Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Ricky Gervais' Golden Globes jokes go too far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Ricky Gervais' Golden Globes jokes go too far?

Ricky Gervais is unlikely to be invited back as Golden Globes host after he mocked the organisers and insulted Hollywood celebrities.

The British comedian's jokes were so near-the-knuckle that when he mysteriously disappeared from the ceremony for an hour, the internet was abuzz with speculation that he had been sacked midway through the broadcast.

He eventually returned, but in subdued form.

His critics included Robert Downey Jr, who told the audience: "Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the show's going pretty good so far, wouldn't you?"

The most controversial gag of the night was about the Church of Scientology. Referring to the film I Love You Phillip Morris, Gervais said it was about "two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay - so the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists, then."

"My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke," he added as the audience gasped.

He also poked fun at The Tourist, the flop film starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp - both of whom were in the audience and smiled gamely. Explaining that it had been a big year for 3D movies, Gervais quipped: "It seems like everything this year was three-dimensional... except the characters in The Tourist."

There were jokes about Charlie Sheen ("It's gonna be a night of partying and heavy drinking. Or as Charlie calls it: breakfast") and Hugh Hefner's sex life. He introduced Bruce Willis as "Ashton Kutcher's dad".

But Gervais perhaps took a risk too far when he mocked the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the 90-strong group of international film critics who choose the Golden Globe winners.

"I'd like to quash this ridiculous rumour going around that the only reason The Tourist was nominated was so the Hollywood Foreign Press could hang out with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp. That is rubbish. That is not the only reason. They also accepted bribes," he said.

The HFPA is currently being sued for $2m by a publicist who claims its members accept lavish gifts in exchange for supporting particular films. The HFPA denies the allegations.

Gervais also made a dig at the organisation's president, Philip Berk, saying: "I had to help the HFPA president off the toilet and pop his teeth back in."

Backstage, Berk was asked if he planned to invite Gervais back next year. "No comment," he replied.

Robert Downey Jr seemed similarly unimpressed. The actor presented an award and was introduced by Gervais with the words: "Many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail..."

After the ceremony, he elaborated on his earlier comments. "I think it's great to be funny, but it's just better if you can do it without hurting people," he said.

Gervais also managed to alienate Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, who presented an award together and were there to celebrate the success of Toy Story 3, for which they provide voices.

When Gervais introduced them, he announced: "What can I say about our next two presenters? The first is an actor, producer, writer and director whose movies have grossed over $3.5bn at the box office. He's won two Academy Awards and three Golden Globes for his powerful and varied performances starring in such films as Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Castaway, Apollo 13 and Saving Private Ryan. The other is Tim Allen."

Hanks retorted: "You know, like many of you we recall back when Ricky Gervais was a slightly chubby but very kind comedian."

"Neither of which he is now," said a stony-faced Allen.

US television critics were divided over Gervais's performance, with some applauding him for shaking up the awards show and providing laughs.

However, the Los Angeles Times noted that "a visible contingent in the glitzy crowd was palpably discomfited by the British comic's full-frontal joke assault, which set a corrosive tone for this year's ceremony".

The Washington Post asked: "Are we at war with England? If not, then why have we been subjected to two years of Ricky Gervais hosting the Golden Globe Awards?"

- Anita Singh

Did Ricky Gervais' Golden Globes jokes go too far? - Film & Cinema, Entertainment - Independent.ie

he did a bit I think, the Tim Allen joke was fairly good though

I can't stand the big-headed pratt. He's as funny as watching paint dry. Insulting people for a laugh is cheap, just like his show is over here. I cannot see his invitation as host landing on his desk in the near or distant future.

Comment

Hey, I laughed at damn near every single one of those jokes. It's like Carlos Mencia says: "If they can't take a joke, fcuk 'em!"
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
        I can't stand the big-headed pratt. He's as funny as watching paint dry. Insulting people for a laugh is cheap, just like his show is over here. I cannot see his invitation as host landing on his desk in the near or distant future.
        Dave is right, cheap shots at other people expense for laughs is about as low as you can get, the sad thing is Ricky G has perhaps one of the best comedic minds around and he could be so much better than this, he does not deserve any invites to anything.
        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

He could take a lesson from Don Rickles, a master of the insult with no pain.

Top Ten Insults For Dave Letterman

Presented live and in person
          by Don Rickles

February 5, 1996

10. Do yourself a favor, Letterman -- make an appointment with a brain surgeon
          9. Who picks your clothes -- Stevie Wonder?
          8. Why are you always speeding, Letterman? It's not like you've got people holding their breath til you get there
          7. Personally, I liked you better when you were on the cover of Mad" magazine"
          6. Don't look now, but something died on your head
          5. This is the part of the show where I always say to myself, 'I wonder what Koppel's doing tonight'
          4. Ball State -- now there's a real hotbed of rocket scientists
          3. If Drew Barrymore hadn't flashed you, you wouldn't have had any sex life at all
          2. Hey, Dave, I'm having an Oscar party this year. I hope you won't be working that night
          1. Letterman, let's face it -- you put the 'suck' in success
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

With all the things everywhere anymore that "go to far" (southpark, family guy, Tosh.0, almost every comedian, comedians who utilize the N-word as every other word, etc) are all considered mainstream and primetime. How in the world did a little gay Brit with a sharp tongue draw such ire?

Comment

Ricky Gervais

Pari, as usual was ahead of the madding crowd on this bit of news.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                Pari, as usual was ahead of the madding crowd on this bit of news.
                Should not have ruined what looks like a nice evening, when everyone was trying to relax, there is a time and a place for everything.

