Algebra/Calculus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algebra/Calculus

I'll be living in the world of algebra/calculus next semester, and I'm looking for someone to pm from time to time for some advice/help.
    the moonster

Originally posted by Jackie-Moon View Post
    I'll be living in the world of algebra/calculus next semester, and I'm looking for someone to pm from time to time for some advice/help.
    the moonster
    Just remember that previous to calculus you are warned to never treat infinity as a valid number, and to never divide by zero. Calculus is all about dividing by zero and treating infinity as valid. It is the language of Rates of Change.

-dale

Comment

I took calculus twice in college.

Not because I thought it was fun, that's how many times it took to get a passing grade.

And that was 30 years ago, so I don't think I will be much help.

But good luck! :))
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I tried Algebra and Calculus 4 3 times and never passed it!!!!!! 1, 2 and 3 were no problems in my first 3 years, but had a total mental block on the stuff in module 4 lol!!!!! All I can remember about A&C 4 was that it had a lot of stuff about Eigen Values and Eigen Vectors. Never got my head round it!!!!

Regards

Arty
        "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie-Moon View Post
          the moonster
          Throw out extra medication in the house, ensure that there are no firearms about and keep away from all sharp items. A few classes of the stuff will make you want to end it all.
          Hated hated HATED it.
          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

I barely squeaked by my "Al-Jabar" and and leave it an insane German like Gottfried Leibniz to come up with something like Calculus..

Why?why?why?

Alcohol dulls the pain
            Last edited by texasjohn; 23 Apr 10,, 22:03.

Comment

Hell, I'm having trouble re-learning basic algebra... The fact that my mother used to be a math teacher takes all the fun out of yelling at my books
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I can see calculus is going to be real blast :)

Comment

The first 2 years of calculus was pretty fun. I had problems with differential equations and linear algebra.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I remember pulling my hair out in anguish thinking about all those wasted hours I spent solving problems with algebra when you can solve the same problem with calculus in seconds. However, if you do not have a good grasp of algebraic fundamentals calculus is going to be a scorned, strung out, absolute beyotch. Doing proofs and the insertion of trig is what bit me in the ass. As a Bio major I saw no use in the proofs and trig was never my strongest subject. Calc/Trig proofs were nothing but circular arguments for me.

Jackie-moon, When integrals comes your way,usually the second semester, get a good calculator and know damned well how to use it. Many students spent nearly as much time figuring out their calculators as doing the math. Hit Calc early and hard. If it does become a monster seek out help early, be it the teacher, an assistant, or a fellow student. I traded my camping/mountaineering experience with some one and he in turn was invaluable to me for calculus.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Isn't Soham a math whiz? I feel that he might be of use in dire straits like this
                      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

I just got my grade for the latest paper I wrote:'Cross cultural communication in the global marketplace.'I got an A for that, so here's hoping I can keep that standard when it comes to the dreaded calculus. My current GPA is 3.8.
                        I got an A in the usual algebra, so I'm hoping I pick up calculus ok.
                        You guys got me worried now :) Christ, I hope it isn't as bad as what I've been reading on here.

Comment

No offense, JM, but you've done time in the British Army and have been the Middle East ... and you're worried about grades?

And why are you doing this in the US instead of the Commonwealth where your service would be of value, ie, we would pay for it.

1st year university is a repeat of our high school graduating year highschool mandate.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                            1st year university is a repeat of our high school graduating year highschool mandate.
                            This is soooo true, as I found out back in the day!

Comment

Get Mathematica Student Edition. Wonderful tool for symbolic manipulation _AND_ numerical analysis.

Comment

Working...
                              X