China is building her own second generation Beidou system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China is building her own second generation Beidou system

including 4 (static Geosynchronous orbit) + 12 (Medium Earth Orbit orbit)+ 9 (high orbit) satellites.

The system is based on the first generation of "Beidou" system which has only 3 satellites and covers only China and around.

The second generation system will cover the earth in 2010 and commercial usage will begin in 2008. The first satellite of this system will be launched this summer.

Aha!

Now the Red Star will watch the world! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by oneman28
      including 4 (static Geosynchronous orbit) + 12 (Medium Earth Orbit orbit)+ 9 (high orbit) satellites.

The system is based on the first generation of "Beidou" system which has only 3 satellites and covers only China and around.

The second generation system will cover the earth in 2010 and commercial usage will begin in 2008. The first satellite of this system will be launched this summer.
      Is this a GPS system? I read somewhere China planned to join the European GPS system Galileo.
      Last edited by coolieno99; 02 May 05,, 05:45.

Comment

Originally posted by coolieno99
        Is this a GPS system? I read somewhere China planned to join the European GPS system Galileo.

Yes, this is a GPS-like system. China only will invest about $200 million and participate in the European project.

Beidou (NorthStar) system is a domestic one. Beidou -1 was finished last year which was mainly for testing purpose. I think the military is the only user of Beidou 1 so far.

Comment

Originally posted by oneman28
          Yes, this is a GPS-like system. China only will invest about $200 million and participate in the European project.

Beidou (NorthStar) system is a domestic one. Beidou -1 was finished last year which was mainly for testing purpose. I think the military is the only user of Beidou 1 so far.
          The Beidou-2 is probably going to be China's most advance satellite system. I always thought the 3 satellite Beidou-1 is not enough, but as you said it is really just a test system. Where do you get your information on the Beidou-2 system from?

Comment

Working...
          X