Nk-sk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nk-sk

This is a thread dedicated to NK-SK relations, military, analysis, etc....
    I would be pleased if there would be minimal mention of China, as although many think so, China has a minimal impact on NK-SK relations

I would like to start with a simulation of a war between NK-SK (although it has a second to nil chance of starting)

If a war starts, NK would make huge gains, as NK artillery has the Seoul metropolitan area in its range (Seoul metropolitan area has more than 20 million people, or 40% of SK's popoulation as it's 50 million)
    NK also has many underground tunnels, etc... so it would have a huge advantage if war breaks out, although it will be temporarily stopped by the huge amounts of mines SK has planted in the DMZ

However, it will be again as fast pushed back as its military is heavily outdated. It still uses the T-34, which is dated as far as to WWII, and its cheif small guns are the AK-47, which compared against the Korean K-1 automatic and the K-2 semi-automatic, along with futuristic Daewoo K-11, is a piece of trash. Its most advanced tanks are the Po'okpung-ho, which is modelled after the T-72, which is a Cold-War-era tank. Compared to the Korean modern tanks of K-1 and K-2 (the K-2 is often regarded as one of the top tanks in the world) it is useless. Its nukes can be easily blocked by the interceptor missiles planted inside SK. The NK airforce is also heavily outdated, along with the navy. Not only that, but its suppy lines, communications could be easily destroyed, making a long military campaign such as the Korean War virtually impossible

Any opinions, input, or anything?

Mate, I'm glad to see you've jumped right into posting, why don't you head on over to the Member Introductions thread and introduce yourself. I'd also highly recommend reading the http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/mem...?daysprune=365
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

It all depends on who gets involved, if NK_SK fight each other alone, one scenario. If international forces engage - another.
      The use of nukes or WMD's would be another complication that may or not be part of it.

It is a very broad canvas - the duration and outcome depend on many factors.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by ProudKorean View Post
        I would like to start with a simulation of a war between NK-SK (although it has a second to nil chance of starting)

If a war starts, NK would make huge gains, as NK artillery has the Seoul metropolitan area in its range (Seoul metropolitan area has more than 20 million people, or 40% of SK's popoulation as it's 50 million)

If I were SK, I would just bribe the North to not think about it. As you said, they have your balls. I wonder where the sunshine policy is. Look at Taiwan, they literally bribed their way out and nobody is seriously talking about an invasion from the mainland nowadays.

Personally, I am so tired of the drama between the North K and the South K. The K people deserve better.

Comment

Originally posted by cdude View Post
          If I were SK, I would just bribe the North to not think about it. As you said, they have your balls. I wonder where the sunshine policy is. Look at Taiwan, they literally bribed their way out and nobody is seriously talking about an invasion from the mainland nowadays.

Personally, I am so tired of the drama between the North K and the South K. The K people deserve better.
          They have our balls, but we have their balls, spleen, and everything they have. The initial attack may be severe, but judging that NK wouldn't get international cooperation, along with their technology and economy, they will be killed.

Comment

They have our balls, but we have their balls, spleen, and everything they have. The initial attack may be severe, but judging that NK wouldn't get international cooperation, along with their technology and economy, they will be killed.
            What about their strong ally...China? Do you think that the Chinese President Hu Jintao holds the key to restraint?

Comment

This is a thread dedicated to NK-SK relations, military, analysis, etc....
              I would be pleased if there would be minimal mention of China, as although many think so, China has a minimal impact on NK-SK relations

NK also has many underground tunnels, etc... so it would have a huge advantage if war breaks out, although it will be temporarily stopped by the huge amounts of mines SK has planted in the DMZ

However, it will be again as fast pushed back as its military is heavily outdated. It still uses the T-34, which is dated as far as to WWII, and its cheif small guns are the AK-47, which compared against the Korean K-1 automatic and the K-2 semi-automatic, along with futuristic Daewoo K-11, is a piece of trash. Its most advanced tanks are the Po'okpung-ho, which is modelled after the T-72, which is a Cold-War-era tank. Compared to the Korean modern tanks of K-1 and K-2 (the K-2 is often regarded as one of the top tanks in the world) it is useless. Its nukes can be easily blocked by the interceptor missiles planted inside SK. The NK airforce is also heavily outdated, along with the navy. Not only that, but its suppy lines, communications could be easily destroyed, making a long military campaign such as the Korean War virtually impossible

This topic has been covered many times.
              I think the search function will be of much use to you.

However I feel it is important to point out that age alone does not make a weapon worthless. While pitting a T-34 against a K-1A1 is suicide, an AK-47 is still a very relevant weapon despite its age.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                What about their strong ally...China? Do you think that the Chinese President Hu Jintao holds the key to restraint?
                It depends on whether you define restraint as being "not starting a full scale war". China isn't going to risk starting a North Korean collapse for any smaller incident.

Comment

yeah, there were around one milion mines planted around Kursk , how many mines , do your people have ?
                  J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                    Before the current round of bombing by NK, South Koreans generally hold a favoritable view toward China.... not any more.
                    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Any scenario that does not take into account the Chinese 38th and 39th Group Armies are false from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Any scenario that does not take into account the Chinese 38th and 39th Group Armies are false from the start.
                        I thought the Chinese won't intervene unless the Americans are crossing the 3th parallel

Comment

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
                          I thought the Chinese won't intervene unless the Americans are crossing the 3th parallel
                          China is NK's benefactor but not its ally. The NK state has gone loony and China's support is designed to keep North Koreans south of the Yalu first and north of the Imjin second. If war does breakout China will likely let the war continue as long as the SK and US forces are bleeding, but as soon as the tide shifts the PLA will likely invade to secure China a set at the peace table. It is in China's interest to let the NK do as much damage as they can to two (possibly three) of the four imediate military rivals to China. The US, RoK, and Japan cannot afford a lengthy rebuilding process for various reasons so any losses are effective strength modifiers in the PLA's favor.

Long term a unified Korea with a non-emigrating/south emigrating population that is alienated from Japan, prosperous and buying Chinese goods with no US troops on its soil and a demilitarized North is the best possibly solution.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            China is NK's benefactor but not its ally. The NK state has gone loony and China's support is designed to keep North Koreans south of the Yalu first and north of the Imjin second. If war does breakout China will likely let the war continue as long as the SK and US forces are bleeding, but as soon as the tide shifts the PLA will likely invade to secure China a set at the peace table. It is in China's interest to let the NK do as much damage as they can to two (possibly three) of the four imediate military rivals to China. The US, RoK, and Japan cannot afford a lengthy rebuilding process for various reasons so any losses are effective strength modifiers in the PLA's favor.

Long term a unified Korea with a non-emigrating/south emigrating population that is alienated from Japan, prosperous and buying Chinese goods with no US troops on its soil and a demilitarized North is the best possibly solution.
                            What would be the best solution for the US?

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                              Before the current round of bombing by NK, South Koreans generally hold a favoritable view toward China.... not any more.
                              How long is that going to last? Lee didn't get very much for his current round of 'negotiations' either.

Comment

Working...
                              X