Remembering the Victims in Norway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering the Victims in Norway

Our last thread on this topic ended poorly (mea culpa). Rather than trying to re-open those debates, I'd like to focus on the real issue here - the victims.

This photo in todays paper really struck me. So many young faces. So much to do. So much hope for the future. I was also affected by something Crooks said. These were not just my brothers & sisters in the human family, they were my ideological brethren. Like Crooks, I have been a member of the Labor Party at times. At 18, at university & full of enthusiasm, I joined the Labor Club - much like some of these young people. I didn't follow through, but others did. One of my former clubmates is now in parliament. Others became active elsewhere. We wanted to make a difference. Some of us have.

That is something something important worth remembering about these kids. They were already engaged & active members of their society. They were not the video game playing, ignorant, social media addicted cliches of adult fantasy & myth. These kids wanted to be a part of their nation's future. They wanted to be directly involved in Norway's democracy. Perhaps there was a future minister or even Prime Minister among them. Perhaps a member of a local council. Perhaps just someone prepared to get active about an issue of importance to them or their community. These kids didn't just want to spectate, they wanted to be involved. It was why they were targetted. It was why they were killed.

I hope others pick up the torch wrested from their young hands & work to create a Norway they could have been proud of.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bigfella; 01 Aug 11,, 11:15.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Bano Rashid & her family had fled Kurdistan for a better life in Norway. At 18 she was already paying back her new nation in spades. As an active member of the Labor youth movement she hoped to one day become an MP. Earlier that day she had been able to meet someone who was no doubt a hero to her - former PM Gro Harlem Brudtland. When it began to rain Rashid lent Ms Brudtland her boots. She was a young lady any nation would be proud of. A Lutheran priest & an Imam presided over her funeral in a gesture of unity.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      [ATTACH]25779[/ATTACH]

Our last thread on this topic ended poorly (mea culpa). Rather than trying to re-open those debates, I'd like to focus on the real issue here - the victims.

This photo in todays paper really struck me. So many young faces. So much to do. So much hope for the future. I was also affected by something Crooks said. These were not just my brothers & sisters in the human family, they were my ideological brethren. Like Crooks, I have been a member of the Labor Party at times. At 18, at university & full of enthusiasm, I joined the Labor Club - much like some of these young people. I dodn't follow through, but others did. One of my former clubmates is now in parliament. Others bacame active elsewhere. We wanted to make a difference. Some of us have.

That is something something important worth remembering about these kids. They were already engaged & active members of their society. They were not the video game playing ignorant social media addicted cliches of adult fantasy & myth. These kids wanted to be a part of their nation's future. They wanted to be directly involved in Norway's democracy. Perhaps there was a future minister or even Prime Minister among them. Perhaps a member of a local council. Perhaps just Someone prepared to get active about an issue of importance to them or their community. These kids didn't just want to spectate, they wanted to be involved. It was why they were targetted. It was why they were killed.

I hope others pick up the torch wrested from their young hands & work to create a Norway they could have been proud of.
      Amen. Regardless of politics, laws or culture, these were good kids finding their way in the world and taking a positive place in their land as they defined and refined their place in it. My sympathies to the families of the fallen, the world is a lesser place without them.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Well said, BF.

RIP to the victims and a speedy recovery to those affected by this tragedy.

Comment

RIP . sad , very sad .

Comment

terribly sad - RIP
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Rest in eternal peace all victims who departed so soon and so tragic.

Heartfelt condolences to families of victims, all those who were effected and entire great nation of Norway.

Comment

God bless the families and survivors. It would be just too cliche to "find a silver lining" at this early stage, but I want to remember that Breivik's deranged motives are being condemned across the whole spectrum of humanity, faiths and politics and nationalities included.

When it's time for talk of silver linings, I hope we can begin there. No ideological disagreement merits such horrific methods. Our reaffirmed commitment to dialogue will serve as an utter rejection of Breivik and the mercifully few, pathetically frightened little people like him.

On my grandmother's side, the Holmaas', we're from Bergen.

- Rob

Comment

Working...
                X