PDA

View Full Version : How bout a six pack of Scotch Whisky? In tins!

Pedicabby
10 Jan 12,, 06:11
Sounds kinda vile to me.

World News: Scotch lovers to be offered their whisky in a can for $5 - thestar.com (http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1112848--scotch-lovers-to-be-offered-their-whisky-in-a-can-for-5)

Scotch lovers to be offered their whisky in a can for $5
Published On Mon Jan 09 2012Email Print (5)

It may soon be possible to quaff a dram of Scotch from a can.
HANDOUT PHOTO
Lesley Ciarula Taylor
Staff Reporter

Consumers who’d always wanted a two-four of whisky may be able to get their hands on a can soon, Scottish Spirits USA says.

Canada’s omnipotent liquor controls boards are “one of the things that we’re working on,” National Sales Director Bart Schroeder told the Star on Monday.

“It will be available very soon.”

The year-long delay? “Distribution stuff in the United States and Canada.”

Samples? “It’s not sold anywhere yet.”

In the meantime, the year-old Florida company with a Grand Cayman parent organization has been perfecting the “consumer request” of a resealable top on the cans.

Scottish Spirits intends to sell the $5 tins of 350 millilitre, three-year-old single grain Scotch, distilled and aged in Scotland, in six packs at first, although cases of 24 was the original plan.

“Personally, I’m a little leery of it,” said Matt Franck of Toronto’s Scotchblog.ca. “Aluminum is traditionally a reactive material. Who knows how long it will have been in the can?”

The highly regulated Scotch whisky industry, governed by U.K. law, clearly spells out what constitutes Scotch but offers not a word about what you can sell it in.

British Scotch blogger Oliver Klimek asked the Scotch Whisky Association to investigate Scottish Spirits last January, when the dram-in-a-can idea was announced.

The SWA replied, “The label appears to breach the presentation and labelling regulations. We are examining the matter further.”

There is no evidence, the SWA said in 2010, of a distilling plant in Scotland.

“I can’t find anybody who is standing up and saying they’re making it,” Franck said.

“I don’t know anyone who’s ever seen it.”

The company’s bottled Scotch, pictured on the website is described as a “concept” of packaging, not a real product. It’s a top seller in the Grand Caymans, the company said.

The company describes its bottled Scotch as an “exceptional blend of the finest malt and grain scotch whiskies.”

Scotch in a can fails on three counts: Quality, origin and social responsibility, said Franck.

“I’m distinctly unnerved by something that’s 40 per cent (alcohol) wandering around in a can. I can just see someone saying, ‘Oh, I might as well finish it off.’”

The company opened a $25 million bottling and canning plant in Orlando last May with a first-year production capacity of 2 million cases.

Scottish Spirits Ltd., which maintains an office in Glasgow, also announced a scheme to sell $50,000 licence franchises around the world to help “budget whisky producers save import and excise taxes.”

The money from that would help finance the Orlando plant.

“Our main markets are China Mainland, Latin America, Caribbean Islands, USA, Brazil, Africa and Russia,” the company said.

Scottish Spirits Ltd. calls itself the leading whisky exporter in the U.K., exporting its whiskies around the world since 1896.

Pedicabby
10 Jan 12,, 06:12
It may soon be possible to quaff a dram of Scotch from a can.

What kind on low life mongrel would quaff Scotch?

bonehead
10 Jan 12,, 06:25
Of all the flavors of scotch I love, tin and aluminum is not either of them.

bonehead
10 Jan 12,, 06:26
What kind on low life mongrel would quaff Scotch?

The kind who would drink scotch out of a can.

USSWisconsin
10 Jan 12,, 06:27
I will be curious to look at it - but I won't buy it. It sounds pretty vile - 3 yo whisky in a ~12 oz can? Sounds like a nasty bender in each can. At that price - I bet it tastes like well used dishwater spiked with lighter fluid.

I expect hard liquer to have a reclosable top - even the tiny 25 ml airplane bottles have a screw on top. This seems irresponsible - I wonder how the courts would treat someone who bought a 12 oz can of scotch and then got in trouble for drunken driving?

Officer of Engineers
10 Jan 12,, 06:35
3 year old scotch? I blame the Asians. They're the ones who took up all the cheap blends as a status symbol. Johnny Walker Red going for $55 a shot in Tokyo? So, it doesn't surprise me that someone wants cheap scotch to show he's a scotch drinker.

