Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At last, a national education standard. (Almost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At last, a national education standard. (Almost)

Would this idea work for US public schools? It might make it easier for those children moving with their parents across State lines :))

Math, English classes could be standardized

By DONNA GORDON BLANKINSHIP,
    Associated Press Writer Donna Gordon Blankinship, Associated Press Writer
    28 mins ago

.SEATTLE – Students across the nation might eventually use the same math and English textbooks and take the same tests if states adopt new rigorous standards proposed Wednesday by governors and education leaders.

The standards are meant to replace a patchwork of systems across the country in hopes of raising student achievement nationwide.

But it won't be an easy task to implement the standards on such a large scale. Two states — Texas and Alaska — have already refused to join the project, and everyone from state legislatures to the nation's 10,000 local school boards and 3 million teachers could chime in with their opinions.

The public is invited to comment on the proposed new standards until April 2, and the developers hope to publish final education goals for K-12 math and English in May.

The state-led effort was coordinated by the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers. Experts were called in to do the writing and research, but state education officials and teachers from around the nation were actively involved.

After the standards are complete, each state will still have to decide whether to adopt them as a replacement for their existing education goals.

The stakes could be high. President Barack Obama told the nation's governors last month that he wants to make money from Title I — the federal government's biggest school aid program — contingent on adoption of college- and career-ready reading and math standards.

Already, the federal government has opened bidding for $350 million to work on new national tests that would be given to students in states that adopt the national standards.

But some critics worry the federal government, which is enthusiastically watching the project but not directing it, will force them to adopt the results.

"Texas has chosen to preserve its sovereign authority to determine what is appropriate for Texas children to learn in its public schools," Robert Scott, Texas' commissioner of education, wrote in a letter to U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas. "It is clear that the first step toward nationalization of our schools has been put into place."

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which is helping pay for the effort, believes most states will value the new national standards.

Vicki L. Phillips, director of foundation's K-12 education program, said every state she's talked to thinks high school achievement isn't high enough and that more students need to graduate ready for college.

"The standards make those aspirations concrete and tangible," Phillips said.

One state, Kentucky, already adopted the standards in February, before the process was complete.

A look at the math standards reveals the changes are not dramatic. Kids would still learn to count in kindergarten, not multiply and divide.

But each grade will have fewer goals in each subject area, and the goals are written plainly with little or no educational jargon.

Also, some learning goals may start to show up earlier than expected.

For example, second-graders will be expected to add and subtract triple digit numbers. Fractions will start in third grade. Kindergartners will be expected to learn to count to 100.

One math expert who was not involved in writing the draft standards questioned the value of moving lessons earlier.

Cathy Seeley, senior fellow at the Charles A. Dana Center at the University of Texas, has been involved in the revision of math standards in more than a dozen states. She saw a lot of similarity between the recent state revisions and the national plan.

Seeley said she didn't think making kids learn things earlier translated into higher standards.

"It's not that they're learning it well but too late. It's that they're not learning it well," Seeley said.

The new standards are based on evidence and input from educators, researchers and mathematicians to determine when students should study certain topics, said Chris Minnich, director of standards and assessment for the Council of Chief State School Officers.

Some states' existing standards aren't tough enough because they were formed based on consensus among all parties, he said, not evidence of what works.

"We really used evidence in an unprecedented fashion," Minnich said.

____

AP reporter April Castro contributed to this story from Austin, Texas.

____

On the Net:

Common Standards Initiative: Common Core State Standards Initiative
    original article: Math, English classes could be standardized - Yahoo! News

When I moved from Alaska to Washington in the 70's, I was about 2-1/2 years ahead of my class in Washington. I had algebra in 8th grade and geometry in 9th. They were taking algebra in 10th.

Hate to see the states that are doing it right dumbed down to the national level.
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Public education should be abolished.

Standardized format means we cater to the lowest common denominator rather than the highest.

Wait until we get to charges of "racism" start to come out about "standardized" education.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

Standardized format means we cater to the lowest common denominator rather than the highest.
        The second part of what you said is what needs to change, but the first line seems a bit extreme.

I hear this argued as a "state's right" issue, but I can't agree. The entire nation is not on the same page when it comes to standards. Massachusetts has students on par with Japan while knowing how to read.... READ..... in neighboring Rhode Island, is basically an accomplishment at some schools. The deep south isn't any better. Lowering standards should be illegal and considered a crime against children and humanity.

I think the other thing this country does now that is wrong is we cater to teh low students more than the high ones. "Oh you're smart, just read a book while I teach this 14 yr old how to do his 3's times tables." Way too much of that and it really irritates me. I teach and I push the high kids and consider them a higher priority than the lower kids if push comes to shove. Need more scientists and engineers in this country - not more McDonalds managers.
        Last edited by Freeloader; 14 Mar 10,, 07:11.

Comment

highsea,

Hate to see the states that are doing it right dumbed down to the national level.
          it's not a hard fix-- simply put the bright kids in a gifted class. the public school system i grew up in (northern california) actually had two accelerated levels; the superbright kids were learning calculus by 10th grade; the "merely" bright in 11th or 12th.

once you finished with single-variable calculus and you wished to push forward, they would assign you to the local community college for multi-variable calculus and linear algebra. i re-call one kid whom finished calculus in middle school and was doing advanced topology by 12th grade
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            Ok, I'll bite. What's your plan?

Yes and no. Lowest and highest are relative terms. In a French high school the lowest would rank about in the middle of an average American high school. The average would be graduating at the level of a freshman in college. It's not the French are smarter but that they are handed a much fuller plate and extracurricular activities are played down.

