Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Defense Guns

I was wondering what guns would be good for home defense

.357 magnum revolver, and a short barrel 12 guage are the ones at the ready in my house.
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

My dad owns a .380 llama. I wish he would get a shotgun but he does not feel the need for it

Comment

If he is good with the .380 Llama, he will be just fine.
        Like Confed999 I too have had the .357/ 12 guage combo. A few years ago I added a couple of .40s to the mix. (less reloading than with the .357)

The bottom line is that a highly skilled and motivated defender with a smaller caliber weapon is far more dangerous (to the intruder) than a non skilled defender with a larger caliber weapon. If you want to defend your home, know the tactical strenths and weaknesses of your home. Find a weapon that is suitable for your home defence that you can be proficient with, and practice untill you can do it in your sleep. Make a plan/plans and follow them.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

well we have never fired the llama so I was thinking it would be better just to point the shotgun in the general direction of the intruder and fire. It takes less skill

Comment

Originally posted by EricTheRed
            well we have never fired the llama so I was thinking it would be better just to point the shotgun in the general direction of the intruder and fire. It takes less skill
            Depends on where you are. My next door neighbors on the left are ten feet away from my wall and they have a brand new little girl. I'd hate to be firing blind with something powerful.

I currently have my Steyr M9 9mm as my home defense piece. I plan on trading one or both of my 12 guages, which I don't use, in for a 16 guage and load that with something suitable for 20 ft range. Once I do that that will be my gatekeeper.

-dale
            Last edited by dalem; 30 May 05,, 06:43.

Comment

well my house is brick so I dont think buck shot can penetrate brick.

Comment

Any 9mm with a Glaser Safety slug will do. Those things will tear-apart guts like crazy with little mess. The safest bullet you can get, but also the most expensive ($10-15 per box of 12-15 rounds)
                Mossberg makes a .410 home defense shotgun, which does look pretty nice.
                http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm
                You won't need to go with a mucho-expensive gun unless you'll be using it elsewhere.

Comment

I use my Walther P38 with Federal Hydra-Shok 9mm bullets for home defense.
                  "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

12 gauge pump loaded with #4 buckshot, preferably shorter barrel, with a flashlight mounted. #4 won't penetrate like 00 buck in sheetrock, etc. Any handgun you are proficient with would be secondary, a pistol is just for fighting your way to a long gun. Plus, the sound of a pump shotgun racking will likely discourage most casual burglars...
                    Plan. Practice. Have a flashlight and cell phone handy. Don't use the weaponlight as a regular flashlight outdoors as the responding cops won't like you pointing it at them...

This is all assuming that you have the will to take another human life in defense of your own or anothers. If not, don't buy anything. Get a dog.
                    Rule 303

Comment

I was curios if you have a shot gun perhaps you can alternate shots between lethal and non lethal, Ive heard a good load of rock salt hurts like all hell and is enough to at least paralyze a perp for the brief interlude to get the live ammo round ready to rock. Alsowhat is anyone's opinion on the semiauto shotgun as opposed to the pump, at least for quicker reload.

Comment

Originally posted by EricTheRed
                        I was wondering what guns would be good for home defense
                        I have a Mossberg 590 also with #4 shot. In my opinion, you can't beat the shotgun for home defense. Besides not having to worry about colateral damage, you don't have to be a particularly good shot to use it effectively and you don't have to see you target clearly (a real plus since you'll probably have to use it at night). Finally, the sound of a pump gun action is absolutely unique and carries a ton of intimidation value.
                        The more I think about it, ol' Billy was right.
                        Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight.
                        - The Eagles

Comment

The only problem with shotguns are that they are generally large weapons, and if you have kids in the house they're more likely to find them since they're more difficult to hide than pistols.
                          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

well since I am the youngest person in my house I dont think that would be a problem

Comment

I'm with Beaugaste....but i use #2 shot instead of #4.

Still won't penetrate drywalls, but it does give better penetration in soft tissue.

I don't use the flashlight either...i have no intention of giving the other guy an aimpoint directly inline with my face. ;)

I use a Beretta 1201FP semi-auto for the role.

Last edited by Bill; 01 Jun 05,, 02:39.

Comment

Working...
                              X