Slovak authorities apologise as hidden explosives enter Dublin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slovak authorities apologise as hidden explosives enter Dublin

Slovak authorities apologise as hidden explosives enter Dublin - The Irish Times - Wed, Jan 06, 2010

THE SLOVAKIAN government has apologised to Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern after a passenger carried enough explosives to make two hand grenades on to a flight to Dublin as part of a security test at a small Slovakian airport that went wrong.

The Irish authorities were not notified until yesterday, some four days after the incident.

Slovakian interior minister Robert Kalinak yesterday spoke to Mr Ahern by phone. He apologised and said his government would fully co-operate with any Irish investigation.

The 96 grammes of high-grade plastic explosives was one of eight batches concealed by the Slovakian security services in the luggage of passengers departing Poprad-Tatry airport in eastern Slovakia on Saturday.

The consignments were hidden without the passengers knowing to test security. Seven of the consignments were found by sniffer dogs. However, the explosives placed in the bag of a man travelling on the 11am flight to Dublin with Danube Wings went undetected.

The 49-year-old Slovakian electrician flew to Dublin, where he has lived and worked for three years, and went to his apartment on Dorset Street in the north inner city. He unpacked, but did not find the mobile-phone-sized explosives.

The alarm was only raised yesterday morning when the Slovakian security services contacted the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) and airport police.

Gardaí were contacted and used the passengers’ flight details to establish his address. Raiding the apartment, they found the explosives and arrested the man.

The busy roads around the apartment were sealed off for an hour, and nearby apartments and business premises were evacuated. The area was declared safe by gardaí and the Army’s bomb disposal experts at 12.05pm. The explosives are stable at room temperature but volatile when stored below minus four degrees. The quantity exceeded the 80 grammes carried by a man who tried to blow up a plane to Detroit last month.

A Garda report into the incident is being compiled for Mr Ahern, at his request. The arrested man was held at Mountjoy Garda station under Section 30 of the Offences against the State Act. He was released after a short period.

The Irish Times understands he was contacted by the Slovakian authorities on his mobile phone yesterday morning and told explosives were in his bag. Gardaí raided his flat shortly afterwards.

DAA said there had been no breach of security in Dublin airport because security checks at all international airports were conducted on departing passengers only.
    When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Yeah I read about it too, quite the feck up on the part of the Slovaks - out of interest why on Earth would an intilligence service plant such a device without checking to make sure the man will be frisked/examined/at the very least questioned when he arrived?

The guy was commuting round the middle of a large city for a couple of hours with explosives on him, because someone didn't check policy?!
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

And the explosives become volatile at -4!

Good job this a few weeks ago and not now!

Comment

Originally posted by zara View Post
        And the explosives become volatile at -4!

Good job this a few weeks ago and not now!
        True - down here we had to deal with disasterous floods but seeing the news yesterday I have to say all of Munster was laughing at yea:))!

Dubs can't take the cold, the panic was hilarious - I had to personally rip every carpet, every piece of furniture, our beloved bed and most of the wallpaper out of my own badly damaged house, got on with it because I'm an Armagh/Louth man who can take adversity, random effette Dubliner gets snowballed and he's crying for mammy and his unreachable latte:)).
        Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
        - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
          True - down here we had to deal with disasterous floods but seeing the news yesterday I have to say all of Munster was laughing at yea:))!

Dubs can't take the cold, the panic was hilarious - I had to personally rip every carpet, every piece of furniture, our beloved bed and most of the wallpaper out of my own badly damaged house, got on with it because I'm an Armagh/Louth man who can take adversity, random effette Dubliner gets snowballed and he's crying for mammy and his unreachable latte:)).

ahh yer all muck savages down in Munster:)

Comment

Working...
          X