Dreadnought
10 Jan 12,, 07:44
Cutty Sark, J&B or VO spit spit spit. No self respecting beer drinker would ever drink such slop.:biggrin:

YellowFever
10 Jan 12,, 07:46
Ah, quit yer whining.

You'll probably hate it but as soon as it hits the market, you're all going to buy a can...just out of the curiosity factor.

I expect nothing less from a board full of alcoholics. :)

mustavaris
10 Jan 12,, 09:08
It is also single grain whisky and the aging just fullfills the minimum requirement. When talking about single grains, I have tasted only one (very) good whisky of that kind: Carsebridge 30 yo. Been told that there are a few other good ones in the >20 yo group of single grains. All the others... not worth it. The rest of the single grains I have given a chance have been in the range abysmal...could drink if I really, really needed to get drunk and nothing else were available. But well, I do not drink to get drunk so..

3 year old scotch? I blame the Asians. They're the ones who took up all the cheap blends as a status symbol. Johnny Walker Red going for $55 a shot in Tokyo? So, it doesn't surprise me that someone wants cheap scotch to show he's a scotch drinker.

bigross86
10 Jan 12,, 09:39
$55 for a shot of Johnny Walker Red?! For shame...

On a side note, I recently acquired a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black. Any opinions?

Doktor
10 Jan 12,, 09:49

On a side note, I recently acquired a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black. Any opinions?

Double black? Wouldn't buy it as it is clearly a lack of imagination in their marketing department ;)

From what I have seen in Free shops, there is no age claimed, so it can be 12 just like the Single Black, but it can be 3 or 24 as well.

IIRC it was claimed to have peatier malts and malts aged in charred oak barrels. Over and out.

mustavaris
10 Jan 12,, 09:49
IMHO; one of the better JWs. But you are talking to someone who likes the Islay single malts the most. If you want something easy, nice and smooth.. that´s not exactly like that.

bigross86
10 Jan 12,, 10:14
From what I understand, the Double Black is based on Black Label, so it should be at least 12 years old. I've tasted every other Johnny Walker available out there today aside from the Swing, so I wanted to get a bottle anyway

Doktor
10 Jan 12,, 10:48
DOUBLE BLACK: (http://www.johnniewalker.com/en-us/blends/) DEEP CHARRED INTENSITY
Naturally smoky and extraordinarily rich, limited edition Double Black is the bold, brash relative of classic Johnnie Walker Black Label. Well-suited to our most discerning - and daring - of enthusiasts.

On a side note... It is Johnnie, not Johnny :tongue:

USSWisconsin
10 Jan 12,, 11:19
Double black? Wouldn't buy it as it is clearly a lack of imagination in their marketing department ;)

From what I have seen in Free shops, there is no age claimed, so it can be 12 just like the Single Black, but it can be 3 or 24 as well.

IIRC it was claimed to have peatier malts and malts aged in charred oak barrels. Over and out.

Is the Scotch actually black? I had some like that a while ago (not JW) - some people said it was carmel colored - but it tasted fine - perhaps sweeter than most scotch - but Orkiney Island Scotch is sort of sweet too.

Doktor
10 Jan 12,, 11:38
Is the Scotch actually black? I had some like that a while ago (not JW) - some people said it was carmel colored - but it tasted fine - perhaps sweeter than most scotch - but Orkiney Island Scotch is sort of sweet too.

The way I understand it, the color shoud be from the casks or barrels used to age the drink.

mustavaris
10 Jan 12,, 16:36
No, the darkest natural colours are deep golden brown with a tint of red. And like Doktor wrote, the colour is from the cask [more precisely cask´s wood, possible charring and what has been stored in it before. Freshly distilled whisky is almost like vodka].

#¤%#¤% colouring!

tankie
10 Jan 12,, 16:43
:bang: jeez warra bunch of nit pickers , pick pick pick , this is best , thats best , bollox,, gizz it here :tankie::tankie: ;)

tankie
10 Jan 12,, 16:44
The way I understand it, the color shoud be from the casks or barrels used to age the drink.

I believe they are used oak sherry casks to add colour .

YellowFever
10 Jan 12,, 16:54
:bang: jeez warra bunch of nit pickers , pick pick pick , this is best , thats best , bollox,, gizz it here :tankie::tankie: ;)

That's right tankie, old buddy, these scotch nazis are giving us normal, decent scotch drinkers a bad name. :mad:

Who cares if it's in an oak barrel or a milk carton with a little straw to poke through.

