X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M.F. Husain gets Qatari citizenship

M.F. Husain gets Qatari citizenship

DAWN.COM | Front Page | M.F. Husain gets Qatari citizenship

NEW DELHI, Feb 25: India’s best-known painter M.F. Husain, who went into exile after death threats from Hindu hardliners, has been granted Qatari citizenship, sparking new soul-searching about his persecution at home.

In a message published in The Hindu newspaper on Thursday, Husain said he had been “honoured” with nationality by the emirate’s royal family without actually applying for it.

Commenting on the news, The Hindu editor-in-chief N. Ram said it was a compliment to Husain’s “artistic genius” but added that it was also “a sad day for India”.

Since 1996, extremist Hindus have issued death threats against Husain, filed more than 900 court cases, vandalised paintings and threatened gallery owners who wanted to display his works. In 2006, he went into self-imposed exile.—AFP
    The pakistani news paper conveniently ignores that he had provoked the Hindus by painting their gods and goddesses nude. Maybe the Hindus overreacted but then we all saw how the Muslims reacted over the paintings of Mohammed.....
    Seek Save Serve Medic

I am sure Qatari Government will allow him to paint nude images Prophet.

Comment

There are plenty of statues that depict Hindu gods nude. I have even seen nude (the upper bust) statues of Saraswati in many temples. I do not think the statues were made luridly. Just that in the medieval and early history, that was how gods were portrayed.

But then MF Hussain case was bound to come under scrutiny because:

1. In this day and age, depicting the gods as nude is no longer the accepted school of arts in India.
      2. MF Hussain being a Muslim should have tread carefully
      3. MF Hussain was a perv. Remember his obsession with Madhuri Dixit?

Why Qatar I wonder? Because it offers an environment of artistic freedom?
      Totalitarianism-Feudalism in new garbs

Comment

Yes, he will be painting the Qatar royal family in the nude there. ;)
        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

Q: What was MF Hussian told when he stood in a queue for citizenship applications?

A: Aap Qatar mein hain (You are in the Queue)! ;)
          There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

Originally posted by HillTribe View Post
            There are plenty of statues that depict Hindu gods nude. I have even seen nude (the upper bust) statues of Saraswati in many temples. I do not think the statues were made luridly. Just that in the medieval and early history, that was how gods were portrayed.

But then MF Hussain case was bound to come under scrutiny because:

1. In this day and age, depicting the gods as nude is no longer the accepted school of arts in India.
            2. MF Hussain being a Muslim should have tread carefully
            3. MF Hussain was a perv. Remember his obsession with Madhuri Dixit?

If a non-muslim condemns the treatment of MF Hussain, I am willing to listen and debate. But any muslim who utters even a word in support of MF Hussain needs to STFU. These people are uncompromising when it comes to Islam, remember the Nike shoe controversy and the Danish cartoons. So I am pretty much outraged when the pakistani news media tries to portray his actions as only art....
            Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Yeah sure, so why doesn't he try to paint an image if not a naked image of Mohammed....
              Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Government's fault

Its so ridiculous that in such a multi-religious yet such a sensitive society, the government has yet to put in place and enforce laws which define as to what extent you can go when dealing with religion. Its really stupid to see this is a rampant type of thing which happens in India; Hindus go wacko when someone paints their gods naked, Muslims go wacko when another Muslim author publishes a book criticizing the Quran, Christians go wacko when a book or movie is to be released on their religion (Da Vinci Code), Sikhs go wacko when their history is modified and published by another organization. I think it is about time the government gives itself a hard smack and wakes up from this slumber. Some laws need to be placed as to how far people can go when treading on religious lines. Because in India, everybody, steps on everybody elses toes; disregarding if they are Hindus, Muslims, Christians or Sikhs. I think its about time the government steps in and lays some solid guidelines and boundaries when it comes to religion.
                Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

MF Husain? I thought that's a nickname for Barry...
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
                    Yeah sure, so why doesn't he try to paint an image if not a naked image of Mohammed....
                    Medic Sir,

(Ahem) sarcasm? :))
                    Totalitarianism-Feudalism in new garbs

Comment

I don't give two hoots about him getting the citizen ship of Qatar. Strip him off his Indian citizen ship any how you cannot hold dual citizenship.
                      It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

Actually the moment he accepted Qatari citizenship he 'was' legally stripped off the Indian citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by HillTribe View Post
                          Medic Sir,

(Ahem) sarcasm? :))
                          I dont give a shyt if this two bit pervert humps a camel but what really bothers me is

Commenting on the news, The Hindu editor-in-chief N. Ram said it was a compliment to Husain’s “artistic genius” but added that it was also “a sad day for India”.
                          Granted that N.Ram is a commy prick but too many people in India hold similar views....
                          Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

I don't think we must take a principled stand on this issue because it doesn't deserve any.

MFH has demonstrated scant respect for freedom of expression and creative freedom by going to Qatar. That is an 'Islamic' country - a term which is fast becoming the synonym of an intolerant, discriminatory regime that treats non-Muslims like dirt.

Had this painter taken up refuge in London or the US citing intolerance in India I'd back him any day.

There is nothing we must or can do about it now.

I have no problems with his naked portrayal of mother India. I genuinely believe it to be a valuable addition to Indian art. However I fail to see his point with Sita rubbing her clitoris on Hanuman's tail. It was a pointless piece of work unless he can offer a better interpretation. Each to his own perversion I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post
                              Had this painter taken up refuge in London or the US citing intolerance in India I'd back him any day.

After painting similar things about their God even I would back him any day...;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X