Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Let my people go! Just sayin'!"

What if Moses had told Pharaoh, "Let my people go! Just sayin'!"

What's phrase or slang word annoys you? Just asking.

Scott Simon
    Simon Says

by Scott Simon
    It's Rude! It's Crude! It's Stupid! Just Sayin'

by Scott Simon

December 18, 2010
    Listen to the Story

Weekend Edition Saturday
    [2 min 58 sec]

* Add to Playlist
    * Download
    * Transcript
    December 18, 2010

This is the time of year when various authorities release lists of words, phrases and acronyms that have recently joined the English language: "BFF," "retweet," "unfriend" and "vuvuzela" made many current lists. I'm glad for all of them.

But there is one phrase that I hear most every day that I don't like at all: "I'm just saying."

Its origins are murky. Some people swear they heard it in an early Eddie Murphy routine. Others insist that it dates from Seinfeld episodes. In any case, the roots of the phrase seem to be sitcom, not Shakespeare — I'm just saying.

Each week, I get emails and messages that go something like, "You are witless, stupid and immoral, and I wouldn't let you near my tropical fish for fear you would contaminate them with your depravity. Just sayin'!"

Saying, "I'm just saying," puts a fire escape onto the end of a sentence. It lets you express a stern — even rude — opinion, but not really. You're just saying. It invites the listener to discount what we've just heard, even as we're reeling from it.

The Urban Dictionary website explains that the phrase makes it "possible to deliver a rude comment or burn and have it bounce off simply as an opinion disguised as an objective opinion, and who can argue with you over an opinion that you don't apparently support."

Imagine what the phrase might have done in earlier times.

What if Moses had told Pharaoh, "Let my people go! Just sayin'!"

What if Henny Youngman had said, "Take my wife — I'm just saying."

What if FDR had tried to rally Americans out of depression by decreeing, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. I'm just sayin'!"

Or if Churchill had tried to rouse Britain in 1940 by declaring, "We shall fight them on the beaches, in the air, in the hills, and we shall never surrender — I'm just saying."

What if Romeo had seen Juliet and gushed:

"See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand!
    O that I were a glove upon that hand,
    that I might touch that cheek! — just saying."

She might have run off with Tybalt.

I am glad that the English language gets enriched each year with new phrases. But "just saying" seems designed to let us express ourselves sharply, but without conviction. It's a way of being colorful without consequences — all lip and no heart. Did we really need a new phrase to help us be more snide, snarky and insincere?

What if Stevie Wonder had sung, "You are the sunshine of my life — just sayin'!" Some hit that would be.

It's Rude! It's Crude! It's Stupid! Just Sayin' : NPR
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

putting the word "like" in every sentence..sometimes several times.

Comment

Just like most things in life, it works if used properly and in small doses. It's when it gets massively overused that it loses it's effectiveness.
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
        putting the word "like" in every sentence..sometimes several times.
        Endemic to Liverpool.

Comment

"Like" (see Tareks post, 100% agree)
          "You know" used the the same frequency as "like".

And the word "Ginormous" in any sentence, ever.

Three markers of an inferior intellect AFAIC.

EDIT;

And by inferior, I mean inferior to my German Shepherds' intelligence.
          Last edited by Blue; 17 Feb 11,, 02:52.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
            "Like" (see Tareks post, 100% agree)
            "You know" used the the same frequency as "like".

And the word "Ginormous" in any sentence, ever.

Three markers of an inferior intellect AFAIC.

EDIT;

And by inferior, I mean inferior to my German Shepherds' intelligence.
            Your German Shepherd is probably gifted compared to some of the knuckleheads I find walking through the doors of my classroom. Imagine how many times a confused 10 year old can use the word "like" in a sentence and you will know why I drink.

Comment

Originally posted by HKDan View Post
              Your German Shepherd is probably gifted compared to some of the knuckleheads I find walking through the doors of my classroom. Imagine how many times a confused 10 year old can use the word "like" in a sentence and you will know why I drink.
              I feel your pain brother. I have fought men in combat, I have tracked down hardened criminals and brought them to justice and I have met Muay Thai warriors in the ring, but I would not trade any of that for what you must tolerate. I cannot imagine the frustration and completely understand why you must level yourself with the demon.

Comment

god, like you people have -totally- never lived in like, so-cal!
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  god, like you people have -totally- never lived in like, so-cal!
                  No, but i visited there once and i know what it sounds like.

Sadly, everyplace else sounds a lot like it today. Depending of course on the IQ of the subject, though I think it is becoming prevalent most everywhere.

Comment

"Sadly, everyplace else sounds a lot like it today."

World's smaller, man. Like, you know, ummm...beez dat way, bro.;) It's like the Pakistani kid who posted the youtube of their pilots rockin' to a Black-eyed Peas thingy.

Our fault. I once said we'd conquer the world with Elvis, Mickey Mouse, Madison Ave. and MTV...and we will. One insidiously stolen lil' mind at a time. All of them leveled to our playing field.:Dancing-Banana:
                    Last edited by S2; 18 Feb 11,, 06:20.
                    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                      "Sadly, everyplace else sounds a lot like it today."

World's smaller, man. Like, you know, ummm...beez dat way, bro.;) It's like the Pakistani kid who posted the youtube of their pilots rockin' to a Black-eyed Peas thingy.

Our fault. I once said we'd conquer the world with Elvis, Mickey Mouse, Madison Ave. and MTV...and we will. One insidious lil' mind stolen at a time. All of them leveled to our playing field.:Dancing-Banana:
                      Damn dude.. thats kind of prophetic and deep. too bad it seems to have validity.

Comment

Unfortunately it seems to be that Lady Gaga is too many people's weapon of choice
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

My best buddy and I were in an English class in High school - 1978 - And there was this girl who used "like" a bit too often.

"It was, like, when Becket returned from France, he, like, irritated the authorities, and they... um, like, killed him. Like."

We had a grand time counting her "likes" on our fingers. Teacher noticed and gave us an "F" on our essays for mocking the girl. Yes we were out of line, but even at 16 it was like listening to Freddy Krueger working over a chalk board.

Today, rather than correct bad language, it seems that kids are encouraged to "explore their lexicon" and any corrections would apparently inhibit their intellectual growth.

Comment

Be glad when you hear My bad from a teenager because that's as close to an apology as you're gonna get from most of them. Still I cringe when I hear it.
                            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                              Be glad when you hear My bad from a teenager because that's as close to an apology as you're gonna get from most of them. Still I cringe when I hear it.
                              It is what it is...
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X