Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bout a six pack of Scotch Whisky? In tins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bout a six pack of Scotch Whisky? In tins!

Sounds kinda vile to me.

World News: Scotch lovers to be offered their whisky in a can for $5 - thestar.com

Scotch lovers to be offered their whisky in a can for $5
    Published On Mon Jan 09 2012Email Print (5)

It may soon be possible to quaff a dram of Scotch from a can.
    HANDOUT PHOTO
    Lesley Ciarula Taylor
    Staff Reporter

Consumers who’d always wanted a two-four of whisky may be able to get their hands on a can soon, Scottish Spirits USA says.

Canada’s omnipotent liquor controls boards are “one of the things that we’re working on,” National Sales Director Bart Schroeder told the Star on Monday.

“It will be available very soon.”

The year-long delay? “Distribution stuff in the United States and Canada.”

Samples? “It’s not sold anywhere yet.”

In the meantime, the year-old Florida company with a Grand Cayman parent organization has been perfecting the “consumer request” of a resealable top on the cans.

Scottish Spirits intends to sell the $5 tins of 350 millilitre, three-year-old single grain Scotch, distilled and aged in Scotland, in six packs at first, although cases of 24 was the original plan.

“Personally, I’m a little leery of it,” said Matt Franck of Toronto’s Scotchblog.ca. “Aluminum is traditionally a reactive material. Who knows how long it will have been in the can?”

The highly regulated Scotch whisky industry, governed by U.K. law, clearly spells out what constitutes Scotch but offers not a word about what you can sell it in.

British Scotch blogger Oliver Klimek asked the Scotch Whisky Association to investigate Scottish Spirits last January, when the dram-in-a-can idea was announced.

The SWA replied, “The label appears to breach the presentation and labelling regulations. We are examining the matter further.”

There is no evidence, the SWA said in 2010, of a distilling plant in Scotland.

“I can’t find anybody who is standing up and saying they’re making it,” Franck said.

“I don’t know anyone who’s ever seen it.”

The company’s bottled Scotch, pictured on the website is described as a “concept” of packaging, not a real product. It’s a top seller in the Grand Caymans, the company said.

The company describes its bottled Scotch as an “exceptional blend of the finest malt and grain scotch whiskies.”

Scotch in a can fails on three counts: Quality, origin and social responsibility, said Franck.

“I’m distinctly unnerved by something that’s 40 per cent (alcohol) wandering around in a can. I can just see someone saying, ‘Oh, I might as well finish it off.’”

The company opened a $25 million bottling and canning plant in Orlando last May with a first-year production capacity of 2 million cases.

Scottish Spirits Ltd., which maintains an office in Glasgow, also announced a scheme to sell $50,000 licence franchises around the world to help “budget whisky producers save import and excise taxes.”

The money from that would help finance the Orlando plant.

“Our main markets are China Mainland, Latin America, Caribbean Islands, USA, Brazil, Africa and Russia,” the company said.

Scottish Spirits Ltd. calls itself the leading whisky exporter in the U.K., exporting its whiskies around the world since 1896.

It may soon be possible to quaff a dram of Scotch from a can.
    What kind on low life mongrel would quaff Scotch?

Comment

Of all the flavors of scotch I love, tin and aluminum is not either of them.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by rickshaw92 View Post
        What kind on low life mongrel would quaff Scotch?
        The kind who would drink scotch out of a can.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I will be curious to look at it - but I won't buy it. It sounds pretty vile - 3 yo whisky in a ~12 oz can? Sounds like a nasty bender in each can. At that price - I bet it tastes like well used dishwater spiked with lighter fluid.

I expect hard liquer to have a reclosable top - even the tiny 25 ml airplane bottles have a screw on top. This seems irresponsible - I wonder how the courts would treat someone who bought a 12 oz can of scotch and then got in trouble for drunken driving?
          Last edited by USSWisconsin; 10 Jan 12,, 06:39.
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

3 year old scotch? I blame the Asians. They're the ones who took up all the cheap blends as a status symbol. Johnny Walker Red going for $55 a shot in Tokyo? So, it doesn't surprise me that someone wants cheap scotch to show he's a scotch drinker.

Comment

Cutty Sark, J&B or VO spit spit spit. No self respecting beer drinker would ever drink such slop.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Ah, quit yer whining.

You'll probably hate it but as soon as it hits the market, you're all going to buy a can...just out of the curiosity factor.

I expect nothing less from a board full of alcoholics. :)

Comment

It is also single grain whisky and the aging just fullfills the minimum requirement. When talking about single grains, I have tasted only one (very) good whisky of that kind: Carsebridge 30 yo. Been told that there are a few other good ones in the >20 yo group of single grains. All the others... not worth it. The rest of the single grains I have given a chance have been in the range abysmal...could drink if I really, really needed to get drunk and nothing else were available. But well, I do not drink to get drunk so..

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  3 year old scotch? I blame the Asians. They're the ones who took up all the cheap blends as a status symbol. Johnny Walker Red going for $55 a shot in Tokyo? So, it doesn't surprise me that someone wants cheap scotch to show he's a scotch drinker.
                  Last edited by mustavaris; 10 Jan 12,, 09:13.

Comment

$55 for a shot of Johnny Walker Red?! For shame...

On a side note, I recently acquired a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black. Any opinions?
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post

On a side note, I recently acquired a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black. Any opinions?
                      Double black? Wouldn't buy it as it is clearly a lack of imagination in their marketing department ;)

From what I have seen in Free shops, there is no age claimed, so it can be 12 just like the Single Black, but it can be 3 or 24 as well.

IIRC it was claimed to have peatier malts and malts aged in charred oak barrels. Over and out.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

IMHO; one of the better JWs. But you are talking to someone who likes the Islay single malts the most. If you want something easy, nice and smooth.. that´s not exactly like that.

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post

Comment

From what I understand, the Double Black is based on Black Label, so it should be at least 12 years old. I've tasted every other Johnny Walker available out there today aside from the Swing, so I wanted to get a bottle anyway
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

DOUBLE BLACK: DEEP CHARRED INTENSITY
                            Naturally smoky and extraordinarily rich, limited edition Double Black is the bold, brash relative of classic Johnnie Walker Black Label. Well-suited to our most discerning - and daring - of enthusiasts.

On a side note... It is Johnnie, not Johnny
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                              Double black? Wouldn't buy it as it is clearly a lack of imagination in their marketing department ;)

From what I have seen in Free shops, there is no age claimed, so it can be 12 just like the Single Black, but it can be 3 or 24 as well.

IIRC it was claimed to have peatier malts and malts aged in charred oak barrels. Over and out.
                              Is the Scotch actually black? I had some like that a while ago (not JW) - some people said it was carmel colored - but it tasted fine - perhaps sweeter than most scotch - but Orkiney Island Scotch is sort of sweet too.
                              Last edited by USSWisconsin; 10 Jan 12,, 11:23.
                              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                              X