreams.

There is one sad fact about Everest. You don't help no one. You do so at the risk of your own life and the sad unfortunate fact is that most people who help also die.

The young man was lucky that an upcoming team was able to help. Otherwise, he would have joined his two friends ... and those already resting on the path.

On this, I am going to say you are in the wrong, Ben. This young man is a man before he is an Israeli. He did not thump his Israeli citizenship on his chest and neither should you. We should appreciate a man saving another two men, not a Jew saving two Muslims.

Comment

Colonel, can you honestly tell me that if the situations were reversed, if it was a Palestinian saving an Israeli's life they would not immediately brand it as just that? What if it was a Palestinian laying there dying and the Israeli had abandoned him and word got out? Do you honestly think it would not be politicized?
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Colonel, can you honestly tell me that if the situations were reversed, if it was a Palestinian saving an Israeli's life they would not immediately brand it as just that? What if it was a Palestinian laying there dying and the Israeli had abandoned him and word got out? Do you honestly think it would not be politicized?
        1) Who would know?
        2) The sad fact is that your only real chance on Everest at life is to leave the dying there. The real rescuers was that upcoming team, not this young man.

Comment

The Turkish climber is actually Turkish-American. He emmigrated to US at 22 years old it seems.

OTOH this man is a true hero. I am also a mountaineer and I am honestly not sure if I would be able to show such courage. The lost summit attempt is nothing compared to the risk he took when he decided to carry him. 7 people died on everest just the past weekend.
          Last edited by TTL; 23 May 12,, 17:25.

Comment

Not enough info really. Most mountain climbers already have a "will' as part of their climbing preparations. On places like Everest the general plan is no rescue as the conditions are so extreme that any little extra has an associated cost. Some would say, "leave my body but if at all possible reach in to my "X" pocket and take a picture/trinket and give it to my significant other/family member" type of instructions.

You can't really fault others for not stopping and assisting. Up there your in the dead zone so if you are not dead you ARE dying and you are going to need all your energy to make the trip. Most other climbers at this altitude have been reduced to," take 10 breaths, take a step and try not to die" type of mode. No one takes something like Everest lightly and everyone knows the risks. On the final stages you have to pack light and that means things like a spare O2 bottle and a 15 pound first aid kit isn't going to make the trip. Even if you wanted to help often times you simply do not have the means.
            On the other hand politics doesn't play much of a part in the brotherhood of mountaineering. When you see some one in peril or struggling you know a human is close to death. The thing to remember is that you see human beings, not religion politics or nationalities. Ben chose a higher road and for that he should be commended. The other party that was there also deserves credit.

Ben has a long painful recovery as frostbite is an ugly process even if he does get to keep his fingers. There is one thing that bothers me about this story. It sounds as if Ben was going it all alone when all this happened. No mention of a climbing partner or party.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Ben,

You posted an account from an Israeli website trumpeting the heroic actions of an Israeli climber (who should be lauded) and then say if a Palestinian did the same thing then the Palestinian press would also trumpet those actions....and you are saying the Palestinians would be wrong to do so?

You don't see the absurdity of that argument?

2 further points....

It was not an Israeli saving a Palestinian...it was an Israeli saving a Turk. Big difference. Last time I checked Israel and Turkey enjoyed a military and commercial relationship which has been pretty robust. I would not say the feelings are warm and cordial but they are at least business like.

On the mountains, there is not nationality, only humanity.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Ben,

You posted an account from an Israeli website trumpeting the heroic actions of an Israeli climber (who should be lauded) and then say if a Palestinian did the same thing then the Palestinian press would also trumpet those actions....and you are saying the Palestinians would be wrong to do so?

You don't see the absurdity of that argument?
                AR, not just the Palestinian press, the world media as well. I may be a cynic for saying this, but I firmly believe most of the world media would be in lockstep portraying the Palestinian as a hero. I'm not assigning right or wrong, I'm just saying that it's a fact that the Palestinians would do it if the situations were reversed, beyond a shadow of a doubt, so there's no reason the Israelis shouldn't.*
                2 further points....

It was not an Israeli saving a Palestinian...it was an Israeli saving a Turk. Big difference. Last time I checked Israel and Turkey enjoyed a military and commercial relationship which has been pretty robust. I would not say the feelings are warm and cordial but they are at least business like.
                With regards to Turk Vs Palestinian, considering the amount of vitriol that has been coming out of Turkey from Erdogan's direction, especially following the Mavi Marmara incident, I wouldn't say that the two are equal, but there is still value in an Israeli saving a man of Turkish nationality at a time when it seems Turkey is doing plenty to aid and assist our enemies, whether overtly or covertly

On the mountains, there is not nationality, only humanity.
                This may be true, but that doesn't mean the odd act of humanity that also has nationality issues shouldn't be lauded, especially given the apparent lack of humanity up on the mountains

Comment

Ben,

Was the Israeli aware he is saving a Turk?
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

especially given the apparent lack of humanity up on the mountains
                    Thats rather harsh BR and also not correct. Reality better fits the bill in the upper reaches of Everest. But again the story is a bit thin on details. The odds are that if it happened more than a couple hundred yards from a camp and no further assistance given, Ben would have ran out of energy and oxygen and died along with the man he was trying to save.

