Windows 7 is out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 is out!

Well, the new version of Windows has rolled out. Supposed to be the latest and greatest. From what I've read, it looks like it's going to be great. I've been running Vista Ultimate for about a year, and haven't had any problems, so if this is the massive improvement everybody's been saying, I ought to like it pretty well. I think the idea to conduct a massive beta test was a great idea.

I thought I'd post some links where one can get the software at a pretty steep discount.

Windows 7 full versions, for less than the price of the respective retail upgrade CDs. One caveat: if you perform any big upgrade on your computer you're going to have to be a little slick on the phone with Microsoft ("the reason I have a new motherboard and processor.... because the old motherboard failed and took the CPU with it!").

Ultimate ($190):
    Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
    Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
    (vs. $320 for full retail, $220 for upgrade)

Professional ($150):
    Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
    Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
    (vs. $300 for full retail, $200 for upgrade)

Home ($110):
    Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
    Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
    (vs. $200 for full retail, $120 for upgrade)
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

No early-adapter here.

I'll be waiting a good 6 months before I allow our I.T. at work to update my computer with Microsoft's latest pile of steaming manure.

I figure by then, whatever inevitable patches are needed will have (maybe) been issued.

And before anybody gives me the "any new software will have some bugs in it" speech...

I have to say that due to the nature of the work that I do, I can't afford to have a single delay caused by our I.T.'s starry-eyed exuberance to immediately ram the latest and "greatest" thing down our throats.

Who knows? Maybe this will be the finest version of Windows ever produced, with the smoothest debut in OS history.

But this is Microsoft we're talking about, so I'm not holding my breath.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

It's already been out for 10 months.

I'd give it a vote of confidence, sight unseen based on the following:

1) 10 months of public beta testing involving millions of people
      2) No doubt based largely on that, it outsold Vista... before it was even released.

Comment

From everyone I've talked to, the review has been very positive. They said this is like Windows XP compared to Windows Millennium that is Windows Vista.

I won't get it for a few months at least.

1. I'm broke
        2. I'll let the lab rats figure out all the problems first
        3. What's wrong with XP?
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

not going to change for several months, but sooner or later I can't avoid using directX 11 which requires windows 7.

btw:

Am i the only one who always fears that Skynet will takeover when a new windows is released?

Comment

I'm running Windows 7 professional 64 bit edition. Upgraded from Windows Vista two weeks ago (we have site licensed copy early) without a hitch but took a loooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggggg time for the software to install.

It kept all of my files and all of my programs work, even ones originally designed for XP.

Interface is better than Vista or XP, boot up time much faster, and your windows background can now be a slide show. Stability wise seems to be rock solid on my computer. I did update all of the drivers after the install.

So, overall pretty good! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Well, the new version of Windows has rolled out. Supposed to be the latest and greatest. From what I've read, it looks like it's going to be great. I've been running Vista Ultimate for about a year...
              Ironduke, one thing you might miss from Ultimate is the ability to have a video be your windows background. Windows 7 can only do slides shows.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                Ironduke, one thing you might miss from Ultimate is the ability to have a video be your windows background. Windows 7 can only do slides shows.
                Nope, never even knew it was an option. A photo background is good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                  not going to change for several months, but sooner or later I can't avoid using directX 11 which requires windows 7.

btw:

Am i the only one who always fears that Skynet will takeover when a new windows is released?
                  Micro$oft is not the skynet everyone fears and Billy Gates isn't the anti-christ.

Another company is even more sinister...

Comment

of course Bill Gates is not the Anti-christ. This titel is resereved for me since my religous Aunt learned that my name can be translated as Lucifer and noticed that I listen to heavy metal. Family reunion do rise to a complete new level of awkward when some of your relatives try to go exorcist on you.

and btw: After the last Terminator movies I am routing for Skynet anyway. Just to ensure there won't be more.

i hope my current system will make it for at least another year so I can upgrade my complete PC and OS at the same time.

Comment

I'm seriously thinking about building a new computer.

My current system is running on the same 1GB of RAM I bought almost 6 years ago. I have upgraded the board, the video, the processor, and the power supply about 3 years ago. The primary drive is also almost 6 years old (1st gen WD Raptor). The data drive is around 2 years old.

I'm running into long load times for games now due to low memory.

Comment

If you use your pc for anything else but office application, internet and games that need more hardware then Solitair then you should definitly upgrade. Though maybe wait till after chirstmas (at least here the hardware prices usually fall after the holiday season)

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                          If you use your pc for anything else but office application, internet and games that need more hardware then Solitair then you should definitly upgrade. Though maybe wait till after chirstmas (at least here the hardware prices usually fall after the holiday season)
                          Oooh good point.

My computer is so well built (thank you...I'll try not to strain my shoulder while patting my own back ) that it can still play newest games.

I have no problem playing Left 4 Dead and Warhammer 40k. The only issue I have is longer load time. I could just upgrade the RAM. But those DDR RAM (not DDR2) are expensive now.

I just built a computer for my mom and it cost only $300 with 4GB of RAM, 750GB hard drive, new board (with HDMI), and a Pentium dual core proc.

If I were to build a new one, I figure I might as well get a new video card ($200) and Windows 7 ($200). Then the total cost will exceed $700. That's a lot of 9mm ammo :))

Comment

Are you running a Pentium D with DDR? Still using IDE cables for the drives?

Make sure to go OEM with the 7. The retail just ain't worth it.

Comment

Are you running a Pentium D with DDR? Still using IDE cables for the drives?
                              My current machine is AMD Athlon x2 3800+ running at 2.4GHz. I have 2 sticks of PC3500 RAM for better overclocking. The board is an Abit (my favorite brand) NV8 that is SLI capable. But I only have 1 video card due to lack of budget. Hard drives are both SATA. The OS drive has been running on SATA for 6 years. The data drive was IDE until 2 years ago when I bought a new one. Video is a 3 year old GeForce 7900 GTO.

The game that gave me the most trouble was Supreme Commander. It's on a massive board with massive number of units and complex terrain. My system's memory was simply inadequate to deal with it. The computer was constantly swapping memory and kills performance.

Make sure to go OEM with the 7. The retail just ain't worth it.
                              Absolutely! I'll probably get one from Newegg if I buy it.

One more thought, you can get Windows 7 for $30 if you have a .edu email address....which I don't:(
                              Last edited by gunnut; 23 Oct 09,, 20:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X