Who cares if the color is a dark golden brown or the color of vodka.

All I know is that if I look cool drinking it, it's all good.

Buncha booze elitists. :mad:

mustavaris
10 Jan 12,, 16:55
Sherry, madeira, wine, calvados... anything goes. The most commonly used for scotch are old sherry and bourbon casks though. The taste is the most important factor, the colour just extra.

I believe they are used oak sherry casks to add colour .

mustavaris
10 Jan 12,, 16:56
Happy & proud one!

Doktor
10 Jan 12,, 17:05
No, the darkest natural colours are deep golden brown with a tint of red. And like Doktor wrote, the colour is from the cask [more precisely cask´s wood, possible charring and what has been stored in it before. Freshly distilled whisky is almost like vodka].

#¤%#¤% colouring!

You are right, I wasn't precise, but I meant the wood ;) Usually it is a cask that had cherry in it.

Americans use new barrels, but still get the color right, what do they add coloring agents?

tim52
10 Jan 12,, 20:06
I expect nothing less from a board full of alcoholics. :)

I objecth !!!! yoth sir are no lady……………………….uurrpt. :tongue:

Dreadnought
10 Jan 12,, 20:34

The smallest bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label cost $55 dollars. Thats about four to seven airline bottles full. Tasted it once recently and not a full shot. Not enough OOOOOOOO's in smooooothe to describe it but I'm still a Scotch hater.

bigross86
10 Jan 12,, 20:58
Blue Label is by far one of the best whisky's I've ever had the pleasure to drink, very few single malts can even come close to comparison with Blue Label

mustavaris
10 Jan 12,, 22:18
Yes.. the Blue Label is smooth... very smooth. And that is also one of the key weaknesses of that stuff. Not really worth the money IMHO, lacks the character. If I want smooth and easy whisky, Highland Park 18 yo is much, much better option as it is dirt cheap when comparing to Blue Label and very close to being as good.

YellowFever
10 Jan 12,, 22:51
Personally, I prefer both Maccallan 18 and JW Green over the Blue.

And I am not lying but I'm reaching more and more for the Bird over anything else if I feel like a nice glass of booze when I'm chilling with a cigar.

mustavaris
10 Jan 12,, 22:59
Bird?

YellowFever
10 Jan 12,, 23:02
Famous Grouse.

USSWisconsin
10 Jan 12,, 23:02
Most blended scotches are below single malts in quality - but on the other end of the scale - high end blended malts can be the best there is, the "100 Malts" by Seagrams was an amazing dram. The premium JW's (blue, green, gold) are pretty amazing too. For my taste, I find a good 12 yo malt is plenty good, and plenty expensive.

The Bird and JW red are fine - if thats what there is and I want scotch. If "Teachers" or some rail scotch is offered - I will do without.

My favorite dram ever was a 30 yo Ardbeg - Bottled by Andrew Symmington - I ended up with two bottles (about a year apart) - out of the 150 that were made. They were expensive too.:eek:

The youngest scotch that I really enjoyed was about 8 yo, the "Sheep Dip" is a bit younger and is interesting. In general, young scotch is bold, old scotch is mellow. IMO, Three year old scotch isn't good to drink...its like cleaning fluid. Some scotch is just not worth aging - it didn't turn out right, that is what they bottle at 3 yo. Often blended with some better stuff to hide the taste.

mustavaris
10 Jan 12,, 23:03
Ah, yes... Black Grouse is drinkable:D

YellowFever
10 Jan 12,, 23:05
Most blended scotches are below single malts in quality - but on the other end of the scale - high end blended malts can be the best there is, the "100 Malts" by Seagrams was an amazing dram. The premium JW's (blue, green, gold) are pretty amazing too. For my taste, I find a good 12 yo malt is plenty good, and plenty expensive.

