Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China labor shortage, Russia pacific thoughts, & Iceland + others

"China in the grips of labor shortage"

A woman, who had hoisted a cardboard sign that read 1,600 yuan (about 20,000 yen, or $240) for a monthly starting salary, scratched out the figure and replaced it with 1,700 yuan.

"We cannot attract anybody unless we raise salaries higher than last year's levels," said the woman, who was trying to recruit workers for a spinning factory.

Xu Shulong, a 30-year-old at the recruitment section of a manufacturer of shopping bags, acknowledged that competition to hire factory workers is growing more fierce.

"We cannot afford to be picky about people's educational backgrounds or job experience," Xu said. "We'll take anybody, as long as they are aged between 18 and 40."

Xu lamented that only 30 of about 80 workers at the factory who returned to their home have come back to work so far after the New Year holiday.

Real reasons for Russia's Pacific fleet projections (although I am somewhat doubtful, but the writer presents very good arguments. I think its done for overall power projection in the Pacific for economic negotiation with other countries be it China, Japan or Vietnam, Philippines, etc...)

It seems the deployment of the Mistrals in the Pacific Fleet is not against Japan, but that the US in preparation for conflict could “leap-frog” the fortified South Kuriles into the undefended and uninhabited central Kuriles to invade the Sea of Okhotsk. To defend the Sea of Okhotsk as a safe haven for nuclear strategic submarines, the Russian military is deploying capabilities to reinforce the entire island chain.

The South Kurile visits by Medvedev and other top officials that have provoked the present diplomatic spat with Tokyo may have been mainly high-level inspections to see that vast federal infrastructural expenditures have not been all stolen, as often happens in Russia.
    iceland-parliament-votes-yes-on-icesave-repayment-bill (they will have another referendum after, because voters already collected enough signatures to have direct democracy override whatever the bribed politicians elect to do )

Hurdle for Stability Mechanism: Euro Proposal Could Face Constitutional Concerns in Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International
    (Germany is finding it harder and harder to rationalize doubling on aid to the bailout fund for Europe and the people begin to challenge decisions for pan-Euro stability's sake at their expense.)

Now, however, it looks as though Germany could become the stumbling block for the stability mechanism. A two-thirds parliamentary majority, after all, is far from certain.

Germany's Constitutional Court is also currently reviewing several constitutional complaints against the billions in aid for Greece and the establishment of the European stabilization fund. And the number of complaints could soon rise. Critics claim that by paying into a fund to bail out other European countries transforms Europe into a "transfer union" in violation of the Maastricht Treaty, which provided the basis for a secure common currency.
    P.S.
    EU bows to Spanish call to axe grain import duties — BlackSeaGrain - All information on agriculture and food industry
    Grain/Barley tariffs drooped[temporarily] due to price hikes in Europe (feedstock for meat production mainly)
    Syria dropping taxes on food to try to alleviate prices for it.

Controversial book on Poland during WW2. I think its a good thing books like this get published actually. Truth is painful but good to have.
    Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Parliament settles on tunnel for German motorway

I find projects like this somewhat odd. (krone is about 5.5 to the dollar so it would be about 6.9 billion for the tunnel)
    The problem I see is that current ferry service and shipping is preferable to the white elephant. My feeling maintenance on a shipping dock
    and a ship and the 35 minutes is cheaper than maintenance on the tunnel or bridge in addition to the interest costs on the loan.

Comment

Don't be silly. WHY in the world, would the US want to attack Russia, in the Pacific or in Europe? US and Russia going to war is nuclear holocaust, man.

Also. If US ever DID attack Russia on the Far East side, what help would the two Mistrals be? Neither would be a match for the US aircrat carriers, that is a fact.

What I think is, Russia wants to send a message to Japan: Kuriles are ours now, back off, deal with it, get used to it, period. The Mistrals would do that.

Comment

did you even read the linked blue where I said that I do not believe it and think its for power projection to gain better negotiating prowess during economic negotiations with Pacific nations? It makes more sense.

Comment

yeah, that aint happening
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X