Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsweek....(shaking head in sadness)

Deadly Mistake
    Newsweek’s erroneous report and apology demonstrates journalistic cluelessness.

By Paul Marshall

The shakily sourced May 9 Newsweek report that interrogators had desecrated a Koran at Guantanamo Bay is likely to do more damage to the U.S. than the Abu Ghraib prison scandals. What is also deeply disturbing is that the journalists who put the report out seem somewhat clueless about this reality.

Since the story was published there has been outrage and mayhem in much of the Muslim world. Demonstrations erupted in Pakistan after Imran Khan, a former cricket player and now opposition political figure, read sections from the article at a press conference.

Riots broke out throughout Afghanistan, mobs attacked government and aid-organization offices, and 15 people have died so far. Anti-American demonstrations have taken took place from north Africa to Indonesia.

Sheikh Sayed Tantawi, the head of Al-Azhar in Cairo, the major center of Sunni learning, called the purported desecration “a great crime,” while Egypt’s mufti, Sheikh Ali Gomaa, called it “an unforgivable crime” and “aggression” on Islam’s “sacred values.” The Gulf Cooperation Council, a set of American allies, called for the “harshest punishment” so that “the dignity of Muslims” could be preserved. Officials in Gaza and Iran also waded in.

This weekend, Abdul Fatah Fayeq, the senior judicial figure in Afghanistan’s Badakhshan Province, read out a statement from 300 Muslim clerics stating that President Bush should hand the culprits over to an Islamic country for punishment or else “we will launch a jihad against America.”

Meanwhile, in the face of Pentagon denials, Newsweek has begun backtracking. Newsweek seemed to have had doubts about the report from the beginning, since they ran it not as a straight news story but as a squiblet in the “Periscope” section. Now, in the May 23 issue, editor Mark Whitaker admits that their sourcing was suspect and stated “we regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst.” In the same issue, Assistant Managing Editor Evan Thomas is more forthright, asking “How did NEWSWEEK get its facts wrong?”

Equally disturbing is the fact that Newsweek reporters seemed to have little idea how explosive such a story would be. While noting that, to Muslims, desecrating the Koran “is especially heinous,” Thomas looks for explanations, including “extremist agitators,” of why protest and rioting spread throughout the world, and maintains that it was at Imram Khan’s press conference that “the spark was apparently lit.” He confesses that after “so many gruesome reports of torture and abuse at Abu Ghraib and elsewhere, the vehemence of feeling around this case came as something of a surprise.”

What planet do these people live on that they are surprised by something so entirely predictable? Anybody with a little knowledge could have told them it was likely that people would die as a result of the article. Remember Salman Rushdie?

The spark was lit not by Imram Khan but by Newsweek itself on May 9 when apparently none of its reporters or editors was aware of the effect such a story would have. There seems to have been nobody there that knew that death is the penalty for desecrating a Koran in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Afghanistan, and elsewhere. Egypt is milder, there one would be sentenced to several years in prison under Article 161 of the penal code for “publicly insulting Islam,” or perhaps Article 98, “inciting sectarian strife”; similar patterns are followed in more moderate Muslim countries.

In Pakistan, Article 295-B of the penal code calls for life imprisonment for desecrating the Koran or any extract from it. Last September, mentally handicapped Shahbaz Masih was sentenced to 25 years imprisonment, convicted of tearing up some leaflets that contained verses from the Koran. In 2003, the same judge sentenced Ranjha Masih (no relation) to life in prison for allegedly throwing a stone at a Muslim signboard with a Koranic verse on it during a bishop's funeral procession. Dozens of other Pakistanis have met similar fates.

In all of these countries, the greatest danger is not from the courts, but from vigilantes and mobs. In Pakistan in 1997, Shantinagar, a Christian town of some 10,000 people, was burned to the ground after a man there was accused of tearing pages from a Koran. In the Netherlands last fall, the documentary producer Theo Van Gogh was butchered after he produced a documentary Submission featuring Koranic verses on women’s bodies.

Even if Newsweek publishes a full retraction, the damage is done. Much of the Muslim world will regard it merely as a cover-up and feel reconfirmed in the view that America is at war with Islam. It will undercut the U.S., including in Afghanistan and Iraq, far more than Abu Ghraib did. “We can understand torturing prisoners, no matter how repulsive” Newsweek quotes one Pakistani saying, “But insulting the Qur’an is like torturing all Muslims.”

