Suspicious activity in my neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspicious activity in my neighborhood

Earlier in the evening around 5:30 PM-6:00 PM or so, I'm sitting in a room above my home's front door which is an area of my house where I like to work and read, when I hear the voice of a man down below on my front stoop outside and it appeared from the sounds of it that he was on his cell phone. My family(which was home at the time) didn't appear to notice this fellow, so after a couple of minutes I go to the door to see what is going on in which on my way to answer the door. I see him begin to move from my front door towards my driveway and in the process he stops and takes a peak around and looks briefly into the passenger windows of my father's car(which is a fairly nice car). When I get outside I notice that he has moved to the house next door to mine(from the appearance of the house my next door neighbor's were not home at the time), and also peered into my neighbor's front windows. At the same time it appeared he may have been texting , taking note of something on his phone, or just looking at it. However, after this he just moved on. He also didn't appear to have a car with him in the immediate proximity as he was entirely on foot during this time, from what I observed.

Therefore I'm wondering this,

. Could this individual have been casing my house and other homes in my neighborhood? However, if he had been casing around 5:30 to 6:30 PM would not be the time to do it since people are usually coming home from work at that time of the evening. Although my neighborhood often has a minimally watched feeling to it at all hours.

. He was dressed business causal, so I thought at first he might have been a door to door salesman? However, he appeared to have nothing with him to further suggest such a conclusion.

Anyone else have an opinion on this, or have a similar experience?

Always listen to your gut feeling instinct is there for a reason, that behavior is bizarre and you should report it to the police.

Looks like you might get robbed soon.
    Originally posted by GVChamp
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Since he had already entered your property (even though not IN the house) his behavior should have prompted you to dial 911 immediately on your cell phone.

While on line with the operator, you could have given details of his movements from your front door, to your father's car, to your neighbor's house.

This is certainly suspicious movement.

If he was "casing the joint" a responding police unit would have at least taken him in for questioning.

If it was a non-criminal operation, a police interview on the spot would have cleared it up and put your mind at ease.

I had a situation once where a car with one man in it was parked in front of my house for some time. I live on a corner lot next to a 4 lane road that has parallel roads on each side. On a pretense of trimming some bushes, I was able to read and write down his license plate number. Then I reported it to the police.

Fortunately, it turned out he was a plain clothes detective on survellience of a house on the other side of Downey Avenue.

However, one other time I saw a black car taking especial care to legally park in front of my next door neighbor's house. Then 3 males got out and walked down the street about 4 houses down. While they were in "heated conversation" with the woman of that house, I did a quick walk around their car, wrote down the license number but also noted they had no license plate in front.

I went back in the house before the 3 males returned to their car and drove off. A few minutes later a police car pulls up to the house the men "visited". The woman was trying to file a report of harassment from a gang. I sauntered across the street and said, "Excuse me. I live in the house on the corner and thought their precise care of parking the car was suspicious." I then handed them the description of the car, its license number and the fact there was no front license plate.

The reason the missing plate is important is it gives a legal right for police to pull them over and then continue an inspection for illegal items in the car or on the persons in it.

It seemed to solve the problem.

Oh, was I foolish to walk out there and take notes of the car? No. I was not alone. I had a friend with me. His name was Bill Ruger and he went by the moniker of .357 Magnum.

ALL suspicious activity should be reported IMMEDIATELY. It's called NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH. If you do not have a Neighborhood Watch program in your area, call the police department and they will schedule meetings and training for you and your neighbors.
      Last edited by RustyBattleship; 26 Jun 10,, 07:28.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
        Since he had already entered your property (even though not IN the house) his behavior should have prompted you to dial 911 immediately on your cell phone.

While on line with the operator, you could have given details of his movements from your front door, to your father's car, to your neighbor's house.

This is certainly suspicious movement.

If he was "casing the joint" a responding police unit would have at least taken him in for questioning.

If it was a non-criminal operation, a police interview on the spot would have cleared it up and put your mind at ease.