Comment

Ben,

You are driving an agenda whether you want to admit it or not. You are either missing the point or purposely ignoring it.

Unlike you this young man saw another human being in trouble and did the right thing...he didn't care about nationality or anything else. He didn't care about Hamas, or Erdogan or Netanyahu.

That is the story.

Nothing more.

Oh and if you read Outside magazine and other sources they were partners....so he followed the code of the mountain. How do I know? Because for 5 years I worked mountain rescue in West Virginia. Not as dramatic but when you carry peo
                      Last edited by Albany Rifles; 25 May 12,, 01:23.
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

The death zone is a bit of a myth. It's a matter of choice, not necessity. It's perfectly possible to put 150 people on or near the summit on one day. Leaving climbers to die because it interfers with your own summit attempt is a matter of choice amongst the climbers, not the necessity of the mountain.
                        It's not difficult to set up oxygen stations and shelters and to establish codes of conduct where you are forced to retire if you are holding others up and you are required to abandon your own attempt to assist those others in difficulty.

Nadav, unusually for his peers, choose to his credit to assist.
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

This man gave up his dream to save another man's life. People passed the unconscious man and left him to die, the Israeli stopped. The Israeli man may lose his fingers to frostbite because he had to take off his gloves to save the Turk, but that didn't bother him or stop him. On the way down he also led to another climber, a Malaysian, being saved. Malaysia's state religion is Islam.
                          First, some correction. Turns out Nadav wasn't alone, so some congratulation should go to the unnamned Sherpa who also helped (I'm guessing Sherpas are used to saving lives without much fanfare).

What does this say about people from other countries that were willing to leave the Turkish man there to die?
                          We don't know what the people ahead of him saw or thought they saw. They had already passed two dead bodies. Seeing someone 'sprawled lifelessly' in the snow they might just have assumed this was a third.

Israeli Everest climber... JPost - Features - Insights & Features

That said, this young man should indeed be congratulated for helping to save two lives - clearly a fine human being. it is fortunate that hte stopped to check the Turkish-American man he recognised. His family should be very proud and his actions are indeed worthy of publicity. It is just a pity that some people see the need to use them as crude propaganda.

How does this jive with what the left wingers and international media portray about Israel and Israelis?
                          ....and if Muslims were the slavering anti-semitic beasts the Israeli right would have us believe these men would surely have tried to kill the jew in their midst or at the very least preferred death to accepting his assistance...right?

See, stupid commentary is a game we can all play.

This young man is a hero, this thread is an heroically bad way to celebrate his achievement. Very sad indeed.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            Ben,

You are driving an agenda whether you want to admit it or not. You are either missing the point or purposely ignoring it.

Unlike you this young man saw another human being in trouble and did the right thing...he didn't care about nationality or anything else. He didn't care about Hamas, or Erdogan or Netanyahu.

That is the story.

Nothing more.

Oh and if you read Outside magazine and other sources they were partners....so he followed the code of the mountain. How do I know? Because for 5 years I worked mountain rescue in West Virginia. Not as dramatic but when you carry peo
                            Mountains in WV? Those are foothills.
                            But anyway at least you can imagine the difficulty of carrying/dragging another in such conditions. I worked with Lane county and Eugene Mountain Rescue in my college days.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                              The death zone is a bit of a myth. It's a matter of choice, not necessity. It's perfectly possible to put 150 people on or near the summit on one day. Leaving climbers to die because it interfers with your own summit attempt is a matter of choice amongst the climbers, not the necessity of the mountain.
                              It's not difficult to set up oxygen stations and shelters and to establish codes of conduct where you are forced to retire if you are holding others up and you are required to abandon your own attempt to assist those others in difficulty.

Nadav, unusually for his peers, choose to his credit to assist.

NOVA | Transcripts | Everest: The Death Zone | PBS

The death zone is no myth at all. Countless others have died from acute mountain sickness, HAPE and HACE at much lower elevations than Everest. Having oxygen does not bring you back anywhere near sea level but only like your a few thousand feet lower. The effects of low oxygen to the brain can make a rhodes scholar think like a 7 year old and that in itself is where many accidents happen as people at altitude are no where near they are at sea level as far as mental capacity. Wounds do not heal at that elevation. If you take a person from sea level and shuttle him to the summit of everest he would be dead in minutes. In short your not the same person at the summit as you are at sea level. The number of people at or near the summit is not constant. Sometimes there are a lot and sometimes just a handful.

Pari,
                              On Everest you either continue up, make your way back to base camp or lay down to die. The only "shelters" are at the high camps and if you are close to the summit camp is hours away. There is a good reason that for every six summits there is a death. Its hard to live in the death zone hence the term. Climbers already have "codes of conduct" and they take on a lot of personal responsibility. If you want a nanny climb that has an escalator, hand rails, seat belts, and success is 100% and chance of death near zero go to Disneyland. Everest is not for you. At Everest you are taking a risk at anything above base camp.

Comment

Working...
                              X