It would be charitable to think that if Newsweek had known how explosive the story was it may have held off until it had more confirmation. If this is true, it is an indication that the media’s widespread failure to pay careful attention to the complexities of religion not only misleads us about domestic and international affairs but also gets people killed.

— Paul Marshall is senior fellow at Freedom House's Center for Religious Freedom and editor of the just released Radical Islam's Rules: the Worldwide Spread of Extreme Sharia Law.

May 12, 2005
    Afghan Riots Not Tied to Report on Quran Handling, General Says
    Army investigating allegations of mishandling at Guantanamo Bay facility

By Jacquelyn S. Porth
    Washington File Staff Writer

Washington – The chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff says a report from Afghanistan suggests that rioting in Jalalabad on May 11 was not necessarily connected to press reports that the Quran might have been desecrated in the presence of Muslim prisoners held in U.S. custody at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Air Force General Richard Myers told reporters at the Pentagon May 12 that he has been told that the Jalalabad, Afghanistan, rioting was related more to the ongoing political reconciliation process in Afghanistan than anything else.
    USINFO.STATE.GOV

Also, the "Koran flushing" story has been around before:

The Philadelphia Inquirer, Jan. 20, 2005:

Lawyers allege abuse of 12 at Guantanamo
    By Frank Davies
    Inquirer Washington Bureau

[SNIP]

Some detainees complained of religious humiliation, saying guards had defaced their copies of the Koran and, in one case, had thrown it in a toilet, said Kristine Huskey [an attorney in Washington, D.C.], who interviewed clients late last month. Others said that pills were hidden in their food and that people came to their cells claiming to be their attorneys, to gain information.

"All have been physically abused, and, however you define the term, the treatment of these men crossed the line," [attorney Tom] Wilner said. "There was torture, make no mistake about it." ...

Comment

All due respect to Gen. Myers, but I tend to believe the rioters when they say why they're out in the street.

It seems the NEWSWEEK fiction piece IS the reason.

Comment

There very well could have been protests already planned, but it doesn't take a genius to understand that the story contributed to the violence. It's not like the Jalalabad riot was the only one. Protests over the story have taken place worldwide. Google "Jalalabaad Riot", and you will see hundreds of stories, that all say the same thing- the riots and protests were sparked by the Newsweek story.

Broken- I don't know why you thought you had to crosspost this to two different threads, but anyway, it doesn't surprise me that you would come to Newsweek's defense- your political leanings are well displayed.

Regardless, the left leaning media has done it again, it their zeal to criticize the administration, they show once again that they have no real concern for the truth, or who actually gets hurt in the process. It's shameful, but a fact of life in these troubled times.
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

"“we regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst.”"

Yeah, you can stick your fucking appology where the sun never shines you traitorous fucking scumbags.

What's with you Broken? Newsweek itself is reporting that A) the story was FALSE, and B) that they DID in fact incite violence by printing it.

Are you stupid or something?

Comment

Originally posted by highsea
            There very well could have been protests already planned, but it doesn't take a genius to understand that the story contributed to the violence. It's not like the Jalalabad riot was the only one. Protests over the story have taken place worldwide. Google "Jalalabaad Riot", and you will see hundreds of stories, that all say the same thing- the riots and protests were sparked by the Newsweek story.
            I think Meyers is partly right and partly wrong. Protests in Kabul have been on the upswing. On the otherhand, desecration of the Koran carries the death sentence in some Muslim countries. For example, Pakistan has a blasphemy law:

In 1986 the penal code was amended by the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1986, which added the blasphemy law under section 295-C to the Pakistan Penal Code. It provided the death penalty or life imprisonment for the criminal offence of defiling the name of the Prophet Mohammad.LINK

In fact, the first to protest the "Koran Desecration" was the Pakistani government, not the Afghans.
            Broken- I don't know why you thought you had to crosspost this to two different threads, but anyway, it doesn't surprise me that you would come to Newsweek's defense- your political leanings are well displayed.
            As if you have clue one about my politics. I simply provided information without comment- I am sorry if the information troubles you.

Regardless, the left leaning media has done it again, it their zeal to criticize the administration, they show once again that they have no real concern for the truth, or who actually gets hurt in the process. It's shameful, but a fact of life in these troubled times.
            The "Koran flushing" had already been reported elsewhere. For example, the link above to the Philly Inquirer and here's another at the BBC .