Very unprofessional, unless the organisers of the award show were trying to attract attention, very little in the show business happens without a script and several contracts, its all a show. The question is how many people tuned in, and how much publicity did the they all extract out of this.

Comment

I watched the video finally(curiosity got the better of me) and I didn't hear anything particularly outlandish. Its hollywood-ites he was making fun of, though not particularly funny, nothing sounded slanderous. Most of hollywood is far out of touch with reality but they think its normal. They're freaks and we make fun of freaks, nothing more.

Comment

The HFPA is a sham. Who's on it? Anyone knows? Anyone cares? I don't.

The only reason I post is because I think Gervais' jokes are funny and to the point. All jokes insult a person or a group of people. If these self-absorbed assholes can't take a joke, then they can go play in the traffic during rush hour.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Believe it or not, some people actually enjoyed his performance:

BBC News - Mixed reaction to Ricky Gervais as Golden Globes host

Comedian Ricky Gervais promised this year he would push the boundaries as he hosted the Golden Globes for a second time.

"I think I'll go just close enough to the edge but not go over it," he said on the red carpet before the ceremony.

But by the end of the star-studded bash, many were left debating whether he had gone too far in his jibes at the gathered celebrities and even organisers the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA).

He opened the show in no-nonsense style saying: "It's going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking - or as Charlie Sheen calls it, breakfast."

After a barrage of jokes, the rumour mill then went into overdrive after Gervais apparently disappeared for nearly an hour during the live ceremony.

When he eventually returned, he appeared to be less offensive, prompting a number of people to question what had happened to him.

Had he been fired? Been given a telling off? Ordered to tone it down?

Former newspaper editor and Britain's Got Talent judge Piers Morgan tweeted: "1st question when Gervais appears on @pierstonight on Thurs - what the hell did they do to you backstage for an hour? He looks haunted."

Here's a selection of his more controversial jokes:

* "It was a big year for 3D movies. Toy Story, Despicable Me, Tron. It seems like everything this year was three-dimensional, except the characters in The Tourist. I already feel bad about that joke. I'm jumping on the bandwagon, because I haven't even seen The Tourist. Who has?
                      * I'd like to quash the rumours that the only reason The Tourist was nominated was so that the Hollywood Foreign Press can hang out with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. That is rubbish, that is not the only reason - they also accepted bribes.
                      * "I Love You Phillip Morris stars Jim Carey and Ewan McGregor - two heterosexual actors pretending to be gay. So, the complete opposite of some famous scientologists. Probably. My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke."
                      * "I was sure the Golden Globe for special effects would go to the team that airbrushed [the Sex and the City 2] poster. Girls, we know how old you are. I saw one of you in an episode of Bonanza."
                      * On Jennifer Lopez - "She's just Jenny from the block. If the block in question is that one on Rodeo Drive between Cartier and Prada."
                      * On multi-millionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg: "Heather Mills calls him the one that got away."
                      * While introducing Robert Downey Jr - "Many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail."

When he took to the stage, Downey Jr quipped in return: "Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited, with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show is pretty good so far, wouldn't you?"

He later said backstage: 'I think it's great to be funny, but it's better if you can do it without hurting people."

Other celebrities also expressed their opinions on Gervais's hosting skills - Oscar winner Tom Hanks said while presenting an award: "We recall when Ricky Gervais was a slightly chubby but very kind comedian," to which his Toy Story 3 co-star Tim Allen quickly added: "Neither of which he is now."

And after suggesting he had to help HFPA president Philip Berk "off the toilet and pop his teeth back in", Berk fired back at Gervais: "The next time you want someone to qualify your movies, go to another guy."
                      Tom Hanks and Tim Allen Tom Hanks and Tim Allen expressed their dismay at Gervais's hosting skills

Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein joked that Gervais would "not make it out of town" that night.

"There are seven people that we've hired to kill him and deservedly so. Knowing that Ricky Gervais will never work again means a lot to me, I'm going to make sure of it," he told journalists backstage.

But some attendees endorsed the comic's jokes. 30 Rock star Alec Baldwin was spotted wiping tears from his eyes throughout the ceremony, and lifetime achievement winner Robert De Niro was also seen laughing all the way through.

While The Social Network and best supporting actor nominee Andrew Garfield told the Los Angeles Times: "He's been terribly nasty and horribly rude and I think he's genius."

US critics were not kind in their review of Gervais's "performance".

The Los Angeles Times said his jokes set "a corrosive tone" for the night, while TV critic Mary McNamara said: "The opposite of dull and deferential is not snotty and abusive."

"It would not have been surprising to see a hook emerge suddenly stage left or to learn that the host had taken 'suddenly ill'," she added.

The New York Times said the comic was "merciless from the start" while the Hollywood Reporter said it would "undoubtedly be his last hosting gig for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (and, who knows, maybe any Stateside awards)".

However Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker had nothing but praise for him: "Thanks once again to Ricky Gervais for bringing the sort of funny rudeness and effrontery... that make an awards show such as the Golden Globes engaging to watch."

The King's Speech director Tom Hooper perhaps summed up the general feeling after the ceremony: "I thought he was hilarious but will he ever present another award show again? I don't know but if he went out, he went out burning."
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I'll stand by my initial assessment: his imitation of Hef and the new missus on their wedding night (about 3' 20" in) had me in stiches. :) (god damn where's the dancing banana when you need it)
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Comment

Heh.
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Show-offs ! All I can do is grin...

Comment

Working...
                              X