Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the Brits...

A scenario:

Five years from now, NATO fragments due to the increasingly conflicting views of the US and Western European "powers".

France and Germany forms the ETO (European Treaty Organization)

The US, Canada and Australia forms an organization pretty similar.

Relations between Europe and USA,CAN & AUS, while not freezing, gets colder and colder.

Realistically, which side does the Brits join and you as a Brit would rather join...?

Not that realistic but I'm just trying to promote a discussion :)

I will choose US if I'm a British:France and Germany<US.

Comment

check which side italy is on..and then pick the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
        Really a good idea

Comment

If I have my history correct italy was on the winning side in both world wars (eventually). How'd germany go Tarek? :))
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Of course they were on the winning side, since they switched teams in both cases.

Italy was allied with Austria and Germany when WWI started (declared neutrality first, and then joined the Allied side after getting a better offer on how much land they would get after the war)

There is a famous saying (often claimed to be from Napoleon):

'Italians never end a war on the same side they started.....unless they switch sides twice'

And yeah ok we lost both world wars, not that I would want to complain about that, but you can't deny that we put up a pretty good fight first...unlike some of the victors.

Comment

I would really rather not choose a side in your nightmare scenario, I'd rather be friends with both sides. But for the sake of the argument, I'd rather join the anglosphere if the nightmare came to pass.

;)

Comment

Germany...third time glücklich;):)

Comment

When I was young I would have said the USA, but now after a few years wandering around the Internet, I would say Europe.
                  In my time on the web I've come to the conclusion that Britain has more in common with Europe than the USA.
                  We may speak and write in a fairly similar language, but politically and culturally we more like Europe than the USA.

ps; Don't get me wrong I don't dislike the USA, its just that I've come to the view that its a far more foreign country to the British way of viewing things than most Brit's realise
                  Last edited by redco; 24 Oct 09,, 12:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    If I have my history correct italy was on the winning side in both world wars (eventually). How'd germany go Tarek? :))
                    Nevermind that since when were we part of NATO?

I see a Pacific Ocean, and an Indian one, did those bastads push us across into something that has nothing whatsoever to do with us again?
                    Ego Numquam

Comment

Of course they were on the winning side, since they switched teams in both cases.

Italy was allied with Austria and Germany when WWI started (declared neutrality first, and then joined the Allied side after getting a better offer on how much land they would get after the war)

There is a famous saying (often claimed to be from Napoleon):

'Italians never end a war on the same side they started.....unless they switch sides twice'

And yeah ok we lost both world wars, not that I would want to complain about that, but you can't deny that we put up a pretty good fight first...unlike some of the victors.
                      So what you are saying is that Germany is good at fighting well for a bad cause, but Italy is better at picking winners. :) In that case I'll pick whatever side the Italians end up on. :))
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                        A scenario:

Five years from now, NATO fragments due to the increasingly conflicting views of the US and Western European "powers".

France and Germany forms the ETO (European Treaty Organization)

The US, Canada and Australia forms an organization pretty similar.

Relations between Europe and USA,CAN & AUS, while not freezing, gets colder and colder.

Realistically, which side does the Brits join and you as a Brit would rather join...?

Not that realistic but I'm just trying to promote a discussion :)

I'd rather we threw our lot in with the USA, Canada, Aus.

Having of course flooded the UK mainland with very large numbers of our allies' armed forces.

Then actually start a war (easy enough) with ETO, and after wards reap the spoils, and have the US pay most of the repair bill for Europe.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          So what you are saying is that Germany is good at fighting well for a bad cause, but Italy is better at picking winners. :) In that case I'll pick whatever side the Italians end up on. :))
                          Not exactly, it is ore that Italy is good at leaving the sinking ship before it has even left the habour but after having drilled some holes into the Ship. Maybe this old joke helps to explain it:

It is the 10 of June in 1940. German Troops have advanced deep into France and a are about to reach Paris. Victory is within reach, but it is also a very dangerous situation. The Wehrmacht has moved extremly fast and is in danger of overstretching while the supply is struggling to reach the ever moving frontlines. If anything would go wrong now the majority of the German forces would see themselves cut off deep in enemy land. It is in this moment that Hitler and his General are nervously planning the next steps of the Fall of France as suddenly the door blasts open and a messengers storms into the room:

"My Führer! I have urgent news! Italy has just joined the war!"

on of the General reacts at once:

"In this case, I I need 10 division to secure our southern Border!"

the messenger replies

"No no! You don't understand! They joined on OUR side!"

the same General replies immediately:

"Make that 20 division"

Comment

"My Führer! I have urgent news! Italy has just joined the war!"

on of the General reacts at once:

"In this case, I I need 10 division to secure our southern Border!"

the messenger replies

"No no! You don't understand! They joined on OUR side!"

the same General replies immediately:

"Make that 20 division"
                            Good joke!:)):)):)):))

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Gu View Post
                              Good joke!:)):)):)):))
                              Sadly it wasn't a joke.

Tony
                              Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Working...
                              X