Do-it-yourself loft bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do-it-yourself loft bed

Recently moved to a new place, and thought that to conserve space, I should build a loft bed. Done within an 8 hour timeframe (including running to Home Depot and back twice, and plenty of break time). Turned out to be a one-man project but if you ain't got about 40-50 pounds of excess muscle I'd recommend doing it with two.

2x6s form the posts (2 each post in an L shape) and the bedframe (40x80), 1x3s space every 2" along the top, with the box secured to the posts with leftover 2x6s. The box is further secured underneath by 2x4s running the length of the bed, which are additionally secured to the frame with 2x4s. The entire frame is mounted to 3 studs in the walls with 2x4s. 2x2s in the corners of the 2x6 L posts, cross bolted both ways. Absolutely solid as a rock.

For $90, the results:
    Attached Files
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

How do you get up there when you've been drinking?
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
      How do you get up there when you've been drinking?
      Hmm... didn't think of that. But that reminds me, I probably ought to put railings on so I don't roll off.

Comment

I'd suggest an angle brace at least on the one side facing the camera. The one leg is out there by itself and will eventually flex.

I'd also have you consider running 2x4 across the floor to "Box" the bottom of the structure.

I'm in super-overkill when it comes to building some things.
        Last edited by Ytlas; 09 Sep 09,, 04:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
          I'd suggest an angle brace at least on the one side facing the camera. The one leg is out there by itself and will eventually flex.

I'd also have you consider running 2x4 across the floor to "Box" the bottom of the structure.

I'm in super-overkill when it comes to building some things.
          That thing is not going anywhere except thru the floor if he adds another stick of wood to it. :))
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

I'm with Ytlas, I think it needs steel angle bracing and also a concrete plinth.;)
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              I'm with Ytlas, I think it needs steel angle bracing and also a concrete plinth.;)
              No doubt I-beam construction would have been better...geez, it's only a bed, not a launch platform for Discovery.:))
              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Hmmm, now you come to mention it, exhaust flues and an emergency egress flying fox.....
                "Ironduke has cleared the tower..."
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post

I recommend a flying buttress.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Oh come on, he's not that fat.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

How do you convince somebody to go there with you? Present it as personality test - are you adventerous enough to do it ? :)
                      If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                        How do you convince somebody to go there with you? Present it as personality test - are you adventerous enough to do it ? :)
                        I'd tell her to keep her head down. If that doesn't work maybe some foam cushioning on the ceiling.

On a more serious note, I'm thinking of naming the area underneath as the "Man Cave".

Comment

Works. Add a rail on the side and a ladder on the end.
                          Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                          (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                            Works. Add a rail on the side and a ladder on the end.
                            Yep, rail is going to have to be added. I'm also thinking of sanding it and putting on a coat of varnish too. Anybody have recommendations on an angle for a ladder? I'm thinking 65 or 70 degrees, two 2x6s with 18" steps made from leftover 2x6. I think I'll go with lag screws to fasten the steps to the sides of the ladder.

Looks like I'll be sleeping underneath it tonight. Hopefully I can pick up a twin (regular or extra long) for free from an upper scale neighborhood (read: free of bedbugs).

Comment

When building your ladder.....think that she might want to keep her high heels on. Ummm.... for whatever reason.....
                              Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Working...
                              X