My point is, most US public high school have a weak curriculum. I saw that when I went to a French-American high school in Washington. One side did it the US way: final exams every year. The French side aimed for one major final at the end of the last year, called the Baccalaureate, a very tough set of oral and written exams. If they passed, they'd be accepted as a 2nd semester freshman or sophomore in a US college. That system probably wouldn't work here, but we could compress subjects so that, say, 8th graders would be working on what is now a 9th grade level and so on up and down the line.

That said, I oppose Fed control of the schools and education standards. Help, assist, fund...ok, but not control, not even through the power of the purse. Over federalization will lead to homogenization of the country and the blurring of regional diversity. The country strength is its diversity. Sacrificing it for a common education standard is a bad deal.

Wait until we get to charges of "racism" start to come out about "standardized" education.
            Why, of course.
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Texas and Californian won't sign on because of the power they have over the textbook wars.

Freeloader,

I think the other thing this country does now that is wrong is we cater to teh low students more than the high ones.
              We do not cater to the lower performing students but suck money away from things that could bring them up in order to fund AP courses. You generally find the worst students in the worst schools. But that is what a reasonable person would expect when scarce resources are funneled to support only those who are both smart and lucky enough be in a good school. There are districts where the best schools are superbly equipped, while in the same district other schools haven't gotten a new text book in years.

IIRC, Detroit had schools using cold war era social study books, globes and maps into the new millennium.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                IIRC, Detroit had schools using cold war era social study books, globes and maps into the new millennium.
                I remember you mentioning stuff like this in another thread.My question to you is how that affects maths,chemistry,physics,biology?Those are the same now as they were 30 years ago(new advancements happened,but teenagers must learn the basics before pursuing a career as a scientist).These are also the most important things(well,at least that's what my whole indoctrination since I was 7 tells me).

In reference to what JAD said about the French system(which we follow as well for some 150 years).It offers everyone who passes a bac. a solid general knowledge.There is a of course a difference on emphasis between those that have a science heavy curriculum or a humanistic one.When I was there I met my Americans or Brits of my age in various programs.It was obvious who was the more ''stupid'' at that level.But the difference is made at Univ. level.The amount of practice and work a student in a serious American Univ. has,as well as the amount of equipment and technology he has access to is way superior(for now ).At least for science.Gender studies and other pseudo qualifications don't really deserve a mention.
                Those who know don't speak
                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  highsea,

it's not a hard fix-- simply put the bright kids in a gifted class. the public school system i grew up in (northern california) actually had two accelerated levels; the superbright kids were learning calculus by 10th grade; the "merely" bright in 11th or 12th.

once you finished with single-variable calculus and you wished to push forward, they would assign you to the local community college for multi-variable calculus and linear algebra. i re-call one kid whom finished calculus in middle school and was doing advanced topology by 12th grade
                  We had something similar where I went to school in rural NSW. It only required 2 pupils to apply & advanced classes could be set up in virtually anything at year 12 level. I did advanced English & Modern History & would have done advanced Ancient History if I had been able to timetable it. Others did the same in science, art etc. Because demand was high advanced Maths classes were large & began in year 11.

Students who really wanted advanced subjects in areas of limited demand (languages, music) were able to transfer to other area schools where these were offered.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                    I remember you mentioning stuff like this in another thread.My question to you is how that affects maths,chemistry,physics,biology?Those are the same now as they were 30 years ago(new advancements happened,but teenagers must learn the basics before pursuing a career as a scientist).These are also the most important things(well,at least that's what my whole indoctrination since I was 7 tells me).
                    Science and technology have changed even more than national borders. When the Soviet Union fell cells phones were rare and 1g, DNA was only a promising new technology, the human genome had not been unlocked, Hubble HST was brand new and broken....

Comment

And how does that affect geometry or botany? What's the point of teaching the human genome to someone that never heard about Mendel's Laws?Or cannot recognize symbols on the Mendeleev table?Look I'm not advocating going back to 19th century.I simply state that fundamentals that the kids need to learn before going to more advanced stuff can be teached using infrastructure and manuals that existed for decades.Granted,the kids must want to learn and the teachers must want to teach.Otherwise you won't be invaded by Indian,Chinese or East Europeans engineers.
                      Those who know don't speak
                      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Standardizing the standards across the nation it to put it bluntly, a very bad idea.

Different states have different cultures and different educational issues and a state-run, state-standardized system is better adapted to handling it than a more federalized system. You lose flexibility from an already cumbersome system by centralizing it.

For example, in Southern California (where I live) many students do not speak English or are not fluent in it, consequently bilingual and ELD (English Language Development) courses are a priority. Thing is, a state like Utah isn't going to have these kinds of problems or at least have them on the same scale as California.

So creating a uniform standard would probably result in some local issues being either ignored or overstressed.
                        USNA 2014?

Comment

I always thought that colleges and universities are the great equalizers. They don't believe a thing high school teaches you. First year is always a rehash of what they want you to know.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post

...they would assign you to the local community college ....
                            It was a good deal, college courses met only twice week and counted as double credits (triple if you were continuing on AFTER high school). Meant I got to go home after lunch, even with study hall. Downside was I kept getting stopped by SO, looking for truants. Pain in my ass, made me late every time.
                            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              I always thought that colleges and universities are the great equalizers. They don't believe a thing high school teaches you. First year is always a rehash of what they want you to know.
                              These days the first year is spent teaching the kids what they should have learned in high school or junior high.

It's the biggest complaint you hear from university administrators- the new students are completely unprepared and mostly illiterate.
                              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
                              X