Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female employee of Citibank says she was fired for being too hot at work

Woman says she was fired from Citibank for being too hot - NYPOST.com

She was too sexy for her shirts, so sexy it hurt - her career, court papers say.
    A curvy Queens woman says she was forced out of her job at Citibank because her male co-workers found her figure "too distracting."
    Debrahlee Lorenzana said she was dressing professionally, but her male bosses and co-workers still found her too hot be around their cold cash.
    Lorenzana went to work for Citibank as a business banking officer at their Chrysler Building branch in September of 2008.
    "Shortly after the commencement of her employment, branch manager Craig Fisher and assistant branch manager Peter Claibourne began articulating inappropriate and sexist comments concerning plaintiff's clothing and appearance," her court filings say.
    The improper comments made to plaintiff by Fisher and Claibourne included, but were not limited to, advising her that she must refrain from wearing certain items of clothing, in particular, turtleneck tops, pencil skirts, fitted business suits, or other properly tailored clothing.
    "In blatantly discriminatory fashion, plaintiff was advised that as a result of the shape of her figure, such clothes were purportedly 'too distracting' for her male colleagues and supervisors to bear."
    Lorenzana "complained to management, pointing out that other female colleagues wore similar professional attire," and that some dressed far more provocatively, her court filing says.
    "In a regressive response more sutiable for reality television than a white-shoe corporation in the 21st century, plaintiff was advised that these other comparator females may wear what they like, as their general unattractiveness rendered moot their sartorial choices, unlike plaintiff, whose shapeliness could not be heightened by beautifully tailored clothing."
    She was also told that "as a result of her tall stature, coupled with her curvaceous figure, she should not wear classic high heeled business shoes, as this purportedly drew attention to her body in a manner that was upsetting to her easily distracted male managers."
    The fed up femme fatale made a formal complaint to HR in May of last year, and asked for a transfer to another branch, her court filing says. The transfer didn't go through, and she was stripped of some of her duties, and then not given proper training for her new ones, the suit said. She was finally transferred in July, the suit says. Matters didn't improve at the next branch, where she was chided for failing to recruit new customers despite being given an out of the way post on the second floor, her filings say. She was fired that August.
    "The purported reasons for plaintiff's termination included that she failed to meet the required new account opening quotas, in addition to the credulity-straining assertion that her clothing choices were 'inappropriate,'" the suit said.
    Lorenzana's gender discrimination suit was dismissed last month because her deal with Citibank called for any disputes to be settled in private arbitration. She's pressing on with her case there.
    "Are you saying that just because I look this way genetically, that this should be a curse for me?" she told the Village Voice, which first reported her case.
    In a statement, Citibank said, "We believe this lawsuit is without merit and we will defend against it vigorously."
    They declined further comment because "we respect the privacy of all of our employees," but added that the bank has "a strong commitment to diversity and we do not condone, or tolerate, discrimination within our business for any reason."

"In a regressive response more sutiable for reality television than a white-shoe corporation in the 21st century, plaintiff was advised that these other comparator females may wear what they like, as their general unattractiveness rendered moot their sartorial choices, unlike plaintiff, whose shapeliness could not be heightened by beautifully tailored clothing."
    God, I wish my sig allowed that many words, that's hilarious.

She was discriminated against though, considering she was well within the dress code, to remark on her body in such a manner is not just unproffessional, it's sexual harrasment, added to the fact that if they were just getting on with their own jobs maybe she could have gotten on with hers.

Clever that the company made it part of her contract that she couldn't sue, talk about covering your arse with the modern employee.
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Hell, I'd do my banking with her, no problem!
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
        Hell, I'd do my banking with her, no problem!
        She probably doesn’t work with small depositors. ;)
        Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Comment

It's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean...
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Where's this bank again? I think I'd like to make a large "deposit" . . . .
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Hell, I'll give her a job. I wonder if she knows how to run a lathe?

Then again, it doesn't really matter....
              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

*looking at pic*

they could have just told her to wear a real bra and get rid of the five-inch pumps for work safety policies, and perhaps wear something to cover those arms and legs that are far too bony for the rest of the body.

Comment

Didn't we bail these bastards out?

How dare they...
                  Attached Files
                  To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

crooks Reply

Originally posted by crooks View Post
                    God, I wish my sig allowed that many words, that's hilarious.

She was discriminated against though, considering she was well within the dress code, to remark on her body in such a manner is not just unproffessional, it's sexual harrasment, added to the fact that if they were just getting on with their own jobs maybe she could have gotten on with hers.

Clever that the company made it part of her contract that she couldn't sue, talk about covering your arse with the modern employee.
                    Yes it is.

But the other way round.

Just imagine her whizzing past you all throughout the day, showcasing all her assets, forcing you to think of "all the non-thinkables" and NOT letting you "walk the talk". What do you earn mate?:))
                    sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Is it me, or is Citibank starting to smell awfully Muslim? She's pretty, so the men are distracted and can't work properly. Citibank now enforces a new dress code, all women must wear Burqas.

Comment

seriously??? what are the bank employees, 13?

she's not bad, but not -quite- a model, either...
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                          Yes it is.

But the other way round.

Just imagine her whizzing past you all throughout the day, showcasing all her assets, forcing you to think of "all the non-thinkables" and NOT letting you "walk the talk". What do you earn mate?:))
                          Cept she's not 'showcasing her assets', she's wearing the standard clothes for a female banker, same as her colleagues, nothing overtly revealing or distracting.

She's very attractive, well-endowed, and curvy - while that's undoubtably exciting/exotic for anyone attracted to women who happens to work in a bank, we all have an obligation to be professional in the workplace, and if you can't do your job with an attractive woman around you can't do your job full stop.

Seriously, sometimes it has to be questioned have women's rights moved forward at all, she was treated unfairly, and nobody cares, everyone just wants to talk about how much they'd tap that.

What if this was a super hot man fired from a company for being too attractive? Oh wait that doesn't happen.
                          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

I'd hire her in a flash...I see more customers coming through the door. My guess is Citibank didn't know how to properly use her assets, but of course they've shown that failure before with other assets. I suspect she was fired because she wasn't a performer...take that anyway you want to.:))
                            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

She looks like a "shemale". Sorry I had to let it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X