I had a situation once where a car with one man in it was parked in front of my house for some time. I live on a corner lot next to a 4 lane road that has parallel roads on each side. On a pretense of trimming some bushes, I was able to read and write down his license plate number. Then I reported it to the police.

Fortunately, it turned out he was a plain clothes detective on survellience of a house on the other side of Downey Avenue.

However, one other time I saw a black car taking especial care to legally park in front of my next door neighbor's house. Then 3 males got out and walked down the street about 4 houses down. While they were in "heated conversation" with the woman of that house, I did a quick walk around their car, wrote down the license number but also noted they had no license plate in front.

I went back in the house before the 3 males returned to their car and drove off. A few minutes later a police car pulls up to the house the men "visited". The woman was trying to file a report of harassment from a gang. I sauntered across the street and said, "Excuse me. I live in the house on the corner and thought their precise care of parking the car was suspicious." I then handed them the description of the car, its license number and the fact there was no front license plate.

The reason the missing plate is important is it gives a legal right for police to pull them over and then continue an inspection for illegal items in the car or on the persons in it.

It seemed to solve the problem.

Oh, was I foolish to walk out there and take notes of the car? No. I was not alone. I had a friend with me. His name was Bill Ruger and he went by the moniker of .357 Magnum.

ALL suspicious activity should be reported IMMEDIATELY. It's called NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH. If you do not have a Neighborhood Watch program in your area, call the police department and they will schedule meetings and training for you and your neighbors.
        I did call the police department later on in the evening, and I did tell my parents. My Dad was as concerned as I was, but my mother was not very concerned and thought I was overreacting.

Good idea about a neighborhood watch though, however problem in my area is that everyone hates each other and are obsessed with out doing one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
          I did call the police department later on in the evening, and I did tell my parents. My Dad was as concerned as I was, but my mother was not very concerned and thought I was overreacting.

Good idea about a neighborhood watch though, however problem in my area is that everyone hates each other and are obsessed with out doing one another.
          Always report suspicious behavior. Better safe than sorry. As for Neighbourhood Watch, even if your neighbours are not interested put a sign up on your property plus a picture of a huge snarling dog.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
            Always report suspicious behavior. Better safe than sorry. As for Neighbourhood Watch, even if your neighbours are not interested put a sign up on your property plus a picture of a huge snarling dog.
            Yeah I was thinking about hanging up the sign,

Trespassers will be shot; Survivors will be shot again!

Comment

A few years back, came across this shady looking person (according to one of my friends, not me) who was going door to door. My friend pulled me inside the garage and said this man looked suspicious. It didn't click at the moment for me, but soon enough, we saw him going house to house and peering into windows of the houses. We just thought he was some crackhead and took it lightly. A week later, a house down the street got broken into and robbed. Don't know it had any connection with that person, but its always better to be safe than sorry. Always report suspicious behaviour.
              Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
              -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                Yeah I was thinking about hanging up the sign,

Trespassers will be shot; Survivors will be shot again!
                DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, PUT UP SUCH A SIGN! If you were ever forced to defend yourself with a firearm, that sign WOULD be used against you in court! Either by the the prosecution, or by the attorney of the SOB you shot. ( To prove to the gun-hostile jury that you are a bloodthirsty cretin who should lose his house in the settlement.)
                sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  I have a bud in a very bad part of Toronto. All the houses are broken into except his - his sign? BEWARE OF SNAKE. And he had a fake one that one could see through the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    I have a bud in a very bad part of Toronto. All the houses are broken into except his - his sign? BEWARE OF SNAKE. And he had a fake one that one could see through the window.

Nice.

Comment

Good advice all around. Better to be safe than sorry. If you see him again, call the police immediately.
                      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Some years ago a jewelry store had a perfect guard for their window display.

A big hairy tarantula. And not a fake one either.
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

It would be a great attraction during feeding time.

Comment

I thought you were allowed to shoot tresspassers in the States.

Comment

Yeah, but people are also allowed to sue you for using excessive force, who cares what the law actually says?
                              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
                              X