X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helen Thomas on the attack!

Helen Thomas Rides White House Press Sec: 'Were we invited into Iraq?'
    Wed May 25 2005 17:16:06 ET

Wire Queen Helen Thomas today ripped into White House spokesman Scott McClellan over his claims the United States is in Afghanistan and Iraq -- by invitation.

Joined in progess...

Q The other day -- in fact, this week, you said that we, the United States, is in Afghanistan and Iraq by invitation. Would you like to correct that incredible distortion of American history --

MR. McCLELLAN: No, we are -- that's where we currently --

Q -- in view of your credibility is already mired? How can you say that?

MR. McCLELLAN: Helen, I think everyone in this room knows that you're taking that comment out of context. There are two democratically-elected governments in Iraq and --

Q Were we invited into Iraq?

MR. McCLELLAN: There are two democratically-elected governments now in Iraq and Afghanistan, and we are there at their invitation. They are sovereign governments, and we are there today --

Q You mean if they had asked us out, that we would have left?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, Helen, I'm talking about today. We are there at their invitation. They are sovereign governments -- Q I'm talking about today, too.

MR. McCLELLAN: -- and we are doing all we can to train and equip their security forces so that they can provide for their own security as they move forward on a free and democratic future. Q Did we invade those countries?

MR. McCLELLAN: Go ahead, Steve.

END

That's one ugly bag of a woman.

Comment

I heard the full exchange on Hugh Hewitt's show today. She sounded ridiculous as well as rude.

-dale

Comment

I like the spin in the story title. People say there's no liberal bias.
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

It's from March 2003, but OHMYGAWD, it's funny, and appropriate for the OP:
          Last edited by Bluesman; 15 Dec 06,, 18:14.

Comment

Helen Thomas didn't exactly throw softballs at Bill Clinton either. Here is Helen going after Clinton in 1998:

HELEN THOMAS, UPI: What do you say to people who have said that you have lost all the moral authority to lead this nation or to conduct foreign affairs?

And Here is Helen explaining why the press were far more interested in Monica than Clinton's recent trip to Russia:

JODY POWELL, Former Carter Press Secretary:We’ve all seen this before. There are times, Terry, when the White House press corps goes into a pout. And when it does, it basically refuses to cover anything other than whatever it is they think the President ought to be talking about, and the people ought to be listening. But this support, I think, at least in my mind, was the gravity of the situation, that the President was trying to deal with, and that the country, indeed, is trying to deal with, with regard to the former Soviet Union and Russia. And in that sense I thought it was particularly egregious to pretend that nothing of importance that we needed to know about that trip, basically other than Lewinsky.

TERENCE SMITH: Helen Thomas, is the White House press corps in a pout?

HELEN THOMAS, UPI: Absolutely not. The questions were very legitimate. You talk about the graveness of the crisis in Russia while it’s very grave for President Clinton. His political survival is on the line, and you can listen to the senators that you put on earlier today. I mean, it’s not a question that’s going to go away. It is a global village. They expected the question. He has not been questioned since his testimony. We have a President who is under a federal investigation. It is very critical.

Helen Thomas: "You cannot ignore the story."

Basically, Helen has been a pitbull the last 40+ years no matter who is in the White House.
            Last edited by Broken; 30 May 05,, 07:43.

Comment

And apparently, that 40+ years of experience has convinced her that Dubya is the worst President EVER. She has said exactly that.

Dude, give it UP, already. She's the queen beeatch of a screamingly-left whacko hostile media, and pointing out that she had heard of Clinton lying under oath is an awfully weak reed to tie your tired, trite line that the press corps is ever so fair to ALL miscreants-in-office.

You've convinced yourself that the media are equally nasty and brutish and fair in their hatred, and you will simply not face this fact:

YOU'RE WRONG. The MSM is biased to the left, and Helen Thomas is the Oldest of the Old Guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                And apparently, that 40+ years of experience has convinced her that Dubya is the worst President EVER. She has said exactly that.

Dude, give it UP, already. She's the queen beeatch of a screamingly-left whacko hostile media, and pointing out that she had heard of Clinton lying under oath is an awfully weak reed to tie your tired, trite line that the press corps is ever so fair to ALL miscreants-in-office.

You've convinced yourself that the media are equally nasty and brutish and fair in their hatred, and you will simply not face this fact:

YOU'RE WRONG. The MSM is biased to the left, and Helen Thomas is the Oldest of the Old Guard.
                So, Bluesman, Helen Thomas, an 80 year-old former journalist who most people have never even heard of, is your poster girl for the "liberal-biased media"?

In your search for proof of a "screamingly-left whacko hostile media" you seem to oblivious to the fact that the TV political punditry are dominated by Bob Novak, Fred Barnes, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Tony Blankley, Pat Buchanan, Bill O'Reilly and Brit Hume. All of whom bleat constantly about the leftist media. Evidently, the term media does not extend to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Broken
                  Bob Novak, Fred Barnes, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Tony Blankley, Pat Buchanan, Bill O'Reilly and Brit Hume.
                  What ones of those are reporters, and what ones are editorialists?
                  I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                  even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                  He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Yep. Totally insane.

It's NUTS to claim that the media isn't leftist. They themselves say they are. EVERY SINGLE TIME it's polled, the VAST majority (75% PLUS) classify themselves as liberal. Almost NObody in the MSM votes Republican.

You are not sane. You need some mental help. You are CRAZY if you've convinced yourself the media is fair and even-handed.

It is past arguing, fella. It is a FACT.

Is there something else you'd care to discuss? Something that is worth taking an opposing position on, something that one could plausibly argue? If so, I'm ready.

But this position of yours on this subject simply isn't worth my time, doc. I think you're just getting some perverse charge out of twisting my tail about it, so I'm not going to gratify you by playing that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                      Yep. Totally insane.

It's NUTS to claim that the media isn't leftist. They themselves say they are. EVERY SINGLE TIME it's polled, the VAST majority (75% PLUS) classify themselves as liberal. Almost NObody in the MSM votes Republican.
                      Didn't we just argue this point in the other thread? Reporters are mostly Democrats, Media ownership is mostly Republican. I posted the stats on the other thread, all except one of the big four media (owners of NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CNN) endorsed Bush verbally or with PAC money. The one exception Viacom, spiltt its PAC money between parties. Who sets the agenda, the workers or the boss? How about you, Bluesman, do you tell your commanding officer to take a hike?
                      You are not sane. You need some mental help. You are CRAZY if you've convinced yourself the media is fair and even-handed.

It is past arguing, fella. It is a FACT.
                      I gave you a list of the big media conservative political talking heads above: Bob Novak, Fred Barnes, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Tony Blankley, Pat Buchanan, Bill O'Reilly and Brit Hume. Who is on the liberal side? Colmes? Yet you call these same media outlets liberal? Obviously, you don't have an answer to this question except to call me "insane", since you didn't answer it in my last post.

So is that the best you can do? I present evidence backing my view, you respond with ad hominums?

Comment

I gave you a list of the big media conservative political talking heads above: Bob Novak, Fred Barnes, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Tony Blankley, Pat Buchanan, Bill O'Reilly and Brit Hume.
                        None of those I know are reporters. They comment on the news, they don't report it.
                        you respond with ad hominums?
                        Yeah, getting a little rough there. Attack the message not the messenger.

Comment

But the messnger's insane. That's not an attack, it's a diagnosis.

Comment

In case you're wondering, YES, I'm havin' a blast with this strip.

Comment

It's like a gold mine, without getting dirty...

Comment

Working...
                              X