And to think someone actually wondered why we call you "Whiskey" around here..... :wors:

USSWisconsin
10 Jan 12,, 23:21
And to think someone actually wondered why we call you "Whiskey" around here..... :wors:

Thank you - I used to collect Scotch (and drink it prolificially) - these days a bottle lasts more than a year, but I still have my tasting notes, at the height of my collecting - I had about 60-80 bottles (most were single malts, but I kept a few blends too) that demonstrated I didn't know how to save any money... It was interesting to make single glass blends - trying to create the "perfect" dram - if a person was still able to think, the most expensive ones would be in the first glass consumed in an evening, then switching to younger and less expensive examples once the palate (and mind) were numb.

bigross86
11 Jan 12,, 00:09
That's usually how I do it. First 2 drinks are high quality, the rest are standard

Pedicabby
11 Jan 12,, 01:57
Who cares if it's in an oak barrel or a milk carton with a little straw to poke through.

Who cares if the color is a dark golden brown or the color of vodka.

All I know is that if I look cool drinking it, it's all good.

Would Sir like a tin of Special Brew for a chaser?

mustavaris
11 Jan 12,, 05:12
The last time I got drunk by drinking whisky was in 1996 or 1997... Oh wait, that was bourbon:D Those are rare occasions when I drink more than 2-3 drinks.

That's usually how I do it. First 2 drinks are high quality, the rest are standard

Never made single glass blends (sounds almost blasphemous, but it must been funny I guess), but we have our own blend aging in a small oak barrel.. going to taste it in the next summer. If that turns out to be a favourable experience, then more will follow.

Typically, a bottle lasts a couple of years after having been opened... but it might take a few years before I even open one. My collection is rather modest though, only Laphroaig is well represented. I think that the number is <30 now..

Thank you - I used to collect Scotch (and drink it prolificially) - these days a bottle lasts more than a year, but I still have my tasting notes, at the height of my collecting - I had about 60-80 bottles (most were single malts, but I kept a few blends too) that demonstrated I didn't know how to save any money... It was interesting to make single glass blends - trying to create the "perfect" dram - if a person was still able to think, the most expensive ones would be in the first glass consumed in an evening, then switching to younger and less expensive examples once the palate (and mind) were numb.

bigross86
11 Jan 12,, 09:35
My collection at the moment stands at 2: The Johnnie Walker Double Black and an Auchantoshan. At my folks place we've got a couple Balvenie's, a Glenlivet and a Glenfiddich, but living on my own and paying rent/tuition, by whiskey fund is extremely depleted at the moment

USSWisconsin
11 Jan 12,, 15:03
My collection at the moment stands at 2: The Johnnie Walker Double Black and an Auchantoshan. At my folks place we've got a couple Balvenie's, a Glenlivet and a Glenfiddich, but living on my own and paying rent/tuition, by whiskey fund is extremely depleted at the moment

If I were to pick two whiskies that spanned the entire range of scotch flavors - those would be good choices. The more bottles I had (back in the 90's), the fewer evenings I spent sober. When I was in college, my collection was similar to yours - but consisted of much cheaper selections.

The Highland Park and Scapa distilleries produce some unique flavors - I recommend them for something "different" in the scotch palate- they are closer to Auchantoshan than to Islay, but not much like either type. Honey and heather was mentioned in the tasting notes provided for the Scapa 12yo that I had, my own notes mentioned sweeter (not sweet) and floral. Of the two, Scapa would be my first pick - but Highland Park is usually easier to find and offers more varieties, however its flavor is not as distictive. That doesn't mean Highland Park isn't good, it is, just not as much Orkiney Island distictiveness.

Gun Grape
14 Jan 12,, 03:36
Well having it in a can will make it easier when you mix it with coke. Can of coke + a can of scotch.

Officer of Engineers
14 Jan 12,, 03:53
You really want to gag me to death, don't you.

Pedicabby
14 Jan 12,, 07:32
Well having it in a can will make it easier when you mix it with coke. Can of coke + a can of scotch.

That's really gross dude.

YellowFever
14 Jan 12,, 07:44
That's really gross dude.

Yummmmmmm................!

Julie
14 Jan 12,, 08:36
Ah, quit yer whining.

You'll probably hate it but as soon as it hits the market, you're all going to buy a can...just out of the curiosity factor.

I expect nothing less from a board full of alcoholics. :)Correct, and I can prove it.

The can of whiskey can not be resealed. That means the entire 12-ounce can will have to be drank in one sitting, or some thrown away (which we all know the latter isn't going to happen). ;) Therefore, if a 160-pound man who decided to drink an entire can in one hour, would find himself extremely intoxicated with an approximate .18 to .22 blood alcohol level, enough to cause motor impairment, loss of memory and blackout.

So yeah, every man here will be buying these cans of whiskey, no doubt about it. :)