In an interview last week with the BBC's Haroon Rashid, Abdul Rahim Muslim Dost, an Afghan prisoner recently released from the Cuban detention centre, said a number of Arab prisoners had still not spoken to their investigators after three years to protest at the desecration of the Koran by guards.

Are you blaming the media for Gitmo and Abu Ghraib? I think that's called shooting the messenger. Here's some politics for you: I am not a big fan of mistreating prisoners. What goes around tends to come around.

Comment

Originally posted by Broken
              Are you blaming the media for Gitmo and Abu Ghraib?
              I blame them for making those stories their fetishes.

I think that's called shooting the messenger.
              If the messengers delight in their self-appointed roles of adversaries to ONE side and advocates to that side's opponents, they're not messengers, they're participants in political warfare. They should expect to be shot at, because they are no longer mere messengers.

PLEASE don't tell me you would defend them against my charge of bias against this administration's policies.

Here's some politics for you: I am not a big fan of mistreating prisoners. What goes around tends to come around.
              None of us are fans of that, and it seems any 'mistreatment' wasn't in the form of desecrating the Koran. That isn't a mere detail, it is the point on which this entire mucky lie turns on.

NEWSWEAK has retracted their story. For Allah's sake, Broken, it seems a losing battle for you to take their side when they've already yeilded the field.
              Last edited by Bluesman; 16 May 05,, 23:43.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                "“we regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst.”"

Yeah, you can stick your fucking appology where the sun never shines you traitorous fucking scumbags.

What's with you Broken? Newsweek itself is reporting that A) the story was FALSE, and B) that they DID in fact incite violence by printing it.
                Read the the whole Newsweek "retraction":Editor's Note

Two weeks ago, in our issue dated May 9, Michael Isikoff and John Barry reported in a brief item in our Periscope section that U.S. military investigators had found evidence that American guards at the detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, had committed infractions in trying to get terror suspects to talk, including in one case flushing a Qur'an down a toilet. Their information came from a knowledgeable U.S. government source, and before deciding whether to publish it we approached two separate Defense Department officials for comment. One declined to give us a response; the other challenged another aspect of the story but did not dispute the Qur'an charge.

Although other major news organizations had aired charges of Qur'an desecration based only on the testimony of detainees, we believed our story was newsworthy because a U.S. official said government investigators turned up this evidence. So we published the item. After several days, newspapers in Pakistan and Afghanistan began running accounts of our story. At that point, as Evan Thomas, Ron Moreau and Sami Yousafzai report this week, the riots started and spread across the country, fanned by extremists and unhappiness over the economy.

Last Friday, a top Pentagon spokesman told us that a review of the probe cited in our story showed that it was never meant to look into charges of Qur'an desecration. The spokesman also said the Pentagon had investigated other desecration charges by detainees and found them "not credible." Our original source later said he couldn't be certain about reading of the alleged Qur'an incident in the report we cited, and said it might have been in other investigative documents or drafts. Top administration officials have promised to continue looking into the charges, and so will we. But we regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst.

Sounds to me that Newsweek is saying the Pentagon changed it's story, not Newsweek.

Comment

You're a bit behind the times, Grand Master B Flash.

NEWSWEAK has indeed retracted the story. RETRACTED, not merely 'regret that we got any part of our story wrong'.

They just aren't very good at this sort of thing down in the newsroom, and just like CBS, they had to learn the ropes, too. But when they sex up a story and have to climb down later, it usually doesn't have a body count associated with it.

Comment

More:

Newsweek Retracts Koran-Desecration Story
                    Monday, May 16, 2005
                    By Jane Roh

NEW YORK — Newsweek on Monday retracted a story alleging interrogators at Guantanamo flushed the Koran down a toilet in front of detainees.

"Based on what we know now, we are retracting our original story that an internal military investigation had uncovered Koran abuse at Guantanamo Bay," editor Mark Whitaker (search) said in statement released Monday evening.

Earlier, Whitaker acknowledged the story was problematic in an apology to Newsweek's readers, but said there was no reason to retract the story.

"We're not retracting anything. We don't know what the ultimate facts are," he told The New York Times.

Newsweek did not say what caused the turnabout.

Comment

As if you have clue one about my politics. I simply provided information without comment- I am sorry if the information troubles you.
                      Oh, well I accept your apology, but I could care less about your politics. The only impression I have of you is from what you write on this board. If you consistently take the liberal viewpoint, it tends to give the impression that you are liberal leaning.
                      The "Koran flushing" had already been reported elsewhere. For example, the link above to the Philly Inquirer and here's another at the BBC .
                      All previous reports were claims by prisoners or their lawyers- not US Government sources, or spokesmen. Prior investigation had found that the claims were baseless, yet Newsweek willfully ignored this fact in their story.
                      In an interview last week with the BBC's Haroon Rashid, Abdul Rahim Muslim Dost, an Afghan prisoner recently released from the Cuban detention centre, said a number of Arab prisoners had still not spoken to their investigators after three years to protest at the desecration of the Koran by guards.
                      ...see above.
                      Are you blaming the media for Gitmo and Abu Ghraib? I think that's called shooting the messenger. Here's some politics for you: I am not a big fan of mistreating prisoners. What goes around tends to come around.
                      No one advocates mistreatment of prisoners. What irks me is that the media blows everything way out of proportion. When you compare the treatment that our people (or civilians) get from the AIF or Taliban, a lap dance on a tropical island doesn't sound all that bad to me.

I think anyone that can look objectively at Newsweek can easily see that they were irresponsible- they did not wait for the Official Report to be released before going forward with their story. Their verification process was extremely weak, almost looks like it was indended to deceive. When the sh*t hit the fan, they pull a CBS- try to blame someone else for their own shortcomings. This is hardly what one would expect from responsible or unbiased news outlets. It's just that in the past, irresponsible and biased reporting hasn't (so quickly) caused innocent deaths. This makes it a little more difficult for Newsweek to evade their complicity.
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                        I blame them for making those stories their fetishes.
                        I certainly got tired of these stories long ago. On the other hand, it pisses me off that only enlisted soldiers are taking the fall for this. General Miller ran both Gitmo and Abu Ghraib. His butt should be in the fire too. The fact that no officers are coming clean is one reason the story hasn't died.
                        If the messengers delight in their self-appointed roles of adversaries to ONE side and advocates to that side's opponents, they're not messengers, they're participants in political warfare. They should expect to be shot at, because they are no longer mere messengers.
                        I think we set higher standards for ourselves than for our enemies. We should hold ourselves in contrast to psychos who blow up themselves and any bystanders in the name of their God. Our media is supposed to act as a watch dog on politicians and government officials. It is both a strength and a weakness of democracies. Judging from the track record of countries with media censureship, I think we have the better system.
                        PLEASE don't tell me you would defend them against my charge of bias against this administration's policies.
                        Of course they are biased. The press is always adversarial to the government; that is their watchdog function. As Karl Rove said of the media, "I think it's less liberal than it is oppositional". The media were none too kind to Bill Clinton, either. In fact, the only President in the last forty years with even semi-favorable media was Reagan.

None of us are fans of that, and it seems any 'mistreatment' wasn't in the form of desecrating the Koran. That isn't a mere detail, it is the point on which this entire mucky lie turns on.
                        Actually, the "Koran flushing" story has been out for a while now, but only reported by detainees. Newsweek was the first to claim US government confirmation.
                        NEWSWEAK has retracted their story. For Allah's sake, Broken, it seems a losing battle for you to take their side when they've already yeilded the field.
                        I posted Newsweek's "retraction" above. Read it, if you haven't already. I think neither the Pentagon nor Newsweek anticipated this reaction. I smell some "fanning of the flames" by the islamic press.

Comment

Dam' good post, highsea.

Comment

"I certainly got tired of these stories long ago. On the other hand, it pisses me off that only enlisted soldiers are taking the fall for this. General Miller ran both Gitmo and Abu Ghraib. His butt should be in the fire too. The fact that no officers are coming clean is one reason the story hasn't died."

This just goes to prove you don't know what the F you're talking about.

The Abu Ghirab CO(BG Janice Karpinski) was DEMOTED(which requires direct presidential intervention), and her career is now effectively over.

Comment

The real problem is the idiots who get so wired up about their religion that they kill random people in retaliation.

Yes, newsweek were wrong, and yes the media really should put things into perspective. (I especially like how they try to equate making iraquis wear underwear on their head or touch each other naked is the same as beheading journalists).

However, this would not be a problem if it wasn't for evil fundamentalists.
                              SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